• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP New England Games- Who's Going to Vermont?

Here now

Several rack grades SA and IHC

A few winchester field and svc grades. There is a really nice winny with a 11-41bbl gauging 1 at both ends with a gi stock. It also has a -6 uncut op rod and a te rebuild etch on the receiver leg.

Several field grades, many with hackberry stocks

A few drill rifles

Surplus HXP for sale

They will bring out more rifles as these get sold

Not a great selection, beside the winny reference above nothing else stands out.

What ws the price on the Winny?

Was the dragon in the valley roaring?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKbZj_BW_bA

Appears this video was shot at CEATS.

The short burst is a 50 round test fire

The long burst is a 250 qualification.

If you can count the rounds it is probably a unit firing a 50 cal on the back range.

GAU Family of guns has rate of fire in excess of 30 rounds per second.

Last edited:
Something was out there in the distance earlier today.. brap brap brap brap brap brap brap

Dw617 nice score on the Vintage and nice to see several of you in near the top.
It just goes to show anything can happen and off hand seemed to dictate just about every score...
Its tough. You can shoot clean in prone and prone rapid but if you have just a bad shot or 2 and drop out of the 90s in off hand your out of the running.
Maybe next year i will make up.

Dw617 nice score on the Vintage and nice to see several of you in near the top.
It just goes to show anything can happen and off hand seemed to dictate just about every score...
Its tough. You can shoot clean in prone and prone rapid but if you have just a bad shot or 2 and drop out of the 90s in off hand your out of the running.
Maybe next year i will make up.

It's a great time. Nice area, and the weather is usually pretty good. I was quite comfy in a tent even with some heavy storms at night, so zero dollars spent on lodging though the main reason for the tent was to sleep in a quiet space and not ruin the quiet for others, LOL.

DW took top honors in Vintage and generally shot quite well. Franco as usual took top Grand Senior in just about every match he shot and was very close or at top score for multiple matches. Mass was very well represented and I think all grabbed at least a medal- Dave, Rich, Alan, and I think Chip too. Brian W from western Mass was of course #1 in a few matches. I grabbed a silver in Garand and Vintage, and a Bronze in Springfield. Offhand of course was the reason I didn't do better. I think I'll shoot offhand this winter until I'm huevos deep in brass.

At the end of the award ceremony they have good door prizes to encourage everyone to stay to the end. I need to post a pic of what I won- it's pretty nice.

Everything was run extremely well except sometimes squadding. There were a few folks jumping in on relays they were not scheduled for, which screwed over people who did sign up in advance for that relay.

Yeah, you need to get up there. Technically you could shoot 4 matches in one day as the electronic targets speed things up quite well.

Forgot to mention Laura was there. I'm going to assume she shot Modern Military with the AR, maybe another class as well? I think everyone had a good time.

One other glitch was that a couple of us had our M1A's bumped into 'Unlimited Modern Military' because we had NM front sights. First of all, this was the first I had heard of Unlimited MM, and secondly- REALLY??? We had to compete with 18 lb scoped match AR's over a front sight that was slightly narrower than stock. Another senseless CMP rule. As my eyes age, thicker is better so there was no advantage with this sight. Also, a scope would be OK. Seriously...

Forgot to mention Laura was there. I'm going to assume she shot Modern Military with the AR, maybe another class as well? I think everyone had a good time.

One other glitch was that a couple of us had our M1A's bumped into 'Unlimited Modern Military' because we had NM front sights. First of all, this was the first I had heard of Unlimited MM, and secondly- REALLY??? We had to compete with 18 lb scoped match AR's over a front sight that was slightly narrower than stock. Another senseless CMP rule. As my eyes age, thicker is better so there was no advantage with this sight. Also, a scope would be OK. Seriously...
CMP rules all dictated by the inspectors that day.
They had UMM at perry , noticed it on the results this year.
The rules dont always make sense only thing we can do is write letters and emails trying to get things changed.
Heck i dont even think they printed up the 2018 rules because they are such a mess.
Wait till they catch up with those fancy medium weight barrels in all these M1a

CMP rules all dictated by the inspectors that day.
They had UMM at perry , noticed it on the results this year.
The rules dont always make sense only thing we can do is write letters and emails trying to get things changed.
Heck i dont even think they printed up the 2018 rules because they are such a mess.
Wait till they catch up with those fancy medium weight barrels in all these M1a

They spotted the med wt barrel but I don't think the rules are clear on that yet because it was mentioned but the reason my rifle was bumped was the sight. If I had changed the sight I would have been GTG. I probably should have just shot my across the course gun but the M14 is fun so that's what I shot.

They spotted the med wt barrel but I don't think the rules are clear on that yet because it was mentioned but the reason my rifle was bumped was the sight. If I had changed the sight I would have been GTG. I probably should have just shot my across the course gun but the M14 is fun so that's what I shot.
yeah they need to make it clear. Under weight is gtg is fine I think. I don't see the issue. The entire "national match" sights being a no go but scopes are ok is just stupid. Its not like your putting front and rear adjustable iris on! Although that would be nice. If I can recover from the past few dental and medical bills enough by Xmass im getting a set of the aperture sights for the K31.

Even if one did have aperture sights, it’s completely ludicrous that a scope is legal and they are not.

Speaking of monkey business, Mac's post in another thread reminded me of something I forgot to post. I might have had a decent score in the EIC across the course match but completely screwed up in sitting rapid with a horrible score of 56.

Franco was right- those Midway mats do get slippery! The ground on the position I drew was pretty uneven, so I picked a spot that I figured I could make worse. There was a little hollow to sit in, which I thought would be good but it helped me slip when I moved to reload. Fell completely out of position, fumbled the reload, and had couple wild shots barely on target and one saved round. Sometimes a pizzashit really is a pizzashit, at least for across the course shooting. It's a great mat for slow prone or precision rifle- just not great for rapids.

So maybe I do qualify for the CMP rules board...
e392b458349e4b759ad18c8ce8f3a5e2.jpg

Speaking of monkey business, Mac's post in another thread reminded me of something I forgot to post. I might have had a decent score in the EIC across the course match but completely screwed up in sitting rapid with a horrible score of 56.

Franco was right- those Midway mats do get slippery! The ground on the position I drew was pretty uneven, so I picked a spot that I figured I could make worse. There was a little hollow to sit in, which I thought would be good but it helped me slip when I moved to reload. Fell completely out of position, fumbled the reload, and had couple wild shots barely on target and one saved round. Sometimes a pizzashit really is a pizzashit, at least for across the course shooting. It's a great mat for slow prone or precision rifle- just not great for rapids.

So maybe I do qualify for the CMP rules board...
e392b458349e4b759ad18c8ce8f3a5e2.jpg
i gave away both my midway mats. Not only slipery they get hot to. i bought the less expensive one first. Then thought the more expensive one was better. Only thing i noticed you needed tent stake or extra mags filled with ammo to keep those stupid flaps from flapping arounaround yeah you could tuck them under but heck you pay extra for those things!

I finally decided to get a mat, was on appleseeds website ordering aqt targets and noticed they had mats so I ordered one, hope it's not junk. $30

I finally decided to get a mat, was on appleseeds website ordering aqt targets and noticed they had mats so I ordered one, hope it's not junk. $30

You really don't need anything too fancy. I bought the Midway mat on sale and it looked nice. I only have a problem with it in rapid fire because the vinyl like cover has become a little slippery over time. The ones most people use for CMP and High Power matches are actually a fairly simple boat canvas or something similar with rough rubber grip areas and some padding inside the mat.

So I have a Fedex notice that I have a small package on the way from Camp Perry CMP Competitions department. No clue what it is- I didn't think they owe me anything. Curious what it is...

You really don't need anything too fancy. I bought the Midway mat on sale and it looked nice. I only have a problem with it in rapid fire because the vinyl like cover has become a little slippery over time. The ones most people use for CMP and High Power matches are actually a fairly simple boat canvas or something similar with rough rubber grip areas and some padding inside the mat.

So I have a Fedex notice that I have a small package on the way from Camp Perry CMP Competitions department. No clue what it is- I didn't think they owe me anything. Curious what it is...
I have the basic grey blue Mat with ambi rubber pads. There’s some sort of water proof membrane in the middle . Only down side is the color makes it look awful once you get some blood and mud on it.
Champion's Choice

@Mountain I got a Fedex from CMP today - it was my gold Vintage and silver 1903 medal.

Awesome!

I already received silvers in JCG and Vintage and bronze in Springfield. I have no idea what I was missing. Guess I’ll find out.

edit- Appears to be a stunt double for my Vintage silver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom