42 or 43 ?

recoil in both guns is nonexistent. the G42 and G43 are fantastic. if it's pocket then definitely G42. honestly i would get both.

the 2 finest 380's i've owned are the kahr CW380 and G42. i used to talk smack about the G42 until i picked one up on a whim. the gun has really earned my respect as the only pocket 380 that i can hit a target at 25 yards. even with the kahr 380 i cannot do that reliably.

Guess a lot of NESers are wearing skinny jeans or yoga pants. Just kidding guys but geez- 43 seems small enough for pocket carry. 43 in a wallet-like pocket holster works fine. Look at it this way- if you get the 43 and don't like it you can sell it quickly. Market for reselling the 42 would be more limited.

A .380 may, MAY be ok in summer when everyone is walking around in t-shirts and shorts. But in the middle of winter when everyone is wearing heavy insulated carhart canvas jackets and coveralls you may as well throw a stone at them then shoot them with a .380.
So you can buy 2 guns, one for summer, one for winter. Or you can get one gun that will work on either.
Again, My opinion.

A .380 may, MAY be ok in summer when everyone is walking around in t-shirts and shorts. But in the middle of winter when everyone is wearing heavy insulated carhart canvas jackets and coveralls you may as well throw a stone at them then shoot them with a .380.
So you can buy 2 guns, one for summer, one for winter. Or you can get one gun that will work on either.
Again, My opinion.

You think a .380 wouldn't got thru a ****ing northface jacket and a sweatshirt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a BUG, the 43 uses the same ammo as my primary (which is nice for keeping reloading practice ammo simple), but unfortunately they don't use the same magazine (and I find the G26 too big and heavy for pocket/ankle carry).
If .380 is a new caliber for you, it might be a worthy consideration to not add the additional caliber to your arsenal. [smile]

As a BUG, the 43 uses the same ammo as my primary (which is nice for keeping reloading practice ammo simple), but unfortunately they don't use the same magazine (and I find the G26 too big and heavy for pocket/ankle carry).
If .380 is a new caliber for you, it might be a worthy consideration to not add the additional caliber to your arsenal. [smile]

.380 would be a new caliber, which is one of the reasons why I kinda want it. Adding something new isnt a bad thing, more options of what I can fire can be good .. right?

Again, My opinion.

Wut? My .177 pellet gun goes through plywood. Anyone getting hit with a pellet gun would be running away. Much less a .380. Triple fat goose or not.

.380 would be a new caliber, which is one of the reasons why I kinda want it. Adding something new isnt a bad thing, more options of what I can fire can be good .. right?

Yes. Absolutely.
What works for me (and the reasoning behind it) might not work for you.
I just offered up my opinion as food for thought.
Thanks for being open minded enough to listen.

What Mike said. Not really pocket guns. 9>380 by a mile. Get both, then get a real pocket 380. And a slightly-bigger 9mm. Just buy more more more! LOL

For the size, I'd get the 43. You can tuck-holster it pretty simply. Or outside jacket pocket in the winter. That's about it.

I have a 42, which I went with partly so my wife would enjoy shooting it. But she refuses to go to the range anyway, so I'm considering switching to a 43.

I was wondering if it would be a bad idea have both since they look so similar and I wouldn't want to confuse .380 and 9mm. But I guess 9mm won't load in the 42 and .380 would just fire in the 43 but cause an FTE?

Anyway, the 42 is really fun to shoot, so I practice with it more.

def try the 43...i was looking for a summer carry and was looking at a pm9, 43, shield, lc9s and a pps m2...pm9 the slide was too hard for my wife to rack easily...i wanted to like the 43 but it was a little snappy and took longer to be accurate with...shield was a little large for what i wanted and i didn't like the grip...never got to shoot the lc9s...ended up with the pps m2 and happy with that decision so far...i find the recoil less cause it's heavier...have to shoot break it in to decide it i want to change anything...probably get the magguts +1 for the 6 round mag as well as some 8 round mags

I think I'll be doing the 42, I've owned a couple 43s (sold them both)
And even tho I liked the size of the 43, the smaller the better. Plus I don't have anything that fires .380 right now, so that would be a good addition to the collection.
I read a few articles about ballistics and 9 vs 380 and I'm impressed with the .380s performance some went as far as say the .380 was a better round sure they were accounting for recoil and being able to have the firearm's sights not bounce off the target and other factors beyond "stopping power".

A .380 may, MAY be ok in summer when everyone is walking around in t-shirts and shorts. But in the middle of winter when everyone is wearing heavy insulated carhart canvas jackets and coveralls you may as well throw a stone at them then shoot them with a .380

....and there you have it folks....

ballistic carhart pants...you're sitting on a gold mine trebeck!!!...i better get me a pair of those cause i rip the sh!t out of them...some of their stuff is junk

You think a .380 wouldn't got thru a ****ing northface jacket and a sweatshirt ?

I aint saying that at all. What I'm saying is that most of the .380 energy will be used to penetrate heavy clothing. Look! a 380 is a puny round and the whole idea is not only to defend yourself against someone else who has a gun or a knife. A .380 wont stop the other shooter from getting off shots at you. Lets say you hit him in the right shoulder when he's wearing a heavy jacket. How good will your 380 be to you at that point?

I aint saying that at all. What I'm saying is that most of the .380 energy will be used to penetrate heavy clothing. Look! a 380 is a puny round and the whole idea is not only to defend yourself against someone else who has a gun or a knife. A .380 wont stop the other shooter from getting off shots at you. Lets say you hit him in the right shoulder when he's wearing a heavy jacket. How good will your 380 be to you at that point?

Wait .. You think it would tear his arm off the socket if you hit him with a 9 ?

I've never been in a gun fight but I imagine they're like golf, where you take one shot and take a step back to admire the results.

They are both fine. But my vote is always for 43.
With 9mm get ammo that is cheaper, more common, and has better ballistics.
The size difference is not a big deal. The 43 is wicked pocketable.

I have both.

Got the G42 first as the G43 was not available yet. No regrets on having both. Sometimes the slightly smaller G42 fits my attire better. But if I could only have one, I'd go with the G43.

That said I also have a G26, so having all three might make me lean towards the G42 as the G26 has it's value also.

I've never been in a gun fight but I imagine they're like golf, where you take one shot and take a step back to admire the results.

Or like this? I once read that at a point in our nation's history, the Navy was running out of junior officers due to so many being killed or wounded in dueling...

In an 1802 duel, DeWitt Clinton was challenged by John Swartwout, a friend of Aaron Burr. Swartwout accused Clinton of trying to ruin Burr with political smears. The men exchanged five rounds. After each round, as the code provided, seconds encouraged the combatants to mend their differences.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/duel/sfeature/dueling.html

Not sure if serious? The 42 is one of the softest shooting .380s I've ever fired. The only time the recoil gets "stiff" is when I'm shooting underwood +P out of it, and that stuff is pretty hot, and even then, it's still not that much recoil.

Couple of pointers: (as someone that owns both of these)

-Neither one of these is really a pocket gun. If you're looking for a pocket gun you're in the wrong brand... you should be looking at Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LCP instead, both of these are actually pocket guns. The glocks OAL is too long for a pocket gun. )

-Even mid grade 9mm is a lot more powerful than .380 is, and I carry underwood 380, but it still doesn't make the numbers 9mm (anything)
does. Not even close. There are a SHIT TON more 9mm defense rounds that work well vs .380, where most JHPs are marginal.

I don't even carry my 42 that much anymore except when the 43 is dirty.

-Mike

Agreed even though I love the way the 42 shoots and hate the 43. But I've seen a 380 not even punch through someone's hand at point blank. Definitely was not impressed with the 380 after that. That being said his hand is still fubar just woulda thought the round would punch through

Back
Top Bottom