A Random Thought On 2A...

I think I'm burning out at Dicks Sporting Goods...I love the gun counter, but wandering beyond it is a massive mess of retail woe. I tend to retreat to the gun counter - it's my little island in a sea of consumer madness....

Today, a young man sporting a southern accent strolled up to the gun counter and politely interrupted my mind drift. He asked if I knew anything about Massachusetts gun laws..."Some", I replied. He asked what the procedures were for getting his hunting license and if military veterans could get a discount on them. Stumped, I began thumbing through the Abstract, but he politely interrupted me again and asked to see an 1187 SuperMag we have on sale. I replied with my typical: "I just need to see your Massachusetts FID or LTC"...With a confused look, he said: "I'm sorry sir, I need a license to have a gun here?" "Sadly, yes", I replied. "Can you tell me about handguns - can I buy one of those with a license?" "As long as you're 21", I explained...."Wow sir, that's messed up". I just spent 2-years in Afghanistan, shooting guns that would make your head spin and throwing grenades, (I was really good at that), and I come home and can't even carry a pistol until I'm 21? That really stinks sir"....

I talked to this young Marine for the next half-hour. The rest of the store went silent to me, as I focused in on all he was telling me - some of which I had to hold back tears for. This young man sacrificed himself - his youth, his innocence. He will carry with him memories of fallen comrades and the end result of his proficiency with a hand grenade, (his buddies nicknamed him "The Lobber"). He looked like a kid you'd see kicking a hackey-sack in a park, but in his eyes was the soul of a man who has seen more than I can know. Yet, this young man - fit to throw himself in front of the enemy, can't walk into a sporting goods store and walk out with a gun....

This isn't news to me - it merely reinforces how far away from the principles set forth by our founding fathers we have gone... Adrift in an ocean of forgotten heritage, this fine, respectful young man is yet another victim of a system polluted....

Collectively, we do not deserve to even speak the names of those men who declared our rights as those given by God. We bastardize their memory...

Thanks for sharing that story, Mark... perhaps it should be sent to the editors at several of our papers?

+2

Mark, that's precisely why I'd love to see a legal exemption in our laws for anyone who serves/served honorably in the Armed Forces . . . they have EARNED the right to all "privileges" of an adult, regardless of age (e.g. vote, right to drink/buy alcohol, guns and carry them, no further need for "training" to get FID/LTC, etc.).

It would be the least we could do for those that fight to secure our freedom (what's left of it [thinking]).

It sounds crazy, but I literally wanted to hand this Marine my HK USP and tell him to have a nice day....

You're right Len, there should be an exemption. The guy can't even buy a goddamned beer. Moreover, there should not be the need to have an exemption in the first place. This isn't just a Massachusetts thing in my book. This is a nation founded on freedom, justice and liberty - that once revered men who took up arms in defense of their nation, gone completely awry....

I wonder why the part about needing to be 21 for a handgun purchase was a surprise to him? That's a Federal law which applies here, as well as his home state.

I wonder why the part about needing to be 21 for a handgun purchase was a surprise to him? That's a Federal law which applies here, as well as his home state.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. What surprised him was needing a license to own a gun at all in Massachusetts, (he's from North Carolina). What disappointed him was not being able to even own a handgun until he's 21. He also would not be the first young man to be unaware of Federal law. I wasn't aware of it either really, considering I had my first handgun at 16....[thinking] It's very possible that he had access to handguns in his home state throughout his life, (as I did).

That wasn't the point of this anyway....

Further evidence of the lunacy of MA guns laws--specifically the fact that he can't even hold a sale item without the proper permitting

I went through the same thing when I got home about 9 months before my 21st b-day.

You can serve your country, vote in elections to choose who runs it, and decide the fate of a person accused of murder on a jury--but exercising a constituitonal right and enbibing of an adult beverage are apparently much too weighty of responsibilites in comparison.

Further evidence of the lunacy of MA guns laws--specifically the fact that he can't even hold a sale item without the proper permitting

I went through the same thing when I got home about 9 months before my 21st b-day.

You can serve your country, vote in elections to choose who runs it, and decide the fate of a person accused of murder on a jury--but exercising a constituitonal right and enbibing of an adult beverage are apparently much too weighty of responsibilites in comparison.

Yeah, it's absolutely sadly amazing...it's a state, as well as national disgrace. Thank you for your service by the way...[cheers]

My son leavea for Parris island April 19th (there is a waiting list to get in)He's 18.If I didn't gift him his 9mm Taurus and buy his ammo he couldn't have them.Yet he has a NH ccw. MassMark very generously let Will fire some of his toys at Timbers place and I think it's outrageous that young men and women who step up to the plate for our country can't even enjoy the same rights as others.

My son leavea for Parris island April 19th (there is a waiting list to get in)He's 18.If I didn't gift him his 9mm Taurus and buy his ammo he couldn't have them.Yet he has a NH ccw. MassMark very generously let Will fire some of his toys at Timbers place and I think it's outrageous that young men and women who step up to the plate for our country can't even enjoy the same rights as others.

He's a good kid Tim - it was my pleasure. He lit up the Uzi for sure - I should leave it to him in my will...[grin] Tell him I send my best and look I forward to some more blasting when he gets back! [cheers]

I'd like to see that story on the front page of the Globe.

and upset the last of their $%#$$%& readers?

Mark, your right on the money, it's a very clear example of the cancer that runs rampant in our country and more strongly in our own state.

Nonsense. He can not only hold a gun; he can shoot it, assuming he's with a duly licensed individual.

How do you think people GET firearms training?

Nonsense. He can not only hold a gun; he can shoot it, assuming he's with a duly licensed individual.

I think the issue is if you do not have your liscense, you cannot go into a store and hold a firearm.

I went to Collectors Gallery in Stoneham the day after thanksgiving, asking about who to see for handgun safety courses. After getting their recommendation, I said "Well since I'm here, you mind if I see what fits my hand?" It was with a tired intake of breath, he robotically recited how if he hands me a firearm, I will be in illegal possession of a firearm of which I can be put in jail for up to 2 years, as could he for giving it to me. Paraphrased of course, but ridiculous nonetheless.

Sure I was able to handle firearms in my safety course, but there isn't a store in MA that can legally hand me a firearm to aim at the floor.

That really is sad Mark. God bless him and may he move to a free state.

So, which "free state" allows such purchases? Or is this just reflexive MA bashing?

It is frustrating for soldiers who have been entrusted to protect us in foreign lands but can't own a firearm they could if they were an Iraqi citizen in some cases.

In the early 70's many states rolled back the drinking age to 18, but they then got rolled right back again to 21 over the next few years.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that story, Mark... perhaps it should be sent to the editors at several of our papers?

+2

No shit. Start that with "Dear Editor" and put it in the mail. Then change it to "Dear Senator _______" and send it out again.

ETA: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MassMark again."

I believe in the majority of states you do not have be 21 to carry/purchase a handgun(Private Sale)..Not sure how many of these state states you can get a CCW in..but some you can carry in your car (Florida in glovebox) or you must carry openly (Virginia)

By the way..Great (but sad) story!

You guys are confusing ability to purchase with ability to possess. Federal law is 21 to purchase, but many free states allow younger individuals to own/carry, etc.

Also the whole MA gun store thing -- STORE POLICY only. The only restriction for a qualified unlicensed person to handle/shoot a gun is to be in the presence of a licensed individual.

I think the issue is if you do not have your liscense, you cannot go into a store and hold a firearm.

I went to Collectors Gallery in Stoneham the day after thanksgiving, asking about who to see for handgun safety courses. After getting their recommendation, I said "Well since I'm here, you mind if I see what fits my hand?" It was with a tired intake of breath, he robotically recited how if he hands me a firearm, I will be in illegal possession of a firearm of which I can be put in jail for up to 2 years, as could he for giving it to me. Paraphrased of course, but ridiculous nonetheless.

Sure I was able to handle firearms in my safety course, but there isn't a store in MA that can legally hand me a firearm to aim at the floor.

I like Collectors, but (as Scriv would say) this is pure RUBBISH you were fed! There is no such law preventing a gun shop from handing a gun to an unlicensed person. This is strictly a "store policy", false rumors and perhaps some intimidation by officials (local PD, EOPS, CHSB?) due to ignorance or arrogance.

Indeed!

So, which "free state" allows such purchases? Or is this just reflexive MA bashing?

It is frustrating for soldiers who have been entrusted to protect us in foreign lands but can't own a firearm they could if they were an Iraqi citizen in some cases.

I share your frustration. Fed Law only restricts SALE by FFLs of guns/ammo to under-21 people. But MOST states have NO SUCH RESTRICTION on private purchases or possession. Some allow CCW with/without permit for those <21 yo. Obviously MA is not one of those states in any regard (no surprise).

You guys are confusing ability to purchase with ability to possess. Federal law is 21 to purchase, but many free states allow younger individuals to own/carry, etc.

Also the whole MA gun store thing -- STORE POLICY only. The only restriction for a qualified unlicensed person to handle/shoot a gun is to be in the presence of a licensed individual.

Exactly correct, see my comments above.

That really is sad Mark. God bless him and may he move to a free state.

Which one? The 21 to buy a handgun thing is a federal law. There are no "free states" for that one.

Mark, that's precisely why I'd love to see a legal exemption in our laws for anyone who serves/served honorably in the Armed Forces . . . they have EARNED the right to all "privileges" of an adult, regardless of age (e.g. vote, right to drink/buy alcohol, guns and carry them, no further need for "training" to get FID/LTC, etc.).

It would be the least we could do for those that fight to secure our freedom (what's left of it [thinking]).

That would be nice, but I'd rather see everyone get treated like an adult at age 18. I'm all for military service, but I don't like the idea of treating military guys or any other group differently in the eyes of the law. It would set a bad precedent IMHO.

I think the issue is if you do not have your liscense [sic], you cannot go into a store and hold a firearm.

That is NOT the issue and NOT the law.

AGAIN, Bulls**t.

You do not know what you are talking about. Neither, if what you said above is true, does that clerk. Either that, or he is telling you that as a scam to cover up the fact it is simply store policy.

Sort of like a certain range that has a big sign on its door declaring that it is "illegal to shoot silhouette targets." As the range is a commercial enterprise and not a club, still less the one club actually holding a club LTC, that assertion is also utter crap.

That sucks! and to think at the ripe old age of 24 the Feds gave me a 512,000 lb airplane, four B-38 thermonuclear gravity weapons and 8 SRAM thermonuclear cruise missiles. Boy times have changed!

Back
Top Bottom