CMP New England Games- Who's Going to Vermont?

Nice scores- especially at 600! [thumbsup]

Have my MM AR all set. Posted today's range result in Rifle Competition.

Planning a Granby run to sight in the Eddystone and verify the 1903 is still GTG. I might play with some light loads.

Last edited:
Thanks, those 80's make a difference at 600.

Especially entering the fall season where the air is becoming more cold and dense. I've been practicing a lot of service rifle at 600 yds. I've shot both 77's and 80's at 6 and during the hot summer, the 77's work fine (at PFG 600), but i'm learning that when the air gets dense and breezy the 80's are an advantage. I hope to be comfortable enough next year to try an 80 round match.

Especially entering the fall season where the air is becoming more cold and dense. I've been practicing a lot of service rifle at 600 yds. I've shot both 77's and 80's at 6 and during the hot summer, the 77's work fine (at PFG 600), but i'm learning that when the air gets dense and breezy the 80's are an advantage. I hope to be comfortable enough next year to try an 80 round match.

its crazy that 3 grains actually does much at all.. I have only tested a hand full of my 80s at 200 yards. Im going to have to crony my 80s and get a half decent zero for reading next year... I might just go to the first 600 any/any prone match to dial it in.

I know it's crazy that the extra 3 makes a difference but their profiles are different too. And you can't load the 77's just off the lands, they are too short. I have to check my notes but I think I seated the 80s to 2.450-55 which is .010ish from the lands. ? I measured the lands using the bullet + dowel method.

Last edited:
I got started on Berger 80.5 for longer distances after grabbing a box on sale. BC is .454 vs. .372 for the 77 SMK's. That's a much bigger difference than 3.5 grains.

I did OK with the 77's last year but will be using the Bergers this time.

I got started on Berger 80.5 for longer distances after grabbing a box on sale. BC is .454 vs. .372 for the 77 SMK's. That's a much bigger difference than 3.5 grains.

I did OK with the 77's last year but will be using the Bergers this time.

All very true... I'm going to start with .010" off it seems to be a a good balance. I,was flipping through some classic firearms mags at the club and Bill Wylde was featured in the article about reloading there's a quote from Bill stating something to the affect that 223 likes to jump...

All very true... I'm going to start with .010" off it seems to be a a good balance. I,was flipping through some classic firearms mags at the club and Bill Wylde was featured in the article about reloading there's a quote from Bill stating something to the affect that 223 likes to jump...

That's about where my .223 loads are set, maybe a little tighter but not much. My highpower barrel has the Compass Lake chamber, which is very close to the Wylde chamber. I really don't need to do anything with my service rifle, other than just shoot it better.

Modern Military AR is all set as well. On Saturday, shot a 100-7X or 6X depending on where the other 'double' is. I'd say this one is all set for Vermont.

IMG_0799.jpg

Shot Majspud's old Eddystone today and shot a 99-4X slow prone once I sighted it in. Reduced aperture definitely helping, though my eyes were a little off today.

IMG_0815.jpg

Shot a 99-1X with the JCG Garand, though it was pretty spread out. Maybe needs a fresh clean and lube and good barrel cleaning. First thing I shot this am, and as mentioned my eyes were a little off.

Before leaving, I practiced off-hand with the 513T at 100 yards. Very windy, so challenging with 22LR. Still shot a 90-1X, which is decent for me. Kinda funny to wait for it, then 'wack' on the paper.

So maybe later this week before I head to China next weekend I'll be able to establish 200 yard zeros for everything. Fixed the loose 1903 sight with a new screw & noticed the top of the sight was dinged and not square. Touched it up with a file. The service rifle is GTG, .308 'unlimited' class Garand is GTG, so is the MM AR15, and the Eddystone for Vintage. M14 is good to go if I want to shoot it as an extra MM 're-entry'. JCG as-issued Garand needs something, so I'll work on it this week.

I think I'll shoot factory Creedmoor in the JCG and .308 Garand, and 155 grain reloads in the '03 and Eddystone as for the above Eddystone target. Factory Creedmoor .308 if I shoot the M14.

At a minimum, I'll be shooting the high power match and 4 'Games' matches. Given the quick relays via electronic targets & being there Wednesday through 1/2 day Saturday, I could potentially shoot 6 'Games' matches.

Last edited:
Thanks. The 1917 isn't as accurate as yours, but seems relatively close considering no new Criterion barrel. Still amazed at the deal you found. Mine has an arsenal rebuild Winchester barrel that's in great shape.

How's your 1917 trigger? Mine has so much creep that I have to take a nap halfway through the trigger pull. At least it's consistent and somewhat manageable.

I'm hitting the limit for my eyes, so I'm sure the 1917 is capable of better.

Filling the rear aperture is super easy w/ JB Weld. Wipe clean w/ 90% alcohol or acetone, mix up the JB, apply, scrape almost level. Once cured file flat then drill with the right size bit twisted by your fingers. Dye black w/ a sharpie and either flat black paint or just hit with some sight black. If you know what size aperture you want, I probably have an extra fresh drill bit for that. Can mail or bring to Vermont.

A big part of the enjoyment for me is getting the most from these old rifles. Seems that I'm better at building / accurizing than match shooting, though at least sometimes I get a decent score.

I'm hitting the limit for my eyes, so I'm sure the 1917 is capable of better.

Filling the rear aperture is super easy w/ JB Weld. Wipe clean w/ 90% alcohol or acetone, mix up the JB, apply, scrape almost level. Once cured file flat then drill with the right size bit twisted by your fingers. Dye black w/ a sharpie and either flat black paint or just hit with some sight black. If you know what size aperture you want, I probably have an extra fresh drill bit for that. Can mail or bring to Vermont.

A big part of the enjoyment for me is getting the most from these old rifles. Seems that I'm better at building / accurizing than match shooting, though at least sometimes I get a decent score.

How about one of the iris on your shooting glasses.
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=390

Actually, I have one like that but need to find some decent glasses that are positioned high enough to put the iris in the right place. I bought the glasses iris when I bought an iris for the 513T. Next road trip south to see family, I should stop at the Creedmoor store in Alabama, or Champ Choice which is very close to my old home in Nashville. I haven't really seen anything I like online. Right now I have bent the nose pieces downward on a pair of +0.5 reading glasses. Works so-so and at least gives a sharper front sight.

Actually, I have one like that but need to find some decent glasses that are positioned high enough to put the iris in the right place. I bought the glasses iris when I bought an iris for the 513T. Next road trip south to see family, I should stop at the Creedmoor store in Alabama, or Champ Choice which is very close to my old home in Nashville. I haven't really seen anything I like online. Right now I have bent the nose pieces downward on a pair of +0.5 reading glasses. Works so-so and at least gives a sharper front sight.

Good luck finding a set of glasses that work.
Knoblochs are great but expensive..
My Randolph Rangers are ok I,still need to position the bridge or left nose pad onto the right side of my nose in off hand.
HyWides work well also. I have been using Morgan optical out of NY for lenses.

I tried a set of the Bob Jones sights. The advantage to these is the frames and nose pads are easy to bend. And there not $400
http://www.bjonessights.com/glasses-2.html

Still need to finish mag length .223 for rapids and .30-06 for the '03 and '17, so a bit more to do. Slowed down by finally needing to trim brass. Have been able to skip that the last couple reloads.

Little Crow trimmer works well for me, but those Girauds are supposed to be pretty awesome. Had to trim some Norma .223 brass for the first time & some LC- not the first time for that.

I'm going to load some 155 Palmas for the '03 into some Lapua brass. Only will neck size this time and that brass doesn't need a trim. Probably will use HXP brass already sized for the 1917. That stuff needs a trim for sure. If I start running short on time I'll just shoot the Creedmoor- I have plenty of that but it's 167 gr and kicks more than my 155's.

Not going to bother loading any .308's. I have enough Creedmoor in .308 to cover the M1 and M14 if I shoot those.

Able to hit the range this afternoon and sight in the Service Rifle, MM, 1903, and 1917 at 200 yards. Also dialed in the service rifle at 300.

Fixing the '03 NM's loose front sight brought it back to the usual excellent accuracy. Must have moved the elevation on the 1917- had some fun getting it on paper and centered. AR's did what AR's do.

Now that I have the scopes on the AR's, I can actually see my pulse bouncing the point of aim a little. Was wearing a sweatshirt and Creedmoor jacket. Doesn't help that I just hoofed it back 300 yards over rough ground.

Now that I have the scopes on the AR's, I can actually see my pulse bouncing the point of aim a little. Was wearing a sweatshirt and Creedmoor jacket. Doesn't help that I just hoofed it back 300 yards over rough ground.

When I first got my Rx lense that bouncing front sight took a little to get used to again. That should have been the first sign my eyes where going. All that time I thought I was getting better

When I first got my Rx lense that bouncing front sight took a little to get used to again. That should have been the first sign my eyes where going. All that time I thought I was getting better

LOL! I was thinking the same thing- jeez, what's wrong with me that I've got this damn pulse dancing reticle. Where's it coming from? The jacket? The glove? Need a thicker sweatshirt? On the MM AR I use the cotton web sling and don't sling up too tightly. Could still see a little bouncing.

Despite the annoying bounce, still possible to make some really tight groups with the service rifle.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing- jeez, what's wrong with me that I've got this damn pulse dancing reticle. Where's it coming from? The jacket? The glove? Need a thicker sweatshirt? On the MM AR I use the cotton web sling and don't sling up too tightly. Could still see a little bouncing.

Despite the annoying bounce, still possible to make some really tight groups with the service rifle.

accept your aiming area!

Bummer to miss OCSA tomorrow- that would be a good test before Vermont later in the month. Regardless, I have all my rifles & ammo ready before I head to China tomorrow. I'll only have a few days between my return and the match. Hopefully return travel is not a C-F so that I can be reasonably rested.

Here's the run-down on the events I am already registered for and the equipment:

-EIC Highpower Match: Service rifle, self built .223 'pussy gun' with Compass Lake / Krieger barrel. Vortex PST scope.
-JCG As-Issued: SA WWII receiver, CMP Special, worked on by Franco. The work added a little accuracy but made the most impact via much more consistency in rapids.
-Modern Military: Pussy Gun Jr. Self-built AR upper with Criterion 20" USGI weight barrel. Using the same lower as the service rifle. Leupold Mark AR scope.
-Springfield Match: 1903 National Match made 1933, re-barreled w/ SA 1938 star gauge. This thing is a laser- hope I can do it some justice...
Vintage Military: 1917 Eddystone from Majspud. Will shoot the same 155 Palma / Varget loads as for the '03.

Probably should sign up for one more and shoot the Unlimited Garand class.

Back
Top Bottom