• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What .22lr ammo groups best with a CMMG 22LR AR Conversion Kit?

paul73

NES Member
Barrels in ARs i got have an 1/8 twist. I know that is not optimal at all for a .22lr, it is not the point - i only ask here, if anyone went over this exercise before - what brand/speed .22lr ammo groups the best with a such twist - 16" barrel. I am setting it up for a second kid to be able to shoot together, do not want them to waste my reserves of .223 - but want them to be at least remotely competitive with one another as other rifle will be CZ MTR that is subMOA - it will suck and ruin family unity if AR will be doing a 6" spread while other one is nailing it into a same hole. :)
I do not want to buy a dedicated upper at this point, just want to get proper ammo. Right now most .22lr i have are CCI mini mags and aguila SE - all are in 1200fps.

You won't get good accuracy in a 223 AR with 22lr ammo. The bullet is smaller than the 223 round for one thing and the twist is wrong. I would not use anything but plated 22 in it but don't expect any kind of sub-MOA accuracy. Minimags are probably your best bet.

You won't get good accuracy in a 223 AR with 22lr ammo. The bullet is smaller than the 223 round for one thing and the twist is wrong. I would not use anything but plated 22 in it but don't expect any kind of sub-MOA accuracy. Minimags are probably your best bet.
i wonder if there would be any benefit of using hyperspeed ones.

awesome, so, the mini mag and velocitor are the winners. good to know.
a subsonic group seems also tight, but, one of them must have gone some other way. :)

a subsonic group seems also tight, but, one of them must have gone some other way. :)
I think there's a double in there on the subs. If you watch the video, the target vibrates a bit to indicate a hit.

The velocitor results are interesting for sure. I would stay away from the subs because I wouldn't want to lead the barrel since it could cause dangerous high pressures if you're using 223/556 in it as well. Be sure to check it good if you use lead before switching back.

Sub-sonic or what I assume is standard velocity, looks like it has the tightest group, it’s just not centered as I assume he didn’t re-zero for each specific round (I didn’t watch the video).

Sub-sonic or what I assume is standard velocity, looks like it has the tightest group, it’s just not centered as I assume he didn’t re-zero for each specific round (I didn’t watch the video).
i have some match grade and regular sub-sonic normas - can try them, but, they are pricey.
anyway, i think it would be interesting to try some velocitors, if i get any. i got well stoked now on blazers and mini-mags, about of 4K i think, or bit more, so, it should be sufficient.

Bet he lost count, dont want those sub sonics winning.

Bet he lost count, dont want those sub sonics winning.
i have some norma sunsonics, out of CZ they do make best groups. mini-mags are also ok, but norma is better. i think it is 960 or 860 something speed, way too slow to cycle my AA kit - does not even eject out

i have some norma sunsonics, out of CZ they do make best groups. mini-mags are also ok, but norma is better. i think it is 960 or 860 something speed, way too slow to cycle my AA kit - does not even eject out
That sucks that it wont cycle regular old fashioned 22lr

Back
Top Bottom