• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 Dogs attacked by Pitbull-what would you have done

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the unfortunate run in with a pit bull last weekend. My wife and I decided to take our 4 kids for a walk with our 3 dogs which is no easy task. I usually take my 3 dogs out on there leash and hook them up to my tow ball of my Tahoe and come in and help my wife bring the kids out. This day was the same but when I went to go into my garage to get the babies stroller, I heard my wife scream like I have never heard before. My kids are 5,4,2 and 1 month old and new something was wrong. When i came around the car my 1 months car seat was tipped over (with the child in it) and my wife was screaming because the pit bull (which was not on a leash) had my mix breed dog 20 lbs in his mouth and before I knew it the dog was 10 feet in the air and the pit bull was going after one of my 2 beagles. Thank god my younger beagle fought back and only needed a couple of stiches but my older beagle wasn't as lucky. The pitbull was ripping her apart while I was hitting the dog with a broom pole which had absolutly no effect at all. I had my warhog on me and was within second of using it when the owner of the dog finally got the dog off of mine. What would you have done? I think if my kids where in the house the outcome would have been much different, I was just to worried about them seeing something they shouldn't. The Beagle is now doing better but had to have 25 stitches and lost half it ear and a broken leg. Does anyone know how I go about getting my vet bills paid, can I sue his homeowner insurance or do I have to go after him in civil court.

Oye.

That SUCKS. Sorry to hear about your dogs.

I'd carry a can of OC. I would have sprayed that pitbull dead in the face.

I'd also get the owner of the pitbull to pay your vet bills for sure.

Pit bulls are tools of the devil. I'll pay for this in rep points (even thought I don't care), but I've had more than one personal experience.

In my opinion, there is no reason to possess one of these miserable creatures except to protect drug dealings and other nefarious occupations.

These animals are bred to kill...period. They don't care who or what they kill.

I don't blame the dog. I do blame the people who own them and protect them as being "wonderful, harmless animals if they are raised properly."

This flies in the face of anyone who knows anything about dog instincts.

OK, have at me, but it will not change my mind.

I actually carry in my neighborhood more for these animals than for human animals.

I don't know what I would do in that situation, but sounds like the attacking dog could have easily ended up with some lead injections, especially if it was hostile and in the vicinity of my children.

Give him the vet bill. And if he doesn't pay then you'll probably have to go to small claims court.

The guy may not have coverage under his homeowners ins. From what I've been told a lot of companies wont insure if there are dangerous dogs in the house or on the property. In that case the guy will have to come up with cash on his own. Failing that take him to Small Claims Court and get a judgement against him. Sad to say it's not always easy to collect on the judgement. Good luck. Sorry to hear of that this happened to your family and dogs. I agree with News Shooter this breed is bad news.

I'm no expert in law,but it definitely sounds like he is liable for some damages. Regardless of the leash laws in your area, but you must be able to get him on something.

I can understand News Shooter's stance,but thats like saying we should arrest all the kids with baggy pants (well actually...no its still a bad idea) Regardless of breed's intended use, A dog's traits are never based solely on bloodline. I worked at a Dog Kennel for a while and you learn to throw aside the stereotypes after you take care of a 250 lb Mastiff who bounces around like a chihuahua pup.

Pit bulls are tools of the devil. I'll pay for this in rep points (even thought I don't care), but I've had more than one personal experience.

In my opinion, there is no reason to possess one of these miserable creatures except to protect drug dealings and other nefarious occupations.

I don't blame the dog. I do blame the people who own them and protect them as being "wonderful, harmless animals if they are raised properly."

I actually carry in my neighborhood more for these animals than for human animals.

I have mixed feeling on pitbulls. I have known people who have real nasty ones and I have known people who have had pitbulls that are the nicest dogs in the world. Personally I probably wouldn't own one, but i can't say no one should own them. I think a lot of the problems are the owners. Most owners get pitbulls for the reputation and want them to be mean tough dogs.

To say the are killing machines and no one should posses them in my opinion is just as bad as people saying guns are killing machines and no one should posses them.

Now i understand guns are not living things and dogs are, but dogs are stupid and will learn what you teach them.

The biggest problem with a pitbull is they are so strong. Once they bit down, its all over. It's very difficult to get them to let go.

As for the owner he is very lucky his dog is still alive today. He should be held accountable and pay for your vet bills. He is also very lucky (as well as you) that it didn't harm one of your kids.

I had a pitbull attack one of my dogs in SC. Myrtle Beach dog park to be exact.

I ran over and disabled the pitbull and had my hands compressing the rear of the jaws. This seemed effective for releasing the dog.. If it were my property, I would have dispatched the beast. My dogs and children are part and parcel to my livelihood and I would not think twice to destroy to protect.

The pit bull terrier is a uniquely American breed. The likes of Thomas Alva Edison, Teddy Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson have owned and bred them. They are not bad dogs, but they are bred to fight, and have been for several hundred years.

The unfortunate result of this breeding is that the pit bull can extremely dangerous to other dogs. This is a problem that the owner must deal with. I did a lot of research on the breed prior to buying one and decided against it after a first hand experience. A pit bull tried to eat a small poodle in front of me in a parking lot. I was forced to pick the poodle up so that the pit didn't get its lunch. This experience ended my search for a pit bull. I simply could not introduce a dog into my neighborhood that might kill one of my neighbor's pets.

Properly bred and socialized pit bulls are are not a danger to people, but they can be a danger to other animals. The real danger is the owners. For more information on pit bulls, check out the Sports Illustated article on the fighting dogs rescued from Michael Vick's kennel.

I am still a big fan of the breed; I just don't want to own a dog that I can never let off of its leash. I bought a Rottweiler instead and have ben delighted with this choice.

All dogs should be leashed or properly contained by a fence while under the control of the owner. I would be knocking on my neighbors door with the bill from the vet. I have two dogs, a Great Dane and a Lab. My neighbor down the street refuses to leash his dog and it has gone after our dogs and also lunged at me before. The owner keeps telling me that he is harmless. Luckily we haven't crossed paths since last fall, but I told the owner if we had trouble again we'll have a different scenario to deal with.

Sue his ass off. Seriously. I am not a man with children, and I treat my dog like one so all I could imagine while reading your story was blowing that fu**ing dog away. I am glad your dogs and kids are ok. Now its time to make the owner squeal.

I've used OC on 3 dogs and it has worked well. One time when my dog was being attacked and the others when my kids were in danger of being attacked. Depending on the location of your family during the attack, using a firearm or even OC may have not been an option. One tends to have a delayed response the first time something like this happens. Consider this first encounter training for the future and be thankful your family walked away from it. Good luck and stay safe. Mil-Dot

Chapter 140: Section 156. Killing dogs under certain conditions; wounded dogs Section 156. Any person may kill a dog which suddenly assaults him while he is peaceably standing, walking or riding outside the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog found out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper and not under his immediate care in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, and if any person shall kill or attempt to kill a dog so found, and in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, he shall not be held liable for cruelty to the dog unless it shall be shown that he intended to be cruel to the dog, or that he acted with a wanton and reckless disregard for the suffering of the dog. Prompt killing of a wounded dog, or a prompt report to the owner or to a dog officer of the wounding of the dog, shall be considered evidence of sufficient regard for the suffering of the dog.

All dogs should be leashed or properly contained by a fence while under the control of the owner. I would be knocking on my neighbors door with the bill from the vet. I have two dogs, a Great Dane and a Lab. My neighbor down the street refuses to leash his dog and it has gone after our dogs and also lunged at me before. The owner keeps telling me that he is harmless. Luckily we haven't crossed paths since last fall, but I told the owner if we had trouble again we'll have a different scenario to deal with.

+1

i have three of these MONSTERS [rolleyes]--

blame this one on the owner-- i would have maced and contained the loose dog, called animal control to pick it up, and i would have made the owner pay my dog's vet bills. i also would have had some words for the owner. if it killed my dog, i would fight to have the dog euthed.

there is a state wide leash law in massachusetts. my dogs are always on a leash and are also well behaved dogs. there is on excuse for someone's dog running loose and terrorizing a neighborhood

i have a real issue with people saying that these dogs are terrible and no one should own them, etc. there has been a push to ban pit bulls here--and if you don't think that can happen, look @ denver co. breed specific legislation is passed all over-- they would be able to come to my house and seize my dogs-- all that is doing is punishing responsible pit bull owners like myself... a**h***s and idiots will still have them when they are banned...

Last edited:
For every "good" Pitbull,there are 9 monsters.

I can't say I would have shot the dog because it sounds like your 3 kids were too close.

Mix some antifreeze and rat poison with raw ground beef and feed it to that pit and take care of that problem.

Last edited:
An incident with three pit bulls was the reason I started to carry, although I had had the LTC for many years. If not for two neighbors, one with a 2x4, and the other with a golf club, I would have had a similar story to yours to tell. My Benchmade and Red Wings weren't going to get the job done alone.

I hope you have contacted your local police or animal control. If this animal was free enough to mess with you, it could mess with others. In my neighborhood I worry about the elderly walkers and moms with strollers, many who walk with leashed dogs.

Best of luck to you, your family, and your dogs

I would file a complaint with my local police as well as the board of selectman, start establishing a history. You should get your vet bill money at the very least.

I love animals, especially dogs. Given the situation, with my little one in the car seat, I'd have shot the beast to protect my child.

You need to report this to the local animal control officer and then I would have the neighbor pay for the bill. I would also look at using the small claims court if he refused to pay.

It's too bad really because the owner should have kept his dog under control and no one would have been harmed. The owner is responsible for the animal's actions.[sad]

+1

i have three of these MONSTERS [rolleyes]--

blame this one on the owner-- i would have maced and contained the loose dog, called animal control to pick it up, and i would have made the owner pay my dog's vet bills. i also would have had some words for the owner. if it killed my dog, i would fight to have the dog euthed.

there is a state wide leash law in massachusetts. my dogs are always on a leash and are also well behaved dogs. there is on excuse for someone's dog running loose and terrorizing a neighborhood

i have a real issue with people saying that these dogs are terrible and no one should own them, etc. there has been a push to ban pit bulls here--and if you don't think that can happen, look @ denver co. breed specific legislation is passed all over-- they would be able to come to my house and seize my dogs-- all that is doing is punishing responsible pit bull owners like myself... a**h***s and idiots will still have them when they are banned...

At least we have one responsible pet owner. I don't think any breed should be banned. Some owners should be banned - irresponsible ones.

I have neve encountered a bit bull, luckily. I have had a few experiences with German Shepards. The key is to have a weapon of some sort. You can scream and yell at the dog all day long, and he will not back down. But if you pick up a big rock that he can see and hold it over your head ready to throw, or better yet a long stick, it seems to confuse them enough that they back down. Stand your ground and brandish the stick and he no longer wants to eat you as much!

Of course, this will not work on a trained attack dog, but the run of the mill dog does not seem to respond well to a changing tactical situation--in my experience they back down.

Kids understand a lot more than we give them credit for. If your kids saw the pit bull attacking your dogs, I think that they would have quickly understood why daddy had to shoot the dog. (If you had, of course.) Protecting them physically is crucial, but pausing to protect them emotionally may not always have the intended result. If they know that daddy has guns to protect the family from danger, they might wonder why you didn't use it. And that might even start them thinking of scenarios, which could be good or bad. Just my $0.02.

I would have shot the dog no questions asked.

I own 2 dogs myself and would shoot anyone or anything that meant to harm them

Press charges. Have him pay the vet bill money, on-site, face-to-face, without delay or he will be sued. With the little kids around, both criminal and civil penalties will be substantial.

Have they quarantined the pit??? It will probably eventually be put down.

Unfortunatly I live in the city. There are many irresponsible owners of these dogs that have no job, or insurance. They rent apartments and do not register the dogs. When an attack happens "its not my dog"

Good luck

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

Reload.

Repeat if necessary.

Why ? Because if a dog is attacking in the manner described with a baby, toddlers and small children in the area they have a very strong probability of being attacked and possibly killed next. I wouldn't care what state I was in.

In the aftermath, I'd start with a criminal complaint and then lawyer up and sue the POS human responsibile for letting the furry hand grenade get loose.

<snip>Chapter 140: Section 156. Killing dogs under certain conditions; wounded dogs Section 156. <snip>

Thanks for the cite, good info. Point for you.

I have nothing against dogs but its the irresponsible humans which piss me off.

Last edited:
At the very least the police/animal control officer should have been called so as to document the incident and issue a citation/charges against the pit bull owner.

This would have triggered restitution for your vet bills upon disposition of the citation/charges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom