Active Shooter at Navy Yard in DC

Motive and choice of target only needs to make sense to the attacker(s) and likely wouldn't make sense to people thinking rationally. What is going to matter is who these guys associated themselves with in the past, or continued to associate themselves with as they carried out their attack.

Statistically the nut-heads more often come out of the left wing but it is certainly possible that a libertarian has lost his marbles and is fed up. I just wouldn't bet on it.

Looks like one of the shooters was a retired CPO. That explains how he gained access.

Makes me wonder what "reactive" policies will happen against us retirees.....

Looks like one of the shooters was a retired CPO. That explains how he gained access.

Makes me wonder what "reactive" policies will happen against us retirees.....

So a retired officer can just nonchalantly go back on base no questions asked?

Running out of the building might also get you killed by friendly fire..what a cluster.

Not according to the active shooter training I received: If you have no choice but to attempt escape from the shooting gallery, hold your hands in the air (empty) as you exit so that responding LE know you are not a threat. You'll be fine.

But that only works if the guard follows through with it...

A long line of cars can cause someone to take shortcuts...

Nope - I've sat in long ****ing lines before. They give no shits. They try to open up more lanes, or check two or three cars at once. But cutting corners is something they don't do.

ETA: Up next, ban military style clothing so police can identify you more easily!

So a retired officer can just nonchalantly go back on base no questions asked?
Yes. We have IDs that grant us base privileges such as exchange, commissary, etc. Some bases have an extensive Morale office that rent boats/campers, sell concert tickets yada yada. I interchange which ID I use frequently, my CaC ID as contractor or my Retired ID when accessing the base here.

Nope - I've sat in long ****ing lines before. They give no shits. They try to open up more lanes, or check two or three cars at once. But cutting corners is something they don't do.

Perhaps at your base. Did you read my post (#174)?

Yes, easily.

They don't even really check the ID all the time. When I was on active duty there were a couple of times where I accidentally pulled out a credit card or something instead of my ID. I still got waived through. One time I rolled out to hit up a bar on a Friday after evening formation. I'd changed into civies but forgot my ID in the shirt pocket of my uniform. When coming back to base I just held up my driver's license but kinda put my thumb over the part that said "Massachusetts" (it was one of the under 21 vertical licenses, although I was over 21 at the time). The MP just waived me right through without even batting an eye. Seriously, if you just want to rack up a quick body count on a suicide mission a CONUS military base is a really easy target. You'll get a lot of heat after a few minutes, but it'll take some time to mobilize a QRF.

I did a lot of work at Portsmouth, inside the CIA (Controlled Industrial Area) where the LA class subs are. Once you had the sticker on your car and you had a base pass, it was come and go as you please.

These guys had the right papers.

It's strange to me that such a big and important base has one guy between the external and internal environments. Makes it easy for anyone to stroll right in, which is probably what happened here.

First of all, remember where they are. This isn't the green zone in Baghdad, it's DC. And there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of "high value" targets. There's a guard gate which may or may not have actual soldiers/sailors/marines working it. Once you get beyond that, there's checkpoint access to buildings/areas within that are manned, and manned predominently with rent-a-cop security forces, which mostly won't have guns. From my experience at NAVSEA facilities, once you're past the gate the rent-a-cops won't be much resistance. I'd bet that coming out of this, there will be more weapons training and armed officers though.

The base that Gillham and I are at scans the cards.

I've been to other bases that grill me hard, 100% of the time. Asking for rental agreements, second ID or Driver's License, asking to remove my sunglasses, 2nd ID for occupants in the car. I don't recall one time that I've just been waved through flashing a cred.

It's literally in the process of being implemented nationwide.

Gotcha.

Looks like these guys are just some lucky sonsofbitches to do this before it has been fully implemented.

Though you think they would have done this at bases in DC first....

WASHINGTON— Up to three gunmen, at least two dressed in military-style clothing, killed several people and wounded at least four others in a shooting spree at the U.S. Navy Yard on Monday, officials said.

A suspected gunman was among the dead and Washington D.C. police said they were searching for two other possible shooters they described as one white man and one black man. Officials said not all the facts were immediately known about the shooting that began at about 8:36 a.m. EDT.

Navy Yard shooting deaths injuries - chicagotribune.com

I already am hearing the people in my office talking about, "These things are gonna keep happening as long as the people who want people to have guns, keep throwing money around."

Was it one of these fine fellas?
lil-wayne-money.gif

It's not like the NRA is funded by the .govs magic money machine... I would also bet the anti movement spends some serious cash.

I've been to other bases that grill me hard, 100% of the time. Asking for rental agreements, second ID or Driver's License, asking to remove my sunglasses, 2nd ID for occupants in the car. I don't recall one time that I've just been waved through flashing a cred.

Things certainly may have changed in the past couple years. This was MCBH Kaneohe Bay from 2005-2007 that I'm referring to.

CNN saying 1 dead .

Looking for one man with hand gun and one black man in OD with long rifle .
Now there showing over head maps showing how far away the White House is.

Obama is probably not even at the White House. He probably golfing and thus perfectly safe. Even then, he would still be quite safe. Penetrating White House security would be difficult at best.

Obama is probably not even at the White House. He probably golfing and thus perfectly safe. Even then, he would still be quite safe. Penetrating White House security would be difficult at best.

He's at the White House, or somewhere close. He was doing some talk about the economy, but he mentioned the shooting and Syria first.

It's all ready starting: (from 1mmagc.org)
Newtown Action Alliance at it already. From their page:

Nine months later and AR-15's are still being used to massacre Americans, in America. Our hearts and prayers go out to all victims and family members at the Naval shipyard in Washington DC. Over the next 48-72 hours, we will be on Capitol Hill with victims from cities across America, meeting with lawmakers who continue to look away from this epidemic.

Please support us. Visit this page (Take Action « Newtown Action Alliance). Scroll down and start contacting these lawmakers who are responsible for our lax gun trafficking laws, background check loopholes, and for legalizing military style assault weapons. Tell them enough is enough!

[rofl]

That's beautiful. These pieces of shit need to get hobbies other than the same old game.

Olympus Has Fallen made it look easy...

Back
Top Bottom