.22LR MEGA THREAD!

That’s my fear, if what I’m after does exist, it’s from the 70’s, has 20,000 rounds through it and costs $600.

What about the lever actions is more appealing than the semiautos to you?
I’ve been following the .22 LR lever action thread as well.
The Double Nines were pretty inexpensive. I think Yankee Artifacts had one recently.

I like working the action and slowing down a bit versus loading mags and dumping them in the TCR. I like that the tube holds like 27 shorts and the action feeds them no problem. I like that I can shoot any 22 ammo in it and don’t have to worry about function. If it doesn’t fire I can pull the hammer back and let it go again.
I also think lever actions have some sexy lines. Aesthetics are a big part. 10/22s are boring to me.

Fun options for a new .22LR?
Two thoughts (and neither one may count for much around here):
  1. 15-22 (We don't own one).
  2. .22LR conversion kit for a centerfire pistol you already own.
  3. ETA: Piss away far too much money on a much nicer target .22 pistol, or an Anschutz target rifle.

15-22 (We don't own one).
(Got a takedown 10/22; not sure we need a 15-22, although it's fine for other people).

The 15-22, Anschutz, and Nice Target Pistol suggestions are perhaps all
platforms that will allow you to piss away too much money on optics if you want.

The Anschutz will get you buying stupid-expensive target ammo.

The Nice Target Pistol could involve you in inter-club Bullseye competition.

Yet a different direction is to piss away money on steel targets like dueling trees, etc.
Which if you don't already have access to them, are possibly a gateway to more enjoyment -
either boiling life down to "hit vs. miss" as opposed to "what did I score on that paper target?",
or suckering you into the sport of steel action shooting.

The Double Nines were pretty inexpensive. I think Yankee Artifacts had one recently.

I like working the action and slowing down a bit versus loading mags and dumping them in the TCR. I like that the tube holds like 27 shorts and the action feeds them no problem. I like that I can shoot any 22 ammo in it and don’t have to worry about function. If it doesn’t fire I can pull the hammer back and let it go again.
I also think lever actions have some sexy lines. Aesthetics are a big part. 10/22s are boring to me.
Probably the only gun i sold and remind myself how stupid i was. Nice 39a , i sold it back in 2000 to fund the house and just never found another to replace it with.

Wait, was this discontinued or not? If so, why? There wasn't a recall or anything, was there?

If those Aguila high velocity rounds are being discontinued, I suspect that all that is being discontinued is that packaging. This is purely a guess, but recently we have been seeing that ammo in 500 round bulk packs instead of the 50 round boxes packed into bricks of 10. It would not surprise me if going forward, it was only available in the bulk packs.

I would be very surprised if they were discontinuing that ammo completely. It is a very popular product, and right now the market for it is nearly unlimited. If it is is really being discontinued, I suspect it will immediately be followed by a very similar product, presumably in new and attractive packaging.

If those Aguila high velocity rounds are being discontinued, I suspect that all that is being discontinued is that packaging. This is purely a guess, but recently we have been seeing that ammo in 500 round bulk packs instead of the 50 round boxes packed into bricks of 10. It would not surprise me if going forward, it was only available in the bulk packs.

I would be very surprised if they were discontinuing that ammo completely. It is a very popular product, and right now the market for it is nearly unlimited. If it is is really being discontinued, I suspect it will immediately be followed by a very similar product, presumably in new and attractive packaging.
Yeah I believe its just the packaging. As seen in my earlier posts, the new Aguila comes loose in a plastic bag inside a box. No more individual 50 round boxes.

... the new Aguila comes loose in a plastic bag inside a box.
Kewl!
Then you don't have to keep the box to satisfy Fire Marshall Bill.
4qr668.jpg

Yeah I believe its just the packaging. As seen in my earlier posts, the new Aguila comes loose in a plastic bag inside a box. No more individual 50 round boxes.
maybe they are going to thin out the choices of 3 or 4 "super extra" choices and 2 or 3 choices of the supermaximum?
I have not puchased Aguila in recent years but its always been pretty good over all foe the price.

Anyone need mini mags? Vendor has 500 round limit. $9.99 per 100 plus shipping. PM if interested.
Don’t know how long they’ll stay in stock.

maybe they are going to thin out the choices of 3 or 4 "super extra" choices and 2 or 3 choices of the supermaximum?
I have not puchased Aguila in recent years but its always been pretty good over all foe the price.

1)
I wish Remington would tighten up their line of .22LR as they start ramping up production again. The have too many similar choices.

Golden Bullet
CB
Yellow Jacket
Thunderbolt
Cyclone
Target
Subsonic
(Do they still make the "Viper"? Not seeing it.)

Am I missing any?

2)
Oh, and while I am at it, is the Yellow Jacket Remington's competition for CCI's Velocitor and Stinger?
2a) Which is better for hunting, Velocitor or Stinger?
2b) Then how does that compare to Yellow Jacket?
2c) Does Federal, Winchester, or Aguila make anything to compete with these?

3)
Finally, what would people here choose as the BEST choice of a .22LR to shoot a coyote? This would be as required for night hunting in Massachusetts.
Velocitor?
Stinger?
Yellow Jacket?
Viper?
something from Aguila?
other?
just saw this first time ever in my life right now:
Winchester S22LRFSP Varmint 22LR 47 GR HP
and this too:
Winchester .22 LR Wildcat Super Speed Ammo

Some interesting choices HERE, none of which were on my above list. ( Winchester Ammunition: 36 Grain LHP Xpert HV, Remington Ammunition: Subsonic 38 Grain JHP , Federal Ammunition: Champion 36 Grain CPHP )

Last edited:
1)
I wish Remington would tighten up their line of .22LR as they start ramping up production again. The have too many similar choices.

Golden Bullet
CB
Yellow Jacket
Thunderbolt
Cyclone
Target
Subsonic

Am I missing any?

2)
Oh, and while I am at it, is the Yellow Jacket Remington's competition for CCI's Velocitor and Stinger?

3)
Finally, what would people here choose as the BEST choice of a .22LR to shoot a coyote? This would be as required for night hunting in Massachusetts.
Velocitor?
Stinger?
Yellow Jacket?
Viper?
something from Aguila?
other?
and this too:

Some interesting choices HERE, none of which were on my above list. ( Winchester Ammunition: 36 Grain LHP Xpert HV, Remington Ammunition: Subsonic 38 Grain JHP , Federal Ammunition: Champion 36 Grain CPHP )

My preference for coyote 22LR (and let me give MA another rousing "f*** You" for that piece of regulatory nonsense) is one of the 40gr copper hollow points that are claiming over 1400 fps MV. I'm looking for the highest available energy with the heaviest bullet I can find. I've used these 3, so I'll use whichever one the rifle of the night shoots best.

CCI Velocitor
Aguila Interceptor
Winchester Super-X XHV22LR

I've been disappointed so many times in the last decade with Remington 22LR I don't even bother trying them anymore. So no, I wouldn't consider Yellow Jacket a contender.

So:
1: Just no.
2: It's competition for the Stinger.
2a: Hunting what, exactly? Coyote? Then Velocitor. Velocitor (or Interceptor, or XHV22LR) is my go-to for anything larger than a squirrel. For squirrel, whatever that rifle shoots most accurately and not necessarily hunting ammo. I've got a Savage MkII that loves CCI SV. Nothing wrong with Stinger class 22LR, but I don't like it for yotes, and the fast 40gr's do everything else I need except squirrel, so why make my 22LR Rifle/Ammo matrix more complicated?
2b: Maybe Remington has fixed their 22LR quality issues that I've seen. Maybe. Even if Yellow Jacket works fine, I'm still not seeing it as a substitute for 40gr/1400+fps.
2c: Winchester and Aguila

3. If I were going to pick one of the 3, Velocitor. Shoots well in my Mk2 and 10/22. The CZ452 likes the XHV22LR best, and the 62A feeds the Interceptor best.

I realize that this goes to the nit-picky level, but the 22LR is a marginal cartridge on coyote at best so I think that every possible advantage matters. I haven't been using the 22TCM in a Contender pistol long enough to connect with a coyote yet, but it's got a lot more velocity to play with at the expense of custom barrels, handloading and dealing with pistol scopes at night. I'm sorely tempted to put a red dot on it - might be easier.

1)

Golden Bullet
CB
Yellow Jacket
Thunderbolt
Cyclone
Target
Subsonic

Am I missing any?

2)

3)
Velocitor?
Stinger?
Yellow Jacket?
Viper?
something from Aguila?
other?
and this too:

the only difference in remington ammo is the box they used to sweep the rounds up and into.
I gave up on Rem 22lr back in early 90s.
Only decent stuff they ever had was just rebranded stuff like the rem Eley and their old green box match which IIRC was CCI green tag?

As for coyote? i would say the round and rifle that can deliver the best accuracy. Not a fan of 22lr on coyote. Especially at night unless your close range.
My friend likes to go coyote hunting hes been using the winchester 42 grain max stuff since it came out. He likes it and says a well placed shot drops them quickly . Growing up we shot them with 22lr SV stuff and if it was not a good head shot they would run off only to die slow death. Not a good thing.

Fun options for a new .22LR?
I have one. It's wicked fun. My son has a Stevens pump. More wicked fun. My daughter has a Remington 121. Triple wicked.

Not so sure I like that octagon barrel, or the sights. This would be for hunting, and maybe some plinking to tune up for the hunting.

Would prefer a slim round barrel, fiber optic front sight and either fiber optic rear sight or "peep" rear sight. Also would prefer curved stock, but straight might do.

I had forgotten that Remington Ammunition was sold to Vista (Federal, CCI, Speer etc.) last September. While I wouldn't hope for immediate process improvement on Remington's 22LR line in the middle of an ammo drought, perhaps Vista at some point in the future can unscrew that particular pooch. It wouldn't surprise me if they just kept trudging along, though. Why spend money when it sells anyway?

I had forgotten that Remington Ammunition was sold to Vista (Federal, CCI, Speer etc.) last September. While I wouldn't hope for immediate process improvement on Remington's 22LR line in the middle of an ammo drought, perhaps Vista at some point in the future can unscrew that particular pooch. It wouldn't surprise me if they just kept trudging along, though. Why spend money when it sells anyway?
Even if they wanted to make investments or process improvement,
they may lack the capability:

If it takes a damned long time to train a blue-collar worker
who is fresh off the street to become a Master Ammo Maker,
imagine how long it takes to train a white-collar worker
hired by the shell company to become a Master Ammo Maker Manager.

Since the Remington .22 ammo sells, I would assume they would just continue on the current course.

But if I was an executive at Vista, and I thought I could increase the quality on the Remington rimfire production lines, then I would rename the ammo and sell it under one of the other brand names. In my opinion, after more than a decade of mediocrity, the reputation of Remington .22 ammo is not salvageable. They would have to raise their game quite a bit to even be a good value as budget ammo.

Back
Top Bottom