A sear is "restricted"

I did the trigger work on my MP by modifying the sear. I may be giving this gun to my father and he likes the heavier pull while he's at the range.

I figured I could buy a new sear, but when I emailed Smith and Wesson they replied saying a sear is restricted and cannot be sold.

What gives?

Derek

Some manufs only sell parts to gunsmiths.

It' probably also could be some kind of vain attempt by S+W to keep the
AG's goons away from them.

IIRC Brownells has M+P parts, and I believe you can even do a trigger job with
whatever is already in the gun, to some degree.

-Mike

I needed to do some work on the bolt stop on my Remington 700 but all of the parts I wanted are listed as restricted: "FFL REQUIRED (FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE)" in the Remington parts catalogue. I ended up just reworking the one that came with the rifle and fortunately I didn't screw it up...

I just ordered the assembly from brownwell's. I'm just waiting for the email to come back saying "we wont ship to ma".

S&W will only sell fire control parts for the M&P to gunsmiths and they won't even sell to gunsmiths if they are in Mass. Some sort of executive decision at S&W.

That is EFFING rediculous. I ordered parts directly from S&W, including a sear, hammer, trigger bar, block spring, etc... and had no problem. Mind you, those parts were for an Interarms PPK/s, but they didn't give me shit about it.

Why would they restrict sales of handgun parts for one particular model, but not others?

Why would they restrict sales of handgun parts for one particular model, but not others?

Because it's a model they had to extra-cripple to make it MA compliant. The PPK trigger is terrible enough as it is stock to be sold by dealers in MA without modifications. [laugh]

Legally speaking they could sell the parts, no reason not to, this is pure lawyerism at its best.

-Mike

When buying the sear block assembly you must pay very close attention to the one you are actually buying. If you just want the sear out of it then it doesn't matter.

If you want the block to work, there are 3 different ones to chose from. It depends on if you have the "lock" on the sear and if you want/have the magazine disconnect. Ask me how I found out about this. :) I was just looking for a sear so it didn't really matter to me. I wanted it as a spare as I messed with the Sear that was in my M&P 9. I'm slowly messing with it.

I believe the standard is the one with the lock and the magazine safety. I also believe the No Il one is without the lock and the No Il and Mo is the one without the lock and without the magazine safetly. (caveat, I may be wrong on which is which).

The schematic is here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=859/schematicsdetail/M_P__Semi_Auto_

The S&W parts catalog lists all three.
25A* 277640000 $28.92 X SEAR HOUSING BLOCK ASSY
- STANDARD

25B* 390900000 $25.77 X SEAR HOUSING BLOCK ASSY
- NO IL, NO MS

25C* 390910000 $24.75 X SEAR HOUSING BLOCK ASSY
- NO IL

What I did find is the trigger reset spring that can be bought from them makes a huge difference to the one that was in mine. Mine was Red and the one I bought was yellow. Night and day when changed out. Number 18 on the schematic.

It doesn’t mater which block you get you can make the block into any configuration. The lock can be driven out with the tap of the hammer and punch, it doesn’t damage the block or the lock you can take the mag safety lever out of the block and just slide a longer spring in place to tension the sear disconnect or you can add the mag safety parts to the no safety block.
The triggers springs that are sold are the non-Mass lighter trigger springs, don't get caught up in color. No Mass. springs are sold not even by S&W they are all non-Mass. springs, and by the way the non-Mass. spring will make a difference without doing anything else.
So if one sear block is on back order get the one that is available and change it to suit your needs, it's no big deal.
Also do not change the trigger bar to a non-Mass. one you are better off with the Mass. trigger bar because it has a higher ramp and will engage the sear quicker than the non-Mass trigger bar.
If you need any direction with any of this just give me a call I will be happy to help.
Also keep this in mind even if you buy your own part you may want me to install them for you, because I am a certified S&W armorer and if I do the job it will not void your warranty.

Back
Top Bottom