• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A little rant HANSON ROD AND GUN...made my kid cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel ya, I cried too when they stopped the machine gun shoot . [crying]

Well so far you can at least still shoot machine guns there if you own one or carry a card.

Accept if they're 50BMG. They never had a rule against it, but I was laughed at after I was told at the rifle range we couldn't.

But, then again, isn't this the club that spent all this $$$$$$ to "fix" the rifle range drainage and it still had puddles/ponds of water after a rain?
I left there after that debacle and went to New Bedford. at the time dues were $60/year for non-resident.

Is Plymouth close to you? Good breakfast near it at least.

Accept if they're 50BMG. They never had a rule against it, but I was laughed at after I was told at the rifle range we couldn't.

But, then again, isn't this the club that spent all this $$$$$$ to "fix" the rifle range drainage and it still had puddles/ponds of water after a rain?
I left there after that debacle and went to New Bedford. at the time dues were $60/year for non-resident.

Good day Adam, hope all is well.
yes drainage problem club has been always a issue since the beginning. built on a swamp, what to do. the new pistol ranges will be a mess also. they had to really dig them down grade to get the hieght of the back stop high enough.

I dont remember the year but the 50 cals went out the door when they had a few decimate the old berm and send a round or to over to bridgewater , i think that was the year they also set the property on fiere with the tracers also....

im not a huge fan of plymouth....plus last i checked not open to new members..

How The ****? Is shooting Prone a safety issue? It is the most accurate way to shoot as you are steadiest when you caný move around.

On a side note we had a guy try to get concealed carry banned from our GUN club. That argument didn't last long.

They don't think of shooting prone as safe or unsafe, they are thinking bench shooting only.... I'm telling you mag limits next.

I dont remember the year but the 50 cals went out the door when they had a few decimate the old berm and send a round or to over to bridgewater , i think that was the year they also set the property on fiere with the tracers also....

im not a huge fan of plymouth....plus last i checked not open to new members..

Plymouth is much more of a fudd club. Nothing but paper targets allowed, no rapid firing and they instituted a 5 round max rule recently.

Most clubs have met their limit unfortunately. You may have to bite the bullet on this one.
As far as biodegradable clays go, 20 years ago I hid one in the woods at Walpole to see how long it took to break down. A few years ago when I was a member again, I went scouting and found the clay and aside from the orange paint turning white, it is still in one piece.

As far as biodegradable clays go, 20 years ago I hid one in the woods at Walpole to see how long it took to break down. A few years ago when I was a member again, I went scouting and found the clay and aside from the orange paint turning white, it is still in one piece.

To be fair, now take one, break it into tiny pieces, spread them around, and wait another 20 years. I'm betting it'll be a different story.

got it, adding hanson r&g to my boycott list [laugh]

Boycotting isn't the answer. Members need to dive in and get more involved, not less involved. Only then will they be allowed to participate in the inner workings of the club leadership and then work to get the changes they want.

Most clubs have met their limit unfortunately. You may have to bite the bullet on this one.

Ya, it's really more of a, it's made of clay and therefor not bad for the environment thing. Rather than an, it will breakdown and go away thing. My yard is made of clay. I'm willing to bet it has been here for more than 20 yrs as well... [wink]

Boycotting isn't the answer. Members need to dive in and get more involved, not less involved. Only then will they be allowed to participate in the inner workings of the club leadership and then work to get the changes they want.

They would be better off waiting for the FUDDS to die and then rejoining. Most of those old timers have been sitting on the couch at their club for 40-50 yrs. Telling everyone about how trap is the only real shooting sport and discussing the 47 shotguns they own. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Bob,
You don't really believe that clubs make up stupid rules because they want to sell the club and pocket the money??? I don't think that even makes the top 10 reasons why we have stupid rules.

More likely it's because someone has the ear of an executive committee member and has chirped that they think a specific practice is "unsafe". After 2 people say it the EC believes it to be true and they make a rule. The only way to defeat some of these rules is to find out why it came about. The OP should attend the next meeting and POLITELY ask about the rule and how it came to be. You may be surprised at the reasoning, and possibly it could be easy to discuss the reasons and find an alternative solution that will satisfy everyone.

it may not be in the top 10 reasons but it is a reason that has to be watched for. some clubs like mine have that in their charter. thats one reason i have been an very active at my club. i dont like unnecessary and sometimes stupid rules, so being able to help stop them is another of my goals.

bob

maybe hanson should get the email system running and send out emails for people who dont come in often or cant get to meetings that they need strapping for target stands the shit would pore in.
I get emails from clubs I dont even belong to with up coming events and projects... Hanson I consider my home club so I will fight a little more for it to at least hear a paying members word on my thoughts of the new rule.

AMEN! I belong to a little rc plane club and I get emails galore and an interactive website. Hanson's website is a FUc**** joke and they never send any emails about upcoming meeting agenda. Pretty sad. When I joined I threw out a Hey I would update and manage the website for free and got the Someone handles that already. Nice by handling we must mean we don't do this web stuff.

They don't think of shooting prone as safe or unsafe, they are thinking bench shooting only.... I'm telling you mag limits next.

no what they want to do is drive off shooters that enjoy cmp/nra type shooting. positions, marksmanship and all that red neck stuff.

Lets not kid ourselves every club would just want members to pay their dues and then stay home.... no toll on the property and such.

Wow I really hit a nerve with the redneck thing, hitting a little to close to home. [rofl][crying]

not so much a nerve but it creates and im better than you class of BS we don't need in the gun world. Its bad enough the trap vs skeet vs rifle vs pistol vs bolt action vs semi auto vs girls vs boys vs fudds vs kids shit is still strong at GUN clubs.
So far the best shooters and best people I have ever known are some back woods hicks. Most of the clubs in this area where opened by the same ilk you speak of. Lots of hard working folk just wanna do a bit of chuten.

I'm a member at Hanson, and this thread scares me. I joined Hanson because it was the least fuddish of all the ranges in the Southshore area. It's been awesome up until everyone and their brother decided to get their LTC. I had a tinfoil hat range officer bitching at me a few months ago about the target stand i was using.

Him "its too close to the ground, the bullets will go over the berm"
Me- "well the stand was in the stand shed, so i grabbed it"
Him -" i dont know what its doing in the shed, it's to low"
Me- "ok"?
Him- " The club is gonna start cracking down, they are implementing all kinds of new rules in the coming months"

And he proceeded to yammer on and on about stupid fudd BS, then me and my buddy left. I hope this place doesn't turn to fuddish. This is first time i had a range officer act like a know it all hard ass.
Steal targets are my number one staple, they ban those i'll be pissed.

Who cares about the clays, they harm no one, and no possible way could they cause a riccochet, thats total BS?. For the most part the range is very clean, when i see orange clays all over the berm i think nothing of cleanliness, looks fine to me. Please old fudds stop bitching about nothing.

Last edited:
I have been shooting trap there for a little over a year and listen to the old timer club members talk about how the rifle guys call the trap guys a bunch of redneck hicks. I have never shot at their rifle range. I was amusing myself at your expense on a day off due to snow. I have no hard feelings towards anyone. There is a name for what I was doing, it slips my mind right now, maybe I will remember it

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm a member at Hanson, and this thread scares me. I joined Hanson because it was the least fuddish of all the ranges in the Southshore area. It's been awesome up until everyone and their brother decided to get their LTC. I had a tinfoil hat range officer bitching at me a few months ago about the target stand i was using.

Me- "ok"?
Him- " The club is gonna start cracking down, they are implementing all kinds of new rules in the coming months"

And he proceeded to yammer on and on about stupid fudd BS, then me and my buddy left. I hope this place doesn't turn to fuddish. This is first time i had a range officer act like a know it all hard ass.

Who cares about the clays, they harm no one, and no possible way could they cause a riccochet, thats total BS?. For the most part the range is very clean, when i see orange clays all over the berm i think nothing of cleanliness, looks fine to me. Please old fudds stop bitching about nothing.

Given that, it's only a matter of time. Start shopping for another club. Sounds like "fudd aids" has infected the place.

Given that, it's only a matter of time. Start shopping for another club. Sounds like "fudd aids" has infected the place.

Easier said than done, find me a place on the south shore that doesn't have BS rapid fire rules, to many rounds in a mag rule, no steal, no clays...etc etc.

Me- "ok"?

they have been banned in the past and im sure they will again.

As for the low targets that has been a issue for a long time. if the targets are to low inside 25 yards the bullets do bounce off the ground and over the berm....this was the reason the berm became so high several years ago. Its a range material problem. its pretty compact hard dirt under that little bit of sand. this has been a on going problem.

The whole elevated target "rule" was supposed to be put in place many years ago. Part of the solution was the building of the pistol range to get the pistols off the rifle range....way way back the rifle range was supposed to be 25 yard minimum distance except for air rifles.
Some day when your down there watch just how far up the berm the bullets end up when shootimg targets up close.

I still have my target stand I built (modified saw horse) that held all my spinners and a few slots down the top rail that clays fit in and other items like those round chalky candies<excellent for testing 22 skills at distance. Also had some tennis balls with string through them along with a few assorted steel pieces hanging fro them. The elevated "rule" just never was enforced.

There are a lot of RSO that are not on the board that don't agree with the rules but even still we must obey them in the interim to getting them changed. Hanson rod and gun as far as I know every member is a RSO. I do agree some are bull headed about approaching members.

Hanson is not the best at getting new info out about changes and even slower to get things in writing and posted.

See these rules come into effect because the club wont take action on the offenders but rather just eliminate the problem all together.... still don't see the problem with the clays though.

Last edited:
Fudds are a large subset of the busy-body, know-what's-best-for-you crowd. They seem to be allergic to black rifles. Another subset of the busy-body crowd are the Felix Ungers who like a manicured range. This particular effeminate type has short rooted feelings of inadequacy and attempts to compensate by calling masculine men 'rednecks'. I haven't read through all of this thread but there's probably a fudd or two and at least one Felix weighing in. (lol, just poking fun)

Paper and clays on the berm are the only approved targets at my club. However, we're somewhat tolerant of bottles of water etc. so long as the mess gets picked up. We've been known to cook up some creative targets for Boy Scout outings. Our club is generally a good time and there's a balance of people to keep the rules from getting further out of hand. It's a damn shame when baseless rules proliferate.

Personally I think the trap and skeet debris fields look like caca- much worse than a few clays that are quickly pulverized into the berm. However, lots of folks are having fun and that's what it's all about. I play fudd a few times a year too but mostly to shoot delicious things to eat like partridge and pheasant.

Easier said than done, find me a place on the south shore that doesn't have BS rapid fire rules, to many rounds in a mag rule, no steal, no clays...etc etc.

Sometimes you have to be willing to drive. It's that simple. If not your options are going to be limited... and usually marginal.

I have been shooting trap there for a little over a year and listen to the old timer club members talk about how the rifle guys call the trap guys a bunch of redneck hicks. I have never shot at their rifle range. I was amusing myself at your expense on a day off due to snow. I have no hard feelings towards anyone. There is a name for what I was doing, it slips my mind right now, maybe I will remember it

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

careful backpedaling that fast, you're going to trip over yourself and hurt something.

I don't think I nodded with a blank look on my face to so many warnings/statements that defy the laws of physics as I did in my club.
The stories in the bible pale when compared.

To simplify, if an 80mm mortar would have been fired from Fenway, you could not set foot at Yankee stadium "out of fear of ricochets".

Well, it's a FUDD spirited club, what can I do. They're all nice guys and funny, so I take the good with the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom