9mm 1911 Suggestions

Nico9283

NES Member
Starting to research/shop for my first 1911 and need some suggestions. I know I’ll catch some flack for not wanting to go with .45 but I’ve got too much 9mm stocked up and honestly my ocd doesn’t allow me to not have streamlined firearms that use the same caliber. I’m a 9mm guy, it is what it is.

I’m in MA so I know my ffl options are limited but I’m not against something used that was cared for. Budget is not more than $1650. What should I be looking at?

ALSO, I’m open to suggestions on firearms that are ripe for upgrading and tuning into better versions of themselves, I’m a tinkerer once I become comfortable with a new platform so I want to plan for future desires to upgrade, therefore don’t want anything that’s known for using a proprietary part or something along those lines

Fire away and be gentle lol
-Nico

I have a Ruger commander size and I really cannot find any fault with it, it just plain works and is pretty accurate for a stock pistol, I CCW it from time to time. My other 9mm 1911 is a S&W pro series, a little finicky with ammo but otherwise a great gun.

as 9mm will not be a true 1911 anyway -

as 9mm will not be a true 1911 anyway -
Out of budget and I’m in mass, so unless it’s on the roster, I can’t do an ffl transfer, private sales only. So unless you know someone in mass who has this for sale personally, this is irrelevant

I’m in mass, so unless it’s on the roster, I can’t do an ffl transfer, private sales only. So unless you know someone in mass who has this for sale personally, this is irrelevant
There are other ways to skin a cat my friend. I leave it to you to discover how.

There are other ways to skin a cat my friend. I leave it to you to discover how.
I’ve done a ton of frame transfers if that’s what you’re referring to. I just don’t see how I can get a reputable company to send one to an ffl if the ffl can’t legally sell it to me once they get it.. pm me if I’m missing something

For what purpose is it going to be used for. So many questions, so little time.....
Lol just range use, focused on using something that’s inherently accurate for practicing fundamentals. Also can double as something I let some of my newbie friends try out, have always had better luck letting new shooters use something heavy and full sized despite their instincts being to request something micro

Dan wesson PM 9 is in your budget. That would be the best option. There's also a Springfield range officer in the classifieds that is priced well and would be a great gun. (not mine)

If you are talking about the 9mm RO Elite...looks like it's gone.

The DWX would be great, but too bad we don't know when it will ever be released.
one shall not lose faith! i also keep an eye on it, may be for next year or late fall Q3 bonus - if it will work out by that time.
and, if not - then not.

MFS sent an ad with this eye candy, yesterday. a bit high price, but, a nice one.
1651175941095.png

Any of the above mentioned will work. From the Ruger to the DW. They'll all serve you very well. I have the Ruger in commander sized in 9mm and it's one of my favorite guns to let new people shoot.

I suggest hitting up the Mill on a Saturday morning-ish (~11-12 for max population) and start visiting the shops there and talk to all the wonderful folks. If you want a more pointed suggest, feel free to PM me.

one shall not lose faith! i also keep an eye on it, may be for next year or late fall Q3 bonus - if it will work out by that time.
and, if not - then not.

MFS sent an ad with this eye candy, yesterday. a bit high price, but, a nice one.
View attachment 609346

I was all set to sell all of my Shadow2's and was just waiting for the DWX... I'm glad I didn't sell them. LOL.

I was all set to sell all of my Shadow2's and was just waiting for the DWX... I'm glad I didn't sell them. LOL.
when you decide to sell - let me know. i will give you some lowball offer. :)
i just sold my blue non-cajunized spare and debating what to do next, but as i just got a new rifle it will need to wait, for a long enough time. it is difficult to switch from the shadow to something else and like it, once you got used to it. i made myself to shoot old g34 for several times, but it started choking on the steel red army i have a ton of, so, went back to shadow and it felt like i got back to a comfort of home sweet home from after a vacation. :)

Last edited:
Not my ad

Springfield has several 1911 models in 9mm. If you plan on tinkering, why not get an entry level piece and go from there. Any one of the SA guns will leave you with money for practice. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Look around for a Star 1911 style pistol,and if you want a smaller one for carry look for the Star BM. 279029950_5394396580573152_7225137402366971441_n (2).jpg

Last edited:
Starting to research/shop for my first 1911 and need some suggestions. I know I’ll catch some flack for not wanting to go with .45 but I’ve got too much 9mm stocked up and honestly my ocd doesn’t allow me to not have streamlined firearms that use the same caliber. I’m a 9mm guy, it is what it is.

I’m in MA so I know my ffl options are limited but I’m not against something used that was cared for. Budget is not more than $1650. What should I be looking at?

ALSO, I’m open to suggestions on firearms that are ripe for upgrading and tuning into better versions of themselves, I’m a tinkerer once I become comfortable with a new platform so I want to plan for future desires to upgrade, therefore don’t want anything that’s known for using a proprietary part or something along those lines

Fire away and be gentle lol
-Nico
Your options are not limited in MA. Find a store that isn't run by a douche, build a relationship, and everything will fall into place.

If you want to move into the collector realm, this one appears to still be available.

Back
Top Bottom