• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 Dogs attacked by Pitbull-what would you have done

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, sorry to hear of your incident. Im just thankful it wasn't your children that got attacked. In these conversations, most people say "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. IMO...BULL. Since you asked for opinions, heres mine.

The majority of Pits are monsters, or have a greater potential to be. My girlfriend has been in the Vet business for years and years. She tries not to have any prejudices towards any breed of dogs..or humans. But you have to call a spade a spade. She has seen so many victims of Pits in her line of work, it has changed her thinking towards them. Yes, it usually is a combination of the owner and the breed.

In my town, you have to have a $100,000 ins. policy and register them as a dangerous dog. They must also have a fenced in yard. Think about it, you have to have a license to carry mace or firearms, why not do background checks for potential pit owners also? They can be a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands (which, unfortunately, is most owners of pits). They are usually purchased as a status symbols or fighting dogs.

I will not jump on the "banning wagon" though. I feel that an insurance policy must be mandatory, so the victims of these animals can be compensated for any loses. Financial or otherwise. This would also make it more difficult for our status seeking individuals to own such dogs. Also, a physical inspection by the city or town of the property that the animal will be kept.

Lets not forget that these dogs are also among the most abused, abandoned and neglected animals.

In this case, I would have shot him. No doubt in my mind. But since you didn't, I would sue the owner and make sure the dog gets the "blue juice".

You sound like a liberal anti talking about guns. Why should a responsible owner of a pit bull require a $100,000 insurance policy because some other owner is an inbred d'bag and can't keep his pit bull in his double wide or on a leash? Register them as a dangerous dog?? Really is this not Nanny-Statism at its best? It's not dangerous if you keep it leashed and under control. Which is once again the responsibility of the owner.
The only reason you hear about pit bull bites more often is because a pit bull does a hell of a lot more damage when it bites than when a chihuahua does.

Jmmclory,
I hope you are able to get the money out of this a**h*** who is giving all of us who have responsibly owned pit bulls a bad name. Judging the rest of us by his actions would be a sad mistake though. Much like judging law abiding gun owners by the actions of a fool ass gangbanger.

After all is said and done though, I too would have shot the pit bull in question if it had been attacking my dogs or child.

JmcClory, I am very sorry for what happened.
I wrote my first post before I saw your update, so I am editing it. If the owner hides the pit, it can't be forever, unless he decided to get rid of the dog. If the dog shows up, you can report it to the ACO. It is important that your vet and the police have the record about an incident. Maybe it is possible to sue the house owners for providing an apartment for a dog's owner without pating dog insurance and registering the dog? Try to find out.
Good luck to you and your dogs. Hope they will get better soon.
With as much as I love animals, I would not think much before shooting or stabbing a large dog who attacked another animal...

Pit bulls are tools of the devil. I'll pay for this in rep points (even thought I don't care), but I've had more than one personal experience.

In my opinion, there is no reason to possess one of these firearms except to protect drug dealings and other nefarious occupations.

These weapons are made to kill...period. They don't care who or what they kill.

I don't blame the gun. I do blame the people who own them and protect them as being "wonderful, harmless things if they are used properly."

This flies in the face of anyone who knows anything about dog instincts.

OK, have at me, but it will not change my mind.

I actually carry in my neighborhood more for these animals than for human animals.
Corrected for you.

While I find it right to kill a dog in self-defence and to force all dog owners to have their pets leashed (or maybe even muzzled) while walking them in public areas and to pay for whatever damages their dogs had caused, and while I support euthanasia of uncontrollably aggressive animals, I can't agree with you. Banning certain breeds is nothing but limitation of peoples' freedom, pure and simple.

Last edited:
Not so long ago my evil black Doberman was attacked by one of the most popular in America dogs: a Labrador. My dog had an hour-long surgical procedure to be fixed. She was lucky that the nice, playful kid-loving Lab did not bite through her major blood vessels.

I'd have shot/spayed the dog. The kids being there was not the reason to restrain yourself. Engaging the dog yourself (kicking, pulling, etc.) when it is only attacking your animals would be a mistake. He might turn on you. MHO.

I've known pitbulls that were loves. And I've seen them turn. On kids. 'nuff said.

I think most Pit Bulls would be non-aggressive toward people or animals if they're raised and socialized correctly. The problem is that a lot people who own Pit Bulls are the type of insecure people who WANT to have aggressive dogs, so they raise them wrong. So I think the fault is almost always with the owner, and not the dog. In cases where a dog mauls a person's face off or kills a person, I think the dog's owner should receive a mandatory death penalty. A good dose of pepper spray would probably work for the dog though.

Last edited:
Not saying I am for "bans" of any sort on dogs, but the comparing the dog to a firearm argument holds no water in my opinion. A gun is a tool. It doesn't have a brain or a reasoning process. A dog...ANY dog, is a living, breathing entity with some degree of free will. All the responsible ownership in the world won't completely eliminate the chance of something like this happening. All the examples written here (or anywhere) about APBTs that were sweetheart, awesome pets, are the exact same sentiments owners of ones involved in these attacks always say up until the attack happens.

Not saying I am for "bans" of any sort on dogs, but the comparing the dog to a firearm argument holds no water in my opinion. A gun is a tool. It doesn't have a brain or a reasoning process. A dog...ANY dog, is a living, breathing entity with some degree of free will. All the responsible ownership in the world won't completely eliminate the chance of something like this happening.

I don't try to deny an obvious difference between an animal and a tool. However, a requirement to keep dogs leashed while outside of an apartment of a fenced yard, and keeping owners responsible for actions of their animals is a reasonable soluton. Banning certain breeds because "there is no reason to possess them except to protect drug dealings and other nefarious occupations." is just as unreasonable as gun banning because some people leave loaded firearms within reach of children.
There a A LOT objects which are not really needed and potentially dangerous. I am all for responsible ownership of dogs, guns, motorcycles and whatever. I am against banning anything because someone is an irresponsible owner.

All the examples written here (or anywhere) about APBTs that were sweetheart, awesome pets, are the exact same sentiments owners of ones involved in these attacks always say up until the attack happens.
Most PB owners whose dogs attack animals and people never look at them as at sweet, awesome pets.

Last edited:
In the 80's it was the German Shephard, the 90's was the Dobie and Rott now it's the Pit Bull.

I own 2 Pit mixes and would not hesitate about getting another. It's up to the owner's to socialized the dogs.

A few years back, both of my dog's were attacked by a Great Dane. While in MY yard with about 10 other neighborhood dogs having a good time. My largest Pit, 115lbs, had an ear torn in half. My smaller one, 45 lbs, was picked up and tossed 10 feet by the Dane. The big one not being the brightest thought it was a game and kept on playing with the other dogs. While my small one ran and hid. The Great Dane was a newcomer to the group and from a shelter. She had bitten/swatted other dogs in the past and we were trying to socialize her. The owner of the Great Dane took my Pit with the torn ear to the vet in his own car and paid for the bill without even thinking about it.

I've also seen a Jack Russel tear a cat to shreds right in front of me. There was nothing I could have done to save the cat. The owner of the dog promptly put it down when he was able to get to the dog. The Jack Russel had bitten people and other animals in the past.

So the owner of the Pit that attacked your dog you'll probably never see again. Unlikely he'll pay for the vet bills if you do find him. You can only hope that he goes back to prison.

I'm sorry for your loss, there are good and bad dogs out there. But it's how they were bred and raised to be good or bad. You can not just label all Pits as bad, ban the deed not the breed.

FYI, tan leather seats and blood don't go well together. The dried blood left stains and the dried blood was difficult to remove.

Last edited:
I WILL kill any violent animal around my child in an instant.

I don't care whose it is nor what it is. If it is rampaging and my child is nearby the animal will be executed.

A dog...ANY dog, is a living, breathing entity with some degree of free will. All the responsible ownership in the world won't completely eliminate the chance of something like this happening.

Yeah, but more often than not it would drastically reduce it.

Most of the time there aren't pit bulls breeding out in the wild. When one bites someone, it usually BELONGS to someone, and that someone either let it run wherever the hell it wanted to, abandoned it intentionally, or didn't train it very well. Usually when you hear news reports of a dog biting/mauling someone, that dog usually has an identified
owner/keeper. These dogs don't just appear out of nowhere.

-Mike

Most of the time there aren't pit bulls breeding out in the wild. When one bites someone, it usually BELONGS to someone, and that someone either let it run wherever the hell it wanted to, abandoned it intentionally, or didn't train it very well. Usually when you hear news reports of a dog biting/mauling someone, that dog usually has an identified
owner/keeper.

These dogs don't just appear out of nowhere.

I think the keyword in 2000GM's post is responsible. The owners of the dog's that end up biting someone are not responsible. They are dirtbags that just keep on inbreeding their dogs to accentuate certain traits. These dirtbags also juice their dogs so they no longer resemble what a rational person would call a dog.

Man, I am so sorry to hear about your dogs and the trauma to your entire family! It's hard to say what I would have done - easy to armchair quarterback this one. If I had a clear shot, (that would not endanger my family, or my dog) I would have likely killed it in a heartbeat. However, it sounds like you did not have a clear opportunity to shoot this animal, so now you're left with a mess to your own animals and a dangerous dog on the loose. I would absolutely seek legal action - even on your neighbor who harbored this SOB.

Please keep us posted on this - I'm sad for your dogs, but am glad they are alive. They will need a lot of TLC after this and maybe even some re-socialization....Good luck!

BTW - I have used OC on two pitbulls and it worked...

I always carry a .45 auto and my first thought would be to shoot the dog, although I like dogs more than I like people. But keep this in mind. It would be very difficult to hit that dog and not yours with them moving around and you're still responsible for where your bullet goes afterward. A friend on the Boston PD always carries pepper spray when he carries off duty. I'm beginning to think it's a good idea. It gives you an option before going to deadly force. As you found out broom sticks don't work. I found out snow shovels don't work any better.

A friend on the Boston PD always carries pepper spray when he carries off duty. I'm beginning to think it's a good idea. It gives you an option before going to deadly force. As you found out broom sticks don't work. I found out snow shovels don't work any better.

It is even more difficult to get an attacking dog and not your dog with a spray. What really can help, IMO, is something like a baseball bat or a stick to hit a dog... Yes, just as hard as you can.

Pit Bull Saves Family of Five

Smoke alarms sounded, but it was Jasmine who woke them up

By ASHA BEH

Updated 4:15 PM EDT, Sat, Mar 28, 2009

Canine power saved the morning for one Alexandria family.

The smoke alarms started going off, but it wasn't until a pit bull started barking that her family woke up and discovered a fire in the basement of their Alexandria home.

The fire, which started close to 1 a.m. Saturday morning in the two-story duplex at 37 South Gordon Street, started inside the dryer vent, according to officials. It was spreading inside a wall behind the washer and dryer when a plastic water line ruptured and partly put the blaze out.

The family said that it was their pit bull, Jasmine, who alerted them to the fire.

Damage to the home is estimated at $20,000. Alexandria fire department workers installed new smoke alarms in the home.

The family and Jasmine have made plans to stay with family and friends.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Pit-Bull-Saves-Family-of-Five.html

I've been carrying a mag light but now that the summers coming I don't need a flashlight for the majority of my walks. I need to find something suitable to protect myself and my dog but I'm not sure which would be best.
Carry the maglight. Get a 4 C-cell one if you don't have one yet - it's easier to grip than a D cell version and will still make a dent in dog. Go ahead and carry it and to hell with what anyone thinks.

Also, remember that all the dog owner has to say is "He threatened me with the gun after shooting my dog", and you'll be surrendering all your guns to the police, perhaps paying Dowd's ransom to transfer them to a friend with an LTC, and having a talk with an attorney about how many thousands (or tens of thousands) it will cost to defend the case instead of take a plea bargain that will leave you a prohibited person.
Ah, yes, Rob's obligatory contribution to making MA gun owners hesitate in a life or death situation. Getting really old, Rob.

The first thing I did was pick up my 3 dogs and bring them to the Vet and the second thing I did was call 911(I should have explained that). After spending 10 hours at the Vet the Police arrivied at my house at Midnight and did take a report of what happened and tried to make contact with my neighbor who lives right accross the street from me but I found out that he took the Pitbull and hide the dog some where because he knew what was going to happen.
Typical. A neighbor of mine at my old house had three Dobies that he let run loose - they used to chase me on my motorcycle when I came riding by. [rolleyes] And of course, by the time I called Animal Control and they showed up the dobies were magically on a leash. [rolleyes] I started riding with my left leg ready to deliver a booted foot at 30 MPH to these monsters...

By the way my all my kids where within 5 feet of this attack
I have to think that this would have been mitigating circumstances - I'd have been afraid for the kids and Mr Pit Bull would have come down with a case of lead poisoning. However, you were the one on the spot, and if you say that you couldn't get a clear shot... well, you were there and we weren't.

I'm just glad your kids are all right and your pups are healing.

If I have a gun at hand and a pit bull attacks my two dogs, I shoot the pitbull untill the slide locks back. My dogs are people to me.

Just a FYI for you all. After my pit bull incident, neighbors called 911 immediately, and animal control arrived right away. The officer alone did not want to take on the 3 dogs so he called for back up, and two cruisers arrived.

I watched as these guys used FIRE EXTINGUISHERS to subdue the dogs. It seemed to work quite well. It's just one more thing to add to your mental arsenal should a situation ever arise, especially if lethal force is not an option due to bystanders, other animals, whatever.

The majority of Pits are monsters, or have a greater potential to be. My girlfriend has been in the Vet business for years and years. She tries not to have any prejudices towards any breed of dogs..or humans. But you have to call a spade a spade. She has seen so many victims of Pits in her line of work, it has changed her thinking towards them.

and thiis is why i had to carefully choose where my dogs are vetted... i REFUSE to go to any vet that has any sort of problem with pit bulls-- it's garbage-- i have seen just as many pit bulls that are victimized by people and other dogs... only you don't hear about it so much because pit bulls attacking is better news and criminals don't vet their dogs [thinking]

It is even more difficult to get an attacking dog and not your dog with a spray. What really can help, IMO, is something like a baseball bat or a stick to hit a dog... Yes, just as hard as you can.

you should never hit a dog that is attacking-- they say it heightens their aggression. if they have a collar on you can try to twist it to cut the air off, you can grab a garden hose and hose them, etc. there are many ways

I'd have shot/spayed the dog. The kids being there was not the reason to restrain yourself. Engaging the dog yourself (kicking, pulling, etc.) when it is only attacking your animals would be a mistake. He might turn on you. MHO.

I've known pitbulls that were loves. And I've seen them turn. On kids. 'nuff said.

this is a bunch of horse shit. dogs don't turn on [rolleyes] and just because a dog wants to bite another dog does not mean they want you. pit bulls are inherently dog agressive-- human aggression is not natural and was actually culled by dog men years ago because their fighting dogs had to be good with their handler and their families.

**oh-- yesterday we got home and an enourmous pit bull was attached to our dog runner. i guess he was running loose through the neighborhood and playing with kids dogs etc. my neighbors looked in my window and saw all 3 of my dogs sleeping in their crates but figured i might know who the dog belonged to.

so i took the dog off of the runner and he was obviously scared, hunkering down, etc. i petted him for a few minutes and brought him down the street. it was this dog that barks and cries all day and night while living outside on a chain-- the dog is about a year old. in another year, i wouldn't expect him to be so friendly... dogs on chains are frustrated and unhappy animals. i gave the dog to the man who promptly put him on the chain.

i am calling a/c on monday-- that is no life for any dog.

Last edited:
i am calling a/c on monday-- that is no life for any dog.

I agree with you but..... the owner has the right to keep him that way. As long as the dog has shelter and water and the dog appears to be getting fed. Animal Control should be staying out of it.

It sucks but.....

he has a wire crate outside-- that is no shelter. the dog is always in the mud-- its awful [sad2]

the bf is going to give them an igloo shelter for the dog, but i think from meetting this dog that they are beating the crap out of it.

he has a wire crate outside-- that is no shelter. the dog is always in the mud-- its awful [sad2]

the bf is going to give them an igloo shelter for the dog, but i think from meetting this dog that they are beating the crap out of it.

Roger that!

you should never hit a dog that is attacking-- they say it heightens their aggression. if they have a collar on you can try to twist it to cut the air off, you can grab a garden hose and hose them, etc. there are many ways
In a given situation, when an attacking dog has your dog in her mouth, your kids are nearby, and you don't have a garden hose, stick is, IMO, safer than a gun or a pepper spray. Twisting an agressive dog's collar and not being bit takes practice and can be done safely only by a trained professional, and grabbing a hose, intwisting it and waiting for the water to come up is a time waist whch may cost your dog's life.

Don't forget to notify ACO that you think the dog is being abused. They may send it for a vet examination, and file animal abuse against the owner.

In a given situation, when an attacking dog has your dog in her mouth, your kids are nearby, and you don't have a garden hose, stick is, IMO, safer than a gun or a pepper spray. Twisting an agressive dog's collar and not being bit takes practice and can be done safely only by a trained professional, and grabbing a hose, intwisting it and waiting for the water to come up is a time waist whch may cost your dog's life.

there are many ways-- but hitting is not as effective as you would think and can serve to make the situation worse--

personally i would and have risked the bite to break a dog free from killing mine. i was able to get the dog off by choking off his air supply.

i would not hesitate to do it again.

i now carry a knife. i would hate to use it but i would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom