A little rant HANSON ROD AND GUN...made my kid cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
not to hijack the thread but...........i believe some clubs enact really stupid rules because in certain cases if the rules are super asinine people will leave the club and move on to better ones. if enough people leave and the club can not pay its bills or taxes it could end up for sale. those officers in office at that time stand to recieve the lions share of the money. it starts at the top and ends with the member getting a minor share of the money...but its the officers that get the most. especially in the eastern part of the state where there is not a ton of open space for building on. i dont know if this could be a reason behind stupid rules or not but it sure doesnt sound like they are done out of concern for safety.

bob

Last edited:
Started skimming this thread and wasn't sure if the discussion was about a gun range and the berms not being pretty enough or if it was about a country club and someone upper-decked a putting green[thinking]

COME ON BOSTON SHOOTING PRONE IS SO REDNECK[thinking] CMP IMHO is all but dead at hanson once steve and paul move on from running it.
Then the question will be where did all theammo go..... Ohh yeah hanson has not been affiliated club for a long time

Who in the he'll shoots prone anyways?? You can get dirty that way.

As Hanson Rod and Gun has gotten bigger, its inevitable knuckleheads slip through the cracks. I have been going there since I was 5 and think its a great club. I remember we used to shoot at exploding targets, detergent bottles, etc. Then people stopped picking up after themselves and started ruining the fun for others.

Gun clubs are a revolving door of brain freezes. People that shoot up wood target stands and think the wood fairy comes to repair them. People that build a house near a gun club that has been there for 50 years and expect it the close down because they don't like the noise. Some guy just gets his LTC and bring 4 friends who never shot a gun as well to the range and proceed to take up 5 lanes/tables but shoot one person a time.

Last edited:
not to hijack the thread but...........i believe some clubs enact really stupid rules because in certain cases if the rules are super asinine people will leave the club and move on to better ones. if enough people leave and the club can not pay its bills or taxes it could end up for sale. those officers in office at that time stand to recieve the lions share of the money. it starts at the top and ends with the member getting a minor share of the money...but its the officers that get the most. especially in the eastern part of the state where there is not a ton of open space for building on. i dont know if this could be a reason behind stupid rules or not but it sure doesnt sound like they are done out of concern for safety.

bob

Bob,
You don't really believe that clubs make up stupid rules because they want to sell the club and pocket the money??? I don't think that even makes the top 10 reasons why we have stupid rules.

More likely it's because someone has the ear of an executive committee member and has chirped that they think a specific practice is "unsafe". After 2 people say it the EC believes it to be true and they make a rule. The only way to defeat some of these rules is to find out why it came about. The OP should attend the next meeting and POLITELY ask about the rule and how it came to be. You may be surprised at the reasoning, and possibly it could be easy to discuss the reasons and find an alternative solution that will satisfy everyone.

I have been a member for 6 years prior to this year and I used to love it. Up until my last range visit last December when I was crucified for putting a clay on the berm the range has been great. But I hadn't been that often earlier and found out that day about the "sweeping changes" to the policies. Good riddance, when you give memberships out like candy for the revenue this is what happens, sweeping change. They may as well rent it out daily at this point.

daily rental coming soon......for the special folks most likely.

As Hanson Rod and Gun has gotten bigger, its inevitable knuckleheads slip through the cracks. I have been going there since I was 5 and think its a great club. I remember we used to shoot at exploding targets, detergent bottles, etc. Then people stopped picking up after themselves and started ruining the fun for others.

Gun clubs are a revolving door of brain freezes. People that shoot up wood target stands and think the wood fairy comes to repair them. People that build a house near a gun club that has been there for 50 years and expect it the close down because they don't like the noise. Some guy just gets his LTC and bring 4 friends who never shot a gun as well to the range and proceed to take up 5 lanes/tables but shoot one person a time.

and thus they punish the lot for the actions of the few...... ohh the joy

Bob,
You don't really believe that clubs make up stupid rules because they want to sell the club and pocket the money??? I don't think that even makes the top 10 reasons why we have stupid rules.

More likely it's because someone has the ear of an executive committee member and has chirped that they think a specific practice is "unsafe". After 2 people say it the EC believes it to be true and they make a rule. The only way to defeat some of these rules is to find out why it came about. The OP should attend the next meeting and POLITELY ask about the rule and how it came to be. You may be surprised at the reasoning, and possibly it could be easy to discuss the reasons and find an alternative solution that will satisfy everyone.

I asked several of the board and the president...... I did not get a decent answer to why we cant toss the clays up on the berm NOT on the ground NOT standing up on top of the crest of the berm just toss them up into the impact area. Heck I even suggested it for jrs with 22s only.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel ya, I cried too when they stopped the machine gun shoot . [crying]

Well so far you can at least still shoot machine guns there if you own one or carry a card.

Likely another example of the triumph of legislation over education. Rather than show someone how to do something right, teach them, let's just make it all illegal. [rolleyes]

I remember when the road wasn't paved there, that made for some interesting times trying to get to sunday breakfast.

That does suck but maybe you can pick up some reactive steel targets instead and paint them orange. Something to keep your daughter interested and entertained. There are a number of different options to choose from so get a couple that do different things so she gets additional skills. Unless the fudds banned them too.....

What will happen is eventually is they will apply the old paper targets only rule, lived through that with the promise once people start keeping things clean again we can go back.
I think once hunks of jackets and splatter find there way over the berm into the pistol pit and parking lot steel will be banned again.... except for training and possible IDPA if they get that rolling

I asked several of the board and the president...... I did not get a decent answer to why we cant toss the clays up on the berm NOT on the ground NOT standing up on top of the crest of the berm just toss them up into the impact area. Heck I even suggested it for jrs with 22s only.
Sounds like a member-lead revolt is in order [grin]

Yup, then some faggot comes along, hurr durring, and bans all reactive targets because of "association "

I remember when the road wasn't paved there, that made for some interesting times trying to get to sunday breakfast.

so do I, funny thing back then we would collect bullets at the range while my dad had his coffee.... just think what would happen now if you seen redneck kids collecting lead bullets on the range.

so do I, funny thing back then we would collect bullets at the range while my dad had his coffee.... just think what would happen now if you seen redneck kids collecting lead bullets on the range.

Send you back to Flint?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by J.A.C

Yup, then some faggot comes along, hurr durring, and bans all reactive targets because of "association "

Yeah, they just put a new rule into effect that Reactive targets may be used, however they can not be used within 50 feet (approx. 17 yards) of the firing range line unless elevated.

I haven't heard about a rule against eggs. Buy a few dozen store brand and shoot away. Cover the aftermath with dirt. That is the ultimate biodegradable target and ZERO chance of 1 and a trillion
ricochets

- - - Updated - - -

I know right. I collected brass and lead like a blood hound. Caught many hot shells down my shirt but it barely phased me. Now after being found doing that I would only be able to see my father on weekends in a padded room.

I dont think out of the 1000 plus ( i thought it was 1400) members we have about a 12% active member rate? really the place is a ghost town often.

Again so instead of the club tossing out the offenders (this will depend on who the offender is) the club will just shut down everything for all?
Wood frame targets do get shot up, maybe hanson should get the email system running and send out emails for people who dont come in often or cant get to meetings that they need strapping for target stands the shit would pore in.
I get emails from clubs I dont even belong to with up coming events and projects... Hanson I consider my home club so I will fight a little more for it to at least hear a paying members word on my thoughts of the new rule.

ALL HANSON MEMBERS are supossed to be self policing If a new guy is taking up benches with non members YOU say something. I do speak up when rules are broken. I will tell people even though I disagree with the rule on the clays that they can not do it.

OK im really bored with the snow.

if you don't like the direction the officers and e-board are taking the club then volunteer to run for en elected seat. you can get other members to support you and then enact the rules you feel are appropriate.

Do you attend meetings? Are you actively involved in the club and its club politics or do you just go there to shoot once in a while?

I get that the little girl likes to shoot the clays on the rifle range. It is fun. But aside from the dues check how much more do you contribute to the club?

If it's a matter of safety that is one thing. I can't see by how this has been described that it is a safety issue. But I don't know the club so I don't really know. So maybe its a matter of cleaning the debris field. Maybe volunteer to do that monthly so it doesn't get to look to ratty.

Like I said, I don't know how involved you are in the club. You could just be a 2 or 3 times per year guy going there with your kid and making a mess.....if so I can understand a bit as to why they would get PO'd. Another thing...are you buying and bringing your won clays or are you using the clubs?

Rifle/pistol and trap/skeet are totally separate entities at my club. Could be you are taking from one and using on the other and they want it stopped....

Anyway, there could be a solution to this but you need to work through your club to get it. Maybe sign up and join the R&P committee if you have one...get more involved in the club and suggest the change...

Last edited:
if you don't like the direction the officers and e-board are taking the club then volunteer to run for en elected seat. you can get other members to support you and then enact the rules you feel are appropriate.

Do you attend meetings? Are you actively involved in the club and its club politics or do you just go there to shoot once in a while?

I get that the little girl likes to shoot the clays on the rifle range. It is fun. But aside from the dues check how much more do you contribute to the club?

If it's a matter of safety that is one thing. I can't see by how this has been described that it is a safety issue. But I don't know the club so I don't really know. So maybe its a matter of cleaning the debris field. Maybe volunteer to do that monthly so it doesn't get to look to ratty.

Like I said, I don't know how involved you are in the club. You could just be a 2 or 3 times per year guy going there with your kid and making a mess.....if so I can understand a bit as to why they would get PO'd. Another thing...are you buying and bringing your won clays or are you using the clubs?

Rifle/pistol and trap/skeet are totally separate entities at my club. Could be you are taking from one and using on the other and they want it stopped....

Anyway, there could be a solution to this but you need to work through your club to get it. Maybe sign up and join the R&P committee if you have one...get more involved in the club and suggest the change...

I was active until I my kids where born. I spend what time at the club usually with non shooting activities. My life schedule doesnt really match up with my hobby for the past 6 years. Wife works every weekend now and im working all week. So since my 1st was born 90% of my club involvement has been based on my kids Xmas party, family day and recently now that shes old enough to shoot , well shooting. My kids are now getting to the point where they are all old enough to bring to the club.
In the past I did do other things, like help with #D archery shoot and setting up for the woodsman challenge. Another event driven out of there? Any how as I move forward I will be getting more involved. As for getting on the board I think the Hanson inner circle is a tough nut to crack?

I have been going to other clubs as they have activities that fit into my crazy schedule. Like CMP matches and IDPA----which I cant seem to get to it either snows or babysitter bails!

I hope once the dust settles on the new range and they get things rolling somethings might get back to normal.

sometimes I walk the trap range and pick up unbroken clays but usually just buy my own because the ones off the trap range get soggy and dont break as nice with bullet impact as fresh new ones.

Last edited:
Not so much the ricochet but it looks like a bunch of redneck yolks have been there

Big deal. Like a range should be super sanitary? As long as there isn't trash blowing around I don't see what the problem is with having ground up clays in the berm. Whats next, airguns only because real guns make too much noise and smoke? [rofl]

Wow I really hit a nerve with the redneck thing, hitting a little to close to home. [rofl][crying]
You still don't get it do you.

As Chinese proverb says, "When reach bottom of hole, stop digging." Well you've dug yourself all the way to China. <plonk>

You didn't believe me when I told ya huh!! Once I get settled in bring her to my new house with its private rage we will blow up clays with tannerite
0167442a021a1d0d75c68c74888063d6.jpg
8c70497bb10a6d8ca50053297a163e92.jpg

sweet! nice set up

- - - Updated - - -

Big deal. Like a range should be super sanitary? As long as there isn't trash blowing around I don't see what the problem is with having ground up clays in the berm. Whats next, airguns only because real guns make too much noise and smoke? [rofl]

ohh dont go there...... lead pellets are on the hit list.

Wow I really hit a nerve with the redneck thing, hitting a little to close to home. [rofl][crying]

Who cares what anyone is? There's more than enough elitist mentality to go around in MA thanks to people just like you.

I can see it now, "Watch out guys, Scott7980 is at the bench. All you quadroons and mulattoes need to step away!"

I see kids with their parents at the range all the time and it takes a real dirtbag to take the fun away from someone out with their kid safely shooting clays.

Time for a podunk club where the only rule is to keep bullets in the backstop.....

Like the ones we have down here. Sate owned and managed. Free to use for anyone. No range officer or any other "official" there. They are completely un-staffed ranges spread around the state forests. Only requirement is that you pick up after yourself. Open sunrise to sunset 7 days a week. The only drawback is that few of them are longer than 100 yds and none longer than 200 yds. All the ranges are in great shape and have really nice covered shooting tables.

Funny we had a good run at Hanson before the influx of new members. We were self policing and had fun with the sport, now there's talk of a barrier across the rifle line (no more shooting prone) and I'm sure magazine limits are next. So yeah, I have an attitude that my beloved range as been, for lack of a better term gentrified. Good riddance they can have it. We don't even have a safety light system at the other range in a member at.... Meanwhile no one gets hollered at for shooting clays..... At a gun range. My attitude here pales in comparison to how I and others have been treated by wanna be range officers on a power trip...

How The ****? Is shooting Prone a safety issue? It is the most accurate way to shoot as you are steadiest when you caný move around.

On a side note we had a guy try to get concealed carry banned from our GUN club. That argument didn't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom