9mm 1911 Suggestions

True! I just got the vibe that if he was willing to spend up to $1650 that he wasn’t going to settle for a $500ish 1911. But that was my assumption 😂
I hear ya ........ But I will say that my RIA ultra tac 2 FS is a damn good shooter. I also know that the DW is a much better quality piece , but for range use the RIA is a good piece for the price.

Out of budget and I’m in mass, so unless it’s on the roster, I can’t do an ffl transfer, private sales only. So unless you know someone in mass who has this for sale personally, this is irrelevant
Member for 2 years.
24 transactions.

And you post this?

You don't deserve the gun. Enjoy the "MA Approved" junk. Don't forget to say a thank you to your lord Healey for allowing you to own at least one 9mm 1911.

Between my bride and I we have 5 1911's, one being a custom bullseye Caspian, S&W Scandia commander, another I built from the ground up based on a Norinco chassis, and the 2 RIAs.
The RIAs hold their own and I see no point in giving bucks to Ed Brown or Wilson, unless it's an ego thing. Don't sell the RIAs short.

Did anyone ask if 9mm is the goal, why would anyone get a 1911. 1911 in any other caliber but 45 ACP is a "poser gun". Sorta like when people would put a Ferrari body kit on a Pontiac Fiero and pretend they had a Ferrari.
If a classy steel frame is the goal, CZ 75 of Beretta 92FS are far better choices. Both look hella classic, yet they shoot like a modern gun.

Did anyone ask if 9mm is the goal, why would anyone get a 1911. 1911 in any other caliber but 45 ACP is a "poser gun". Sorta like when people would put a Ferrari body kit on a Pontiac Fiero and pretend they had a Ferrari.
If a classy steel frame is the goal, CZ 75 of Beretta 92FS are far better choices. Both look hella classic, yet they shoot like a modern gun.

Yeah I'd much rather have a Tisas or RIA in .45ACP than a Nighthawk/Wilson/Ed B/Les B/Greg Derr/BEC in 9mm.

Totally agree. Only poseurs do 1911 in 9mm.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-v1TTUyhM

LOL ok.
9mm 1911's are pure joy. They are much more fun to shoot (minimal recoil/fast as hell), you get a couple extra rounds per mag, and the ammo is half the price.
I guess all the old 1911 guys like Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn are "posers" because they all have switched to shooting 9mm because of years of abuse shooting .45.

Also just incase you missed it, the title of the thread is "9mm 1911 Suggestions". [laugh]

Between my bride and I we have 5 1911's, one being a custom bullseye Caspian, S&W Scandia commander, another I built from the ground up based on a Norinco chassis, and the 2 RIAs.
The RIAs hold their own and I see no point in giving bucks to Ed Brown or Wilson, unless it's an ego thing. Don't sell the RIAs short.

Attachments

• chuck2.JPG
    chuck2.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 9
I have a few 1911's but only one in 9mm. It's a S&W Pro Series that I bought almost a decade ago. It's run flawlessly since the first day. When S&W designed it they put a lot of thought into it like an oversize extractor, mag well, contoured slide for wight reduction in cycling, target sights (or not), precision crowned muzzle, full length guide rod, front strap checkering, ambi-release, many of the parts rolled out of the performance center shop, a couple Wilson mags, etc as standard features. You can read up on it and you should as everyone likes their own selections including myself and compare it to many of the others mentioned requiring upgrading plus it falls right into your price point. Here it is against a standard early .45 cal JRE model and some of the difference I mentioned will stand out.

Smith Autos.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-v1TTUyhM

LOL ok.
9mm 1911's are pure joy. They are much more fun to shoot (minimal recoil/fast as hell), you get a couple extra rounds per mag, and the ammo is half the price.
I guess all the old 1911 guys like Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn are "posers" because they all have switched to shooting 9mm because of years of abuse shooting .45.

Also just incase you missed it, the title of the thread is "9mm 1911 Suggestions". [laugh]

Lol. Leave it to NES to suggest something completely unrelated to the topic of the thread. And not make much sense 😂

LOL ok.

My suggestion is pretty clear: "don't get a 9mm 1911".

As to "extra rounds per mag": you sound like a 1911 45 guy. "Oh my, 10 rounds is, like, 3 more". Both CZ and Berettaone of the above-mentioned guns comes with at least 15 rounds, even in MA. Both guns have recoil better recoil management. CZ 75 I considered THE most reliable 9mm.

Onto Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn. Both are old and have arthritis. Heck, they admitted as such! They can't hold the gun stiff enough to be able to manage it effectively, thus 9mm. Switching to 9mm allowed them to keep the same holsters they're used to. That's about it. Back when Wilson was still competing, he switched to, drum roll, please...Beretta 92!

I don't have a problem with 9mm or 45 ACP. What I do not understand is why would someone, in 2022, get a 1911 unless they want to touch history. If you want to touch history, get the original 45ACP. If you want a 9mm and really want to touch history, get a Highpower. Otherwise, there's NO good reason to get 1911 in anything but 45ACP.

Unless you want one. Which is a good enough reason for me.
If you want one, get it. Heck, I bought a CZ 97 in 45ACP even though I own 1911! It wasn't because there was a good reason to. I was told, "why get another 45 if you have a great one?", "45ACP is dead, get a 9mm", "That gun can only accept 10round mags!", etc, etc, etc... I just wanted to get one and I got one!
Point is, if you're asking for suggestions, it tells me you are either not sure if you want one or are looking for confirmation and encouragement because in the back of your brain you're agreeing with me: the only caliber appropriate for a 1911 is 45ACP!
Either way, stop futzing around and take action one way or another!

Member for 2 years.
24 transactions.

And you post this?

You don't deserve the gun. Enjoy the "MA Approved" junk. Don't forget to say a thank you to your lord Healey for allowing you to own at least one 9mm 1911.
Thanks for the helpful info lol. I’d like to prove you wrong with my extensive list of built rifles but don’t feel like airing out my dirty laundry and letting the alphabet crews know what kind of toys I have. Congrats on winning the “least helpful comment” award

If you want one, get it. Heck, I bought a CZ 97 in 45ACP even though I own 1911! It wasn't because there was a good reason to. I was told, "why get another 45 if you have a great one?", "45ACP is dead, get a 9mm", "That gun can only accept 10round mags!", etc, etc, etc... I just wanted to get one and I got one!
Point is, if you're asking for suggestions, it tells me you are either not sure if you want one or are looking for confirmation and encouragement because in the back of your brain you're agreeing with me: the only caliber appropriate for a 1911 is 45ACP!
Either way, stop futzing around and take action one way or another!
I already commented way further up that I had settled on a Dan Wesson PM9. And as great as a CZ 75 or beretta 92 are, I’m 5’4 so I have a small hand. I’ve handled both of those firearms and can’t shoot them because of how long the trigger reach is.

1.) I want a 1911 for the incredible ergonomics, I’ve shot one and it fit my hand better than any other gun I’ve ever shot, not in it for the history.

2.) as stated in my original post, I have a ton of 9mm stockpiled and don’t feel like, nor have space, to start stockpiling another caliber. 9mm is easier on the wrists (I have juvenile onset arthritis) and is far cheaper. Those are the reasons I want it in 9mm, even though I don’t need to justify my choice lol.

If you want me to have a .45, pony up the dough and buy me one, otherwise leave the useless advice at home.

Some of you have been really helpful, others have been downright ignorant

As to "extra rounds per mag": you sound like a 1911 45 guy. "Oh my, 10 rounds is, like, 3 more". Both CZ and Berettaone of the above-mentioned guns comes with at least 15 rounds, even in MA. Both guns have recoil better recoil management. CZ 75 I considered THE most reliable 9mm.

Onto Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn. Both are old and have arthritis. Heck, they admitted as such! They can't hold the gun stiff enough to be able to manage it effectively, thus 9mm. Switching to 9mm allowed them to keep the same holsters they're used to. That's about it. Back when Wilson was still competing, he switched to, drum roll, please...Beretta 92!

I don't have a problem with 9mm or 45 ACP. What I do not understand is why would someone, in 2022, get a 1911 unless they want to touch history. If you want to touch history, get the original 45ACP. If you want a 9mm and really want to touch history, get a Highpower. Otherwise, there's NO good reason to get 1911 in anything but 45ACP.

Lol cool story.
Once again the title of the thread is "9mm 1911 Suggestions", so who cares about your non-1911 9mm suggestions?
But just keep stirring the shit if you are enjoying yourself. [laugh]

Out of budget and I’m in mass, so unless it’s on the roster, I can’t do an ffl transfer, private sales only. So unless you know someone in mass who has this for sale personally, this is irrelevant
Nobody gives a shit about the roster lol

Thanks for the helpful info lol. I’d like to prove you wrong with my extensive list of built rifles but don’t feel like airing out my dirty laundry and letting the alphabet crews know what kind of toys I have. Congrats on winning the “least helpful comment” award
Well, rifles and handguns are different.

...if you're asking for suggestions, it tells me you are either not sure if you want one or are looking for confirmation and encouragement because in the back of your brain you're agreeing with me: the only caliber appropriate for a 1911 is 45ACP!

Really?

Those are the ONLY two reasons you can think of why someone might want a suggestion? And here I was, just thinking he might have wanted real-world feedback from people who had experience with 9mm 1911s. My mistake.

And before you get all snarky in reply, yes, I would never get a 1911 in 9mm. But I'm not the OP, nor am I chiming in just to troll him. Unlike some. If I was, I'd tell him to get a BHP instead, but in the meantime, a Star Model B (as I suggested before) is probably a good bet, and reasonably priced.

Your advice is noted.

And so ignored.

Cant say enough about my SA Range Officer 9mm . Excellent fit, finish adjustable sights and what a dream to shoot. Think I paid $760 back in 2016 . You get a lot of match quality 1911 for not a lot of money. Flawless cycling with a wide variety of bullet weights, so a good platform for the handloader.

Back
Top Bottom