A friend of a friend got a call from BATF regarding his off-list purchase

Unless it is a gift.

The clause is exclusive of the gift issue. They are asking you if you are the intended buyer, or are you acting as an agent of someone else. Buying for a friend w/o their knowledge does not create an agency relationship, it is not a straw purchase. Now, if your intent is to circumvent the law and sell to a PP, that is against the law.

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party. ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANS- FEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer “NO” to question 11.a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer “YES” to question 11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), (n), or (x). Please note: EXCEPTION: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b.

Really? Nothing about prohibited person in there?
Yes, really. Try applying critical reading skills.

You may never knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person. You may also never legally answer "yes" on question 11.a if you are not the "actual transferee/buyer", no matter if the actual buyer is a prohibited person or not.

Yes, really. Try applying critical reading skills.

You may never knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person. You may also never legally answer "yes" on question 11.a if you are not the "actual transferee/buyer", no matter if the actual buyer is a prohibited person or not.

And in the circumstance where you, on your own purchase a firearm because you think your buddy may like it, and may buy it from you, you are the actual buyer/transferee.

Did you purchase gun X, on date Y, from shop Z, ...?
Another example of why not to answer the question is this:

Say you did purchase X at Z -- it is well used by you and you know you got it at Z.

The ATF could set a perjury trap for you by quoting the wrong date -- off by a day or two that was perhaps six months or months ago.

If you said yes, you lied to a Federal officer -- and then it's up to the US Attorney whether to prosecute you.

--jcr

Another example of why not to answer the question is this:

Say you did purchase X at Z -- it is well used by you and you know you got it at Z.

The ATF could set a perjury trap for you by quoting the wrong date -- off by a day or two that was perhaps six months or months ago.

If you said yes, you lied to a Federal officer -- and then it's up to the US Attorney whether to prosecute you.

--jcr

Why would you even answer?? There is already a paper trail if they REALLY want to know. Simply don't answer. Jesus this thread is getting ridiculous. While there is a lot of good information on how to deal with authority figures in this thread there is also a lot of nonsense.

I just spoke with someone who got a visit.

The conversation went like this ..............

Did you purchase gun X, on date Y, from shop Z, and is that gun still in your possession?

What are my legal obligations to answer? Can I say "I do not recollect" can I say "I choose not to talk to you"?

He answered yes.

No further questions were asked.

What are my legal obligations to answer? Can I just say "I chose not to talk with you"?

What are my legal obligations to answer? Can I just say "I chose not to talk with you"?

You have no legal obligation to answer. Personally, I would probably say "I'll be glad to answer all of your questions and I respect the importance of your investigation. But I'll have to have my attorney present. Give me your card and I'll have him call you."

Then my lawyer will ask them what's up and politely tell them to pound sand. This way it is the lawyer being a lawyer, not me being a jerk. And yes, I'll pay a few bucks for that.

Last edited:
You have no legal obligation to answer. Personally, I would probably say "I'll be glad to answer all of your questions and I respect the importance of your investigation. But I'll have to have my attorney present. Give me your card and I'll have him call you."

Then my lawyer will ask them what's up and politely tell them to pound sand. This way it is the lawyer being a lawyer, not me being a jerk. And yes, I'll pay a few bucks for that.

This - and those will be a couple well spent bucks. (not like you can spend them on ammo now-a-days.

My question: Why the hell is the BATFE getting involved in a case involving State level regulations?

My question: Why the hell is the BATFE getting involved in a case involving State level regulations?

Because this is the niche that BATFE has carved for itself. When the .gov has an asset it uses it. Now about those MRAPs that the .gov just sent to the states.....

Maybe it had nothing to do with the other case? It's worse than a bunch of gossiping high school girls on here sometimes...

Federal Laws require FFL's to abide by the state laws. So essentially and law that MA makes for a dealer the feds say "Me too".

Thank you for a logical and reasoned response to my question. But, "the list" is merely a regulation instituted by a government official rather than legislation voted on by the senate/reps and signed into law by the Governor. Or, is there some law on the books that says all MA businesses must abide by consumer safety regulations instituted by the AG? And therefore the FFL would be guilty of Federal firearm law for not obeying a non-firearm related State law?

Also legally only BATFE can look at the Bound Books and 4473s, at least that is what I've been told many times by many FFLs. So they dig the info and turn it over to the DA for local prosecution and the Feds and state are both happy.

Also legally only BATFE can look at the Bound Books and 4473s, at least that is what I've been told many times by many FFLs. So they dig the info and turn it over to the DA for local prosecution and the Feds and state are both happy.

BINGO!

Thank you for a logical and reasoned response to my question. But, "the list" is merely a regulation instituted by a government official rather than legislation voted on by the senate/reps and signed into law by the Governor. Or, is there some law on the books that says all MA businesses must abide by consumer safety regulations instituted by the AG? And therefore the FFL would be guilty of Federal firearm law for not obeying a non-firearm related State law?

This is the law M.G.L. c.140, § 131.

This is the CMR 501 CMR 7.00

Sorry you have this situation backwards. When you have time, read the entire thread and perhaps it will become clearer.

In short, the EOPS List is per MGL and violations by MA Dealers are Felonies!

The AG Regs (CMR) are regulations that have $$ penalties attached to them. The requirements are above and beyond the "List" and the AG will never "approve" any handgun, so MA Dealers are always at risk here.

In both cases, the burden falls only on the MA Dealer, not the buyer. It is not our responsibility to know what a dealer can transfer.

Mike is being charged with violating MGL, selling guns not on the EOPS List.

Back
Top Bottom