42 or 43 ?

I want a new pocket gun, I know the size difference between the 2 is very tiny but when it comes to pocket carry, every millimeter counts.
I've been "researching" ballistic on both rounds.
Glock 42 is .380
Glock 43 is 9mm
I've found little difference between the 2, specially with a +P .380.
I understand the .380 round does have a few negatives, including round cost.

What y'all think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the 42,but then I played with the Ruger LC9.I found that I like it better than the glock.

A friend of mine got the 42, it's a nice little shooter. Out of that short a barrel I really wonder how much more punch you get out of the 9mm, plus the recoil of the .380 is already surprisingly stiff out of such a tiny gun... with 9mm the muzzle flash at night and the harder recoil would probably make a quick follow up shot harder.

I'd go with the 42.

A friend of mine got the 42, it's a nice little shooter. Out of that short a barrel I really wonder how much more punch you get out of the 9mm, plus the recoil of the .380 is already surprisingly stiff out of such a tiny gun...

Not sure if serious? The 42 is one of the softest shooting .380s I've ever fired. The only time the recoil gets "stiff" is when I'm shooting underwood +P out of it, and that stuff is pretty hot, and even then, it's still not that much recoil.

I want a new pocket gun, I know the size difference between the 2 is very tiny but when it comes to pocket carry, every millimeter counts.
I've been "researching" ballistic on both rounds.
Glock 42 is .380
Glock 43 is 9mm
I've found little difference between the 2, specially with a +P .380.
I understand the .380 round does have a few negatives, including round cost.

What y'all think ?

Couple of pointers: (as someone that owns both of these)

-Neither one of these is really a pocket gun. If you're looking for a pocket gun you're in the wrong brand... you should be looking at Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LCP instead, both of these are actually pocket guns. The glocks OAL is too long for a pocket gun. )

-Even mid grade 9mm is a lot more powerful than .380 is, and I carry underwood 380, but it still doesn't make the numbers 9mm (anything)
does. Not even close. There are a SHIT TON more 9mm defense rounds that work well vs .380, where most JHPs are marginal.

I don't even carry my 42 that much anymore except when the 43 is dirty.

-Mike

42 fits my hand better than 43, but 42 isn't smaller enough for me to opt for .380. Neither are small enough for pocket carry. I've got an LCP for that.

Both are great, concealable guns, but neither is a pocket gun. The 42 shoots really softly. The 43 is a bit snappier. I'd go with a 43. Unfortunately, in this retard state, the only truly viable and readily available pocket gun is the bodyguard. You can get pocket .32's and .25's but at that point your probably better off with a good knife and pepper spray in terms of effectiveness in a defensive situation.

Not sure if serious? The 42 is one of the softest shooting .380s I've ever fired. The only time the recoil gets "stiff" is when I'm shooting underwood +P out of it, and that stuff is pretty hot, and even then, it's still not that much recoil.

Couple of pointers: (as someone that owns both of these)

-Neither one of these is really a pocket gun. If you're looking for a pocket gun you're in the wrong brand... you should be looking at Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LCP instead, both of these are actually pocket guns. The glocks OAL is too long for a pocket gun. )

-Even mid grade 9mm is a lot more powerful than .380 is, and I carry underwood 380, but it still doesn't make the numbers 9mm (anything)
does. Not even close. There are a SHIT TON more 9mm defense rounds that work well vs .380, where most JHPs are marginal.

I don't even carry my 42 that much anymore except when the 43 is dirty.

-Mike

The only thing I would change is recommend the LCP II over the LCP. The trigger has improved significantly.

Go 42, like many have said, its amazingly soft shooting. I have shot the 43 side by side and trying renting both at mfs for yourself. Most people will be quicker shot on the 42. Getting shots on target quickly and accurately is my number one .

I have a 42, which I went with partly so my wife would enjoy shooting it. But she refuses to go to the range anyway, so I'm considering switching to a 43.

I was wondering if it would be a bad idea have both since they look so similar and I wouldn't want to confuse .380 and 9mm. But I guess 9mm won't load in the 42 and .380 would just fire in the 43 but cause an FTE?

Anyway, the 42 is really fun to shoot, so I practice with it more.

Pocket carry? Neither. A cw380 or LCP is as big as I would want to pocket.

If you must have a 9mm I would rather pocket a pm9 over the 43 because the slide is shorter.

42 and 43 are both fantastic guns, just not my choice for the pocket.

I'm 6'4 250-260 I know I would have a problem pocketing either one, the smaller the better tho.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

43, 9mm is easier to find and much cheaper in price.
Has more defensive ammo choices in stock at most shops.
9mm is a higher velocity round to ensure proper HP expansion.
And if you ever ran out of ammo a 9mm would be more common to find in a shtf situation!

Forget the 380. All that will do is piss the bad guy off even more. 9 is the smallest round I would carry and even thats iffy when it comes to stopping the bad guy from shooting back.

Handguns punch holes and I can punch more holes faster and on target with a 380 than with a 9mm. Not to mention it is smaller, lighter and I am far less likely to leave it in the safe. Just my 2 cents.

[pot]

I pocket a 43 very often.
This...I pocket my 43 literally every minute of every day. There are definitely smaller/easier pocket carry guns, but since I'm a Glock guy it's the 43...Wife has a Ruger LC9s and that actually pockets easier, but others here can definitely tell you about other guns that are even better in the pocket... But I love my 43. Surprisingly accurate, too, even from distance.

43 all day long.

Reasons....9mm many more and better load types around. Rounds are cheaper and more available, recoil in not bad on the 43 at all, and resale will be better on the 43 if you ever have to sell.

/thread

Buy both. Carry both. Sell one you don't like. Glocks in MA only quickly appreciate. You'll make your money back.
Yup. In MA hold onto your Glock long enough and you'll get better % return than from the stock market...Hell, when I sold off the two G22's I had (got away from .40 cal), I ended up telling myself "Damn, why the hell didn't I take out a 2nd mortgage years ago and buy a hundred of the damned things"... Carl's guys at Four Seasons called and said "Come pick up your check" and when I saw the amount, even after the consignment fee, I jingled all the way to the bank.

Personally I hate the way my little finger hangs off the bottom of the glock 43 tiny grip.
In my opinion, I would definitely go with a nine, nothing smaller, and my choice would be the sphinx subcompact.

I know its expensive but just divide the price by how many years you will own and enjoy it.
Also, when your going with a small gun like a sub compact, I would look at a hammer fired double action handgun. (since it will be in your pocket)
This is my personal opinion. If you go on YT you will see plenty of people getting shot with a .380 and only flinching. One guy even gets in his car and drives to the hospital and survives after being shot with .380
More than a couple of nurse friends have told me that most people die from being shot with a 9mm.
My advice. Go with a nine. Go with a double action hammer. Go with a gun that has a metal slide and fully cut slide rail. That leaves you with CZ and Sphinx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom