CMP New England Games- Who's Going to Vermont?

The CMP just approved and distributed the Leg points for the EIC match in Vermont. I was wondering when they would get around to this.

Turns out the guy who took the 8 point leg had, as I suspected, gone Distinguished earlier this year. As such, his score no longer counted against non-distinguished shooters.

Long story short I was bumped up one to 2nd place and issued the 8 point leg. My first 8 and "hard leg" out of the way. [smile]

Nice....my first born came the year I was going to start shooting matches with leg points....3 kids later and no leg points.

The CMP just approved and distributed the Leg points for the EIC match in Vermont. I was wondering when they would get around to this.

Turns out the guy who took the 8 point leg had, as I suspected, gone Distinguished earlier this year. As such, his score no longer counted against non-distinguished shooters.

Long story short I was bumped up one to 2nd place and issued the 8 point leg. My first 8 and "hard leg" out of the way. [smile]

Congrats!!!

And now I can safely enroll in SAFS and try again for the intro 4 points without having to worry about DW being in the mix, LOL.

Nice shooting!

[cheers]

I used to do a lot of 3D archery 25 years ago. I'm content to plink now, but I would like to get an Appleseed marksman badge someday.

T

I was reviewing the schedule page for 2018. Looks like they have also identified the 2019 dates as well.

18-24 SEPTEMBER 2018
17-23 SEPTEMBER 2019

DW, I assume you will compete in the EIC on Thursday. Debating whether I will or not. If I don't, for sure I may take SAFS on Friday and also shoot something in the afternoon Garand/MM/VM relay. Planning to shoot 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday- AM slots, no reason to wait for the wind to kick up.

I'd like to shoot as issued 1911, but it conflicts with SAFS. Unless there are afternoon relays.

Despite solving my ammo / brass shortage for .223, I'm thinking about shooting the EIC with the Bula. I have a hard time shooting the scoped AR's in offhand. The last two times I shot the Bula I scored some of my best offhand stages ever, a 90 and a 92. It's a gamble how well I can shoot the Bula at 600, but hard to ignore the better offhand scores.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Are you shooting 168s? Curious to see how they do at 600 in the M14.

You back in the states? I go to Russia on Saturday.

I've shot the 168's and they were ok in the M14. Lately I've been shooting 155's. Private label Nosler CC's, but for 600 I'd load up some SMK Palma 155's or same thing in the TMK. Wish I had bought more TMK when on sale- they are very accurate in the Bula (like 1" group accurate) but the regular price for TMK's is pretty stupid. I've been going a little light at 41.0 grains Varget but am going to try a little under 43 for better case fill and perhaps more consistent velocity.

The 167 Lapua scenars were really good in my 'new' Krieger barrel M1. I thought 1:12 would favor 155's but the 167's so far were much better.

I gotta figure out how to shoot a scope in offhand or just go back to irons.

Im going to gander the 167s are just a better bullet.
i think barrel twist is a wash at the velocities for M1 and M1a
i went with a 1/10 only because all my other 30 rifles are 1/10.
The 167s might have a bit more bearing surface also.
My friend inherited his dads M1a he used XTC through the 80s and 90s i got to pick through his notes. Lots of info with issued ammo , he noted in one of his log books that the switch from the LC match with 173s to the 168s was only had some slight changes on his settings. Also noted in his book is the steep increase from $9 for the nationals to $38
His reloads where stout and with a 175/180 grain bullet iirc was right around 43 grains. iI need to get a hold of my friends uncle he has all the stuff. I should take pictures if i get a chance.

Ok, who’s going???

There’s still time to sign up, and there are available bunks in the barracks. Beautiful location.

They had no single rooms and I sometimes snore like a futhermucker, so I’ll be tent camping up the hill above the barracks. Shooting the EIC across the course, SAFS M16 Match, and at least 4 GSMM, maybe 5 if I can squeeze in the Unlimited Garand.

Good to know. I might get a room one night depending on the forecast but won’t be the first time I have camped in rain. Don’t care if my service rifle is in the rain either.

I don't mind shooting in the rain. But with the electronic targets (and tablets at the firing line), I wonder how the CMP will handle rain.....

I don't mind shooting in the rain. But with the electronic targets (and tablets at the firing line), I wonder how the CMP will handle rain.....
I dont remeber where i read it, cmp news maybe? Army and marines tested the cmp park targets and even in the rain they worked. Although cmp park has a covered line.?
So depending on equipment exposure and visibility will be the factors if your getting wet or not.

I organized a range clean up day at my local club ([thumbsup] great turnout) and afterward tried my AR15 MM upper to compare against the Bula M14. I had already planned to use the he-man rifle rather than the poo-say gun but was worth one more comparison...

zz1XdIPl.jpg

After sighting in on another target, via prone 100 yds I easily popped the two x-ring hits. Pretty typical for this upper. The hits in the 8-ring, upper left, are awful hand. Seriously- WTH is going on? This upper has never drifted that much between sling and non-sling shooting. Usually I equally spray all 4 corners of the target when shooting offhand. Shot at ~8:30 outside the 10-ring was from aiming at 4:00 on the outer 9-ring. Guess I must have been slinging it up much tighter than in the past and when shooting offhand without the sling the shots are hitting high. Reason they are to the left is because I cock the rifle a little to the left in order to get a more stable hold.

Despite the potential x-ring jackpot with the AR15, I'll probably just shoot the Bula M14 in MM unless the visibility and/or my eyes suck, then I'll probably shoot better with the 4X scoped AR15 upper. I use the same lower for my Compass Lake service rifle upper.

Last edited:
Nice. I shot today at our local clinic/match with my service rifle. Hoping to get another practice round in before I leave - Tuesday mid-day.

I organized a range clean up day at my local club ([thumbsup] great turnout) and afterward tried my AR15 MM upper to compare against the Bula M14. I had already planned to use the he-man rifle rather than the poo-say gun but was worth one more comparison...

zz1XdIPl.jpg

After sighting in on another target, via prone 100 yds I easily popped the two x-ring hits. Pretty typical for this upper. The hits in the 8-ring, upper left, are awful hand. Seriously- WTH is going on? This upper has never drifted that much between sling and non-sling shooting. Usually I equally spray all 4 corners of the target when shooting offhand. Shot at ~8:30 outside the 10-ring was from aiming at 4:00 on the outer 9-ring. Guess I must have been slinging it up much tighter than in the past and when shooting offhand without the sling the shots are hitting high. Reason they are to the left is because I cock the rifle a little to the left in order to get a more stable hold.

Despite the potential x-ring jackpot with the AR15, I'll probably just shoot the Bula M14 in MM unless the visibility and/or my eyes suck, then I'll probably shoot better with the 4X scoped AR15 upper. I use the same lower for my Compass Lake service rifle upper.
back when I was a lot better at getting more shots in the black in AH= awful hand. I generally had to dial in a little windage for canting and more times than not a few - min as I tend to shoot on the up swing through my wobble

back when I was a lot better at getting more shots in the black in AH= awful hand. I generally had to dial in a little windage for canting and more times than not a few - min as I tend to shoot on the up swing through my wobble

Yeah, there's something going on but it's new- I wasn't doing this before. I tend not to do it with the M14, but I guess we'll see.

Just wondering if anyone has seen what they have brought for rifles. I’m debating on taking a ride up and make a purchase.A games store report if you could

Just wondering if anyone has seen what they have brought for rifles. I’m debating on taking a ride up and make a purchase.A games store report if you could
You be better off going to the north store. You can check cmp forums for recent inventory and take a chance. I assume if nothings been reported from VT yet there’s not much going on

I think today would have been the first day of sales. I was in the 4th EIC match relay which didn’t finish until 6:15. Tomorrow I’ll try to take a look and report back.

Last year there was a very interesting selection and quite a few. There were at least two pallets of rifles. There were some Win 13’s and various make rebuilds from different arsenals. I picked up a SA ‘65 Winchester rebuild. There were a few other gems I have forgotten as I am not much of a collector.

I shot a 181-2x at 600 but tanked a couple other stages. DW probably shot well. Wish me luck in the SAFS M16 Match tomorrow. I shoot 2 GSMM matches on Saturday and 2 Sunday.

Due to a conflict, the barracks weren’t all available so folks are jammed together. To spare others from my log sawing I’m tent camping. Awesome spot on a hill, but I was warned of bear activity. I did see bear scat but there were no bells in it and it didn’t smell like pepper spray so I figure I’ll be ok.

472-13 in EIC; 90 offhand / 97 rapid sit / 98 rapid prone / 98 first string of 600, then fell off for 90 at the last string. Had I kept up last 600 string I would have got 6 points, argh. Cut was 474-9x with 6 legs. The CMP CT had incorrecly listed a guy on non-distinguished who was already legged out.

The north store is a little far for me to go. If nothing more maybe I will do another mail order but it would be nice to pick one out. Good luck to all competing.

I plan on checking the sales tomorrow. As Mountain mentioned, our match was scheduled to begin at noon time and we did not finish until past 6.

Here now

Several rack grades SA and IHC

A few winchester field and svc grades. There is a really nice winny with a 11-41bbl gauging 1 at both ends with a gi stock. It also has a -6 uncut op rod and a te rebuild etch on the receiver leg.

Several field grades, many with hackberry stocks

A few drill rifles

Surplus HXP for sale

They will bring out more rifles as these get sold

Not a great selection, beside the winny reference above nothing else stands out.

Last edited:
Here now

There may not be much that stands out but they have a few options to choose from. I may still take the ride. I am working a double today and tomorrow night. Might head up Sunday morning after work.Do you need to bring any documents if CMP already has your info on file from a mail order

Back
Top Bottom