• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 Dogs attacked by Pitbull-what would you have done

Status
Not open for further replies.
???? Not sure what you mean by this. The whole issue here is that they DO have the free will to whatever they want, whenever they want. It is up us to control that and prevent them from exercising that free will in destructive ways.

I mean they don't think, they just do. We can train them to do certain tasks, & they do certain things out of instinct. They don't have the ability to rationalize or weigh options like we do.

That's all I meant regarding free will. I agree with your last sentence 100%.

I had the unfortunate run in with a pit bull last weekend. My wife and I decided to take our 4 kids for a walk with our 3 dogs which is no easy task. I usually take my 3 dogs out on there leash and hook them up to my tow ball of my Tahoe and come in and help my wife bring the kids out. This day was the same but when I went to go into my garage to get the babies stroller, I heard my wife scream like I have never heard before. My kids are 5,4,2 and 1 month old and new something was wrong. When i came around the car my 1 months car seat was tipped over (with the child in it) and my wife was screaming because the pit bull (which was not on a leash) had my mix breed dog 20 lbs in his mouth and before I knew it the dog was 10 feet in the air and the pit bull was going after one of my 2 beagles. Thank god my younger beagle fought back and only needed a couple of stiches but my older beagle wasn't as lucky. The pitbull was ripping her apart while I was hitting the dog with a broom pole which had absolutly no effect at all. I had my warhog on me and was within second of using it when the owner of the dog finally got the dog off of mine. What would you have done? I think if my kids where in the house the outcome would have been much different, I was just to worried about them seeing something they shouldn't. The Beagle is now doing better but had to have 25 stitches and lost half it ear and a broken leg. Does anyone know how I go about getting my vet bills paid, can I sue his homeowner insurance or do I have to go after him in civil court.

I would have ended it very unsatisfactorily for the Pit Bull owner. Let the Mastiff, Rottweiler, and Pit Bull owners now chime in about how wonderful their happy little pets are and how they are so nice to their kids.... 3...... 2....... 1...... Start!

[rofl][laugh2] Some dogs are very good escape artists.

They are. Dogs think. Maybe not to the same level as humans, but they think. You can actually watch some dogs solve a problem before attacking it. They reason.

They also have free will. They KNOW when they are doing something wrong. Sometimes they do it anyway, sometimes they don't. I don't know why. It's certainly their choice, though.

That beagle escaping wasn't instinctual. It was a reasoned response to an obstacle.

some of you pit bull haters would be mortified if i killed a labrador that was attacking my pit bull (who is smaller than a lab and is submissive)

any loose dog worries me to be honest, while i am walking my pit bull. even if another dog approached and attacked MY pit bull who is on a leash, has tags, has all of his shots, and is not a fighter...some of you folks would blame my dog if he were to defend himself and possibly kill the other dog. i think that sucks.

some of you pit bull haters would be mortified if i killed a labrador that was attacking my pit bull (who is smaller than a lab and is submissive)

any loose dog worries me to be honest, while i am walking my pit bull. even if another dog approached and attacked MY pit bull who is on a leash, has tags, has all of his shots, and is not a fighter...some of you folks would blame my dog if he were to defend himself and possibly kill the other dog. i think that sucks.

Yup...we're automatically deemed to be in fault just because of our dog's breed. [rolleyes] I was bit by an off-leash lab last month that tried humping my on-leash female during our walk. Not fun. It does suck! Pits are the EBR's of dogs.

Meow

manul.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom