A little rant HANSON ROD AND GUN...made my kid cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enlighten me please. You mean the ones right on the left when you drive in? Are you allowed to put them on the ground?

Is it mentioned on the signs?

Yes, those ranges, across from the clubhouse.

It is mentioned on the signs as an acceptable target. However, it also mentions that all targets must be at least knee height. Maybe you could throw together a cheap wooden frame to put them on?

I just have a buddy hold a water jug about knee high. It gives us piece of mind knowing we are following all rules minus the no one down range part but hey most of the rules are followed.

Yes, those ranges, across from the clubhouse.

It is mentioned on the signs as an acceptable target. However, it also mentions that all targets must be at least knee height. Maybe you could throw together a cheap wooden frame to put them on?

Water bottles are ok as far as I know. They just need to be at the base of the berm.

The reason for no pistols on the high power range is because of the alarming amounts of rounds that are hitting the ground and going up and over the backstop. They are not even close to leaving the property but there is a new training pit behind the hpr. I was in the first qualifying class for the new pits and rounds were wizzing overhead. One even hit one of the instructor's truck. We had to send someone down to reiterate paying attention to where your rounds are landing. Someone was shooting at ground targets. A no no for awhile. (Unless at the base of the berm)

In order to introduce the use of the new pits, rounds need to stay where they belong.

you dont even need to shoot at the ground....watch the bullets after they go through the paper target...often they nose dive just behind the target. Now when your shooting pistol on the 100 yard range at 7-30 yards the often will bounce off the ground at about a 40-45 degree angle and go over the berm.
THIS is also why they made the LEO training shoot out on the range near the berm. LEO used to shoot from the encloser and where sending countless rounds over the berm and when shooting trap you could hear them whistle through the air over the trees in the trap parking lot.
Also IIRC rifle range is now 50 yard minimum?

Last edited:
What if you want to shoot your pistol at 100y?

im almost certain if you set your target up at 100 yards and your hitting the target or back stop the RSO's will most likely let you shoot. like anything if there is enough people who want to shoot there pistols at 50 plus yards the club will make a rule change.

I've seen the same thing with a couple of idiots zeroing a new rifle at 25 yards on a rifle range: The round were impacting at 75 yards and spawling into the woods. I have also seen it with people shooting standing at targets only 3' off the ground at 25y. This has nothing to do with the firearm and everything to do with the shooter.

rifle rounds dont dive as abruptly as pistol rounds. if you have a zero target at 25 yards for rifle and it hits at 75 yards in front of the berm the angle is shallow and will bounch into the berm. for the most part a 25 yard target 3 feet off the ground with most rifle rounds will strike around 3 feet up on the berm.

there are now 4 pistol pits at hanson theres really no reason to shoot on the rifle range unless your shooting at 50-100 yards and the large 460,500 guns.
What members need to do is get involved and make sure those pits are available to members

I will be the first to tell you IM NOT HAPPY with a lot of the rules at most clubs BUT the only way to really change that is get involved and get on the board.... I just dont have the time to do that just yet. as my kids get a little older i will become more involved again.

Not being able to shoot a clays on the berm still pisses me off....

We are going threw this at my small local club. No pistols at the rifle range, well I like to switch it up not just fire one type. But now I have to pack up my rifles, walk down a hill unpack my pistols and set my targets up. Ok I get it, 3rd world problems, but it is a PIA.
My question I asked the board is why cant we have a pistol berm set up around 7-10 yards away. High enough to stop the bullet and makes a good back splash but low enough to let the rifles shoot over them. Will it stop 100% of the pistols, I want to say yes.
But on the small chance one or two sneak by at least 99.9% of them were stopped. And now you don't have to pack up all your rifles and walk back to the truck to place them and unpack your pistol bag and walk over to set back up again.

Plus ranges that have high berms that are falling down maybe they can get together with members who can weld or fabricate and buy the AR500 plates and build sections that go over atop of the berm. This way if the top of the berm is starting to ware down the steel will stop the travel over.

I just wish my little club who just recently got taken over by a new set of board members would reach out to its members ( like me ) who can weld and fabricate and ask for help.
But im the new guy in town ( new going on ten years ) and I don't know how it works, or so ive been told.

Jason.

Which has what to do with pistols?
the high power range is 100yards. shooting at targets too low or purposely firing at ground targets on a 100 yard range will cause ricochets. up an over the berm.

so it has everything to do with distance and setting the target up properly. regardless if it's a pistol or rifle.

the high power range is 100yards. shooting at targets too low or purposely firing at ground targets on a 100 yard range will cause ricochets. up an over the berm.

so it has everything to do with distance and setting the target up properly. regardless if it's a pistol or rifle.

Not all the time, depends on the range, whats beyond it, and how good the backstop is.

-Mike

you dont even need to shoot at the ground....watch the bullets after they go through the paper target...often they nose dive just behind the target. Now when your shooting pistol on the 100 yard range at 7-30 yards the often will bounce of the ground at about a 40-45 degree angle and go over the berm.
THIS is also why they made the LEO training shoot out on the range near the berm. LEO used to shoot from the encloser and where sending countless rounds over the berm and shooting trap you could hear them whistle through the air.
Also IIRC rifle range is now 50 yard minimum?
i agree except to say that we were actually seeing rifle rounds skipping up and over when set at 25yards. so it's going to be 25 yards for 22 and then 50 and 100 yards for anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all the time, depends on the range, whats beyond it, and how good the backstop is.

-Mike

at this particular range it most certainly does.

I grew up shooting bottles full of water, etc at Hanson, we always picked up our stuff. Flash forward 30 plus years and we are lucky to be able to shoot anything. I think part of the problem is housing gets built near these ranges and the dummies that buy them don't understand they are near a range or are ignorant until after the fact and another part is these ranges get a larger and larger member base and eventually dip Sh*ts get in that can't handle the concept of shooting and being responsible.

Been a member/shooter there since the early 80s.
I remember when there was not much more than a pile of tires covered in dirt.
Back then when I went with my dad there was not even trash cans. You brought it in you take it out. Heck we used to pick up the bullets of the range and my dad would smelt them on the tailgate of the pick up on the Colman stove and cast new bullets...fun times. Other things that changed.
If you forgot something at the range it would be there when you went back.

Last edited:
We are going threw this at my small local club. No pistols at the rifle range, well I like to switch it up not just fire one type. But now I have to pack up my rifles, walk down a hill unpack my pistols and set my targets up. Ok I get it, 3rd world problems, but it is a PIA.
My question I asked the board is why cant we have a pistol berm set up around 7-10 yards away. High enough to stop the bullet and makes a good back splash but low enough to let the rifles shoot over them. Will it stop 100% of the pistols, I want to say yes.
But on the small chance one or two sneak by at least 99.9% of them were stopped. And now you don't have to pack up all your rifles and walk back to the truck to place them and unpack your pistol bag and walk over to set back up again.

Plus ranges that have high berms that are falling down maybe they can get together with members who can weld or fabricate and buy the AR500 plates and build sections that go over atop of the berm. This way if the top of the berm is starting to ware down the steel will stop the travel over.

I just wish my little club who just recently got taken over by a new set of board members would reach out to its members ( like me ) who can weld and fabricate and ask for help.
But im the new guy in town ( new going on ten years ) and I don't know how it works, or so ive been told.

Jason.

You can't wait for club board members to do anything go to club meeting and have someone nominate you for chairperson of AR500 for club
Then have fun going through the approval process and getting the funding. THIS is the only way to get things done. It took almost 10 years for one of the club's I go to to hang the new trap lights which where just sitting in the storage shed.

Oh so I started this thread and I brought it up with my daughter.
She laughed and said "ppffftt Hanson maybe I will go back when I'm old"... She will not go back to Hanson after the clay banning.
Thank god I have 4 clubs with in 30 min of my house.

Well since where ranting a bit here's few more
Tired of LEO leaving there Crap out on the 50 yard line when training....shotshells every where last week... I picked up about 30 of them before more shooters showed up and I couldn't hold up the line
Also tired of them using club target stands when they have there own down in the storage container.
To lazy to go get them.
Not happy with those who get special treatment.

Now LEO training is supposed to end on the rifle range also. Heck the club built them a special range we can't use? I'm not holding my breath though.

Another thing that irks me is rain dates for training.
Really....train in the rain no?

Last edited:
Not being able to shoot pistols at the rifle range is stupid, some of us bring both to the range and should not have to load everything up and move.

Not being able to shoot pistols at the rifle range is stupid, some of us bring both to the range and should not have to load everything up and move.

I agree...although with the new range just beyond the berm the club just can't afford anything to happen.
I'm not happy with the new pits over all and would love to see the LEO training stop at the club.

I agree...although with the new range just beyond the berm the club just can't afford anything to happen.
I'm not happy with the new pits over all and would love to see the LEO training stop at the club.

I never rejoined for this reason, too bad it was a good club years ago.

i agree except to say that we were actually seeing rifle rounds skipping up and over when set at 25yards. so it's going to be 25 yards for 22 and then 50 and 100 yards for anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not seen any rifle rounds bounce off the ground and go high on the burm. I do agree though I have seen people try to zero there rifles and shoot very high on the berm.
Either way the club will do anything it seems fit in the name of safety
I pointed out over 12 years ago the pistol round where bouncing over the berm. 1st they raised the berm...then they moved the LEO training up to the 50 yard line. Yet they still make it over ?
Wait till they ban steel again because of the yahoos shooting at multiple targets at extreme angles.
Also check out the holes on the over head baffle
Either people are deliberately shooting it or there is some very poor muzzle control.
I think Hanson is fairly lax in rules compared to some other clubs.
What we don't want is to end up like scituate
Have you seen what there 50 yard range looks like now... I can't see shooting through that tunnel.

https://www.scituaterg.com/rifle-pistol

I never rejoined for this reason, too bad it was a good club years ago.

Seems once Dave bouldry left it got worse.
It's still a "good" club the core 10% of regular active members are great.
I know non members come in on Wed and sundays when trap is open and use the rifle and pistol ranges. RSO are more present now also.
What will really suck is if it's mandated that RSO MUST be present to shoot. Then we are screwed at hanson.

Last edited:

Yes and it sucks waiting for pistol shooters to get off a bench so a rifle shooter can use a bench.
It's all good and with anything there's always someone who is not happy.
My daughter was upset that they banned clay targets on the berm but she did get over it and came to her own decision to just not go there any more. Problem is the "club" could not care less. I'm sure there where enough no show paying members to cover her lack of going.

I would call Hanson a non shooter gun club.
Compared to other clubs in the area they generally are not busy or really active in much of events anymore which IMHO was by design to allow more weeks in for LEO training but that's another story.
You take a 10 min ride SE to another club and their turn out at breakfast is bigger than the total of shooters at Hanson all month.
Both clubs have about the same amount of members. One club had so much going on it makes your head spin. Hanson not so much.
I don't know for sure why but Hanson has always been slow to implement just about anything.
I'm still a member and will be as it's convenient for me most of the time and not to busy.

I believe it is also non-hunting. Shot 3D there and targets were behind the berm of the range. I was about to let an arrow fly when bullets were whizzing overhead and you needed earpro. Holy shit!
Everyone was pissed. The league rule book said "ALL RANGES CLOSED DURING 3D SHOOT". Their league rep was one of the shooters. Never going back.

I believe it is also non-hunting. Shot 3D there and targets were behind the berm of the range. I was about to let an arrow fly when bullets were whizzing overhead and you needed earpro. Holy shit!
Everyone was pissed. The league rule book said "ALL RANGES CLOSED DURING 3D SHOOT". Their league rep was one of the shooters. Never going back.

As far as I know there has never been any active club hunting on the property. I know hunters definitely end up on club property as it boarders the burage pound ma wildlife area.
I know they do not allow parking for hunting on the property.
I have only helped set up the 3D event in the past and back then the club ranges where closed for during the 3D shoot as they did Set up out beyond the rifle range and trap range.
I have not volunteered for the 3D set up since Paul Williams was president. I thought the 3D event had stopped

As a member of Hanson I find it frustrating that there is no comunication between the club and members. I usually shoot a the high power range and always find out about the rule changes from the other shooters. I work nights and can not attend meetings. There's a small group who have the ability and schedule to attend on a regular basis. Before any major rule change is voted on shouldn't all members be informed of upcoming changes and be allowed to speak up and vote. It's not like everyone doesn't have an email. The only time I hear from them is when they want my money. I do enjoy the club due to being conveniently located and its not usually busy, but how do you go from machine gun shoots with cars to not being able to plink

Lots of thing will fix HANSON, the biggest help would be nobody over 60 then all the problems will be fixed. The ones with 8or 10 posts in a row and 3 pages of bi#%^ing about it, just leave your the problem

- - - Updated - - -

All the guys complaining about no targets on the ground and not being able to shoot pistol on a rifle range......It is a serious concern of bullets going over from ricochet off the ground.

Years ago I was a member with a 50 yard range that had a dug out pit for a backstop.......Berm was about 30 feet high. There was no rule against shooting targets on the ground so I had put some lacrosse balls out at about 25 yards. Shot at them with a mosin. 3 or 4 rounds into to it a ****ing huge tree branch fell from above the berm! I stopped shooting and went to clear the branch and the ricochet had hit a tree about 10 feet above the berm and tore off that branch. I was ignorant of such problems at the time I did it........But stopped doing it right then and there! Never even considered before that where those were going just assumed up into the backstop.

Club I'm at now.....Rules state all rounds fired must impact the backstop. Period. We are allowed to shoot our own steel but they need to be free swinging and positioned on the small front berm so that projectiles hit the actual backstop behind it. We can even shoot at cans and such.....Just have to position them on the small front berm so the bullets hit the backstop......And clean up after.

There are ways to be safe and prevent rounds over the berm and have fun.

Last edited:
Lots of thing will fix HANSON, the biggest help would be nobody over 60 then all the problems will be fixed. The ones with 8or 10 posts in a row and 3 pages of bi#%^ing about it, just leave your the problem

That's funny if you listen to the 60 plus crowd it's all the kids and young fools with all their tactical stuff that's the problem.... or the shotgun guys or the pistol guys or the highpower guys..
Nothing really new on that front.

Last edited:
As a member of Hanson I find it frustrating that there is no comunication between the club and members. I usually shoot a the high power range and always find out about the rule changes from the other shooters. I work nights and can not attend meetings. There's a small group who have the ability and schedule to attend on a regular basis. Before any major rule change is voted on shouldn't all members be informed of upcoming changes and be allowed to speak up and vote. It's not like everyone doesn't have an email. The only time I hear from them is when they want my money. I do enjoy the club due to being conveniently located and its not usually busy, but how do you go from machine gun shoots with cars to not being able to plink

Part of the problem is many things are not voted on by the members.. they might mention things at meetings but that doesn't mean you can vote on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom