• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best .22LR for pistol on predator

OK, you are carrying a .22LR pistol or revolver, 3 inches or shorter barrel.

What ammunition would you want it to have, if you had to shoot a coyote? Let's say 25 yards or less. This is not a hunting thing, so hunting setups with rifles/shotguns is not relevant here. Basically, this is "personal protection" while walking.

Thinking penetration is as important as expansion here. Figure you can put at least 2 rounds into it.

Of COURSE, something bigger would likely be better, at least for stopping power, not so sure on accuracy, but that isn't the question here right now.

Here's some choices:

Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity 1,700 fps 30 grain COPPER PLATED SOLID POINT

CCI Velocitor Gold Dot HP 1435 fps Excellent weight retention Impressive downrange energy Deep penetration 200 fps faster than Long Rifle High Velocity

CCI Stinger 1640 fps 32 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point everything from casual plinking up to small game hunting

CCI Segmented Hollow Point 1640 fps 32 Grain For varmints, death comes in threes. Our Segmented Hollow-Point breaks into three parts on impact. Each one acts like its own projectile and creates a distinct wound channel to bring your target down hard. Impressive terminal effect Bullet breaks into three parts on impact Each segment creates its own wound channel

Federal Punch 1070 fps 29 grains Nickle Plated Lead Core FLat Nose Bullet

Remington Yellow Jacket 1500 FPS 33 grain Truncated Cone Hollow Point

Remington Viper Hyper Velocity 1410 fps 36 Grain Plated Truncated Cone solid bullet design delivers the highest penetration truncated cone bullet design is preferred by a lot of small game hunters and trappers because of its effectiveness in harvesting game without causing unnecessary damage

Winchester Hyper Speed 1435 fps 183 ft. lbs 40 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point extreme velocities and consistent accuracy 40 grain plated hollow point bullet produces excellent penetration on small game and pests

Now, take the same ammo above, and put it in a rifle. What would you choose to shoot a coyote if that gun was your only choice?

some related articles:

Last edited:
None of the above. CCI Stingers for me. 1640 fps from a rifle.

22lr is iffy for coyotes and more so from a 3" barrel. Another factor is the potentially larger size of coyotes here. Regardless it should be a good deterrent if only for the noise.

Thanks for that.

Yes, Velocitor seems to win for all the regular stuff, with Stinger taking a second, maybe first with the short barrels, but like you said, less important on penetration maybe. Also need to keep in mind Stinger doesn't necessarily work in every gun.

Finally, they left out the Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity in that test/list.

Thanks for that.

Yes, Velocitor seems to win for all the regular stuff, with Stinger taking a second, maybe first with the short barrels, but like you said, less important on penetration maybe. Also need to keep in mind Stinger doesn't necessarily work in every gun.

Finally, they left out the Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity in that test/list.
Yeah, while I'd expect it to perform like Stinger, more or less, it's even less mass.

I wish they would do a subsonic .22 Magnum.

Just put an oversized bullet on a shorter case like they do with the .22 suppressed; to get some more mass downrange, but still at "neighborhood quiet" noise levels.

Imagine this, but on maybe a .22LR length case, to fit a .22 Mag:

1667147758242.png

That, or figure out a way to do a subsonic .22 Hornet or a subsonic .223 (over-mass bullet, with fast burning light powder load).

Maybe that would be a good idea for a new cartridge. Call it the ".22 Neighborhood". Have it based on the parent case that is the .17 WSM, but with an oversized .22 bullet, and again, light charge of fast burning powder.

OK, you are carrying a .22LR pistol or revolver, 3 inches or shorter barrel.

What ammunition would you want it to have, if you had to shoot a coyote? Let's say 25 yards or less. This is not a hunting thing, so hunting setups with rifles/shotguns is not relevant here. Basically, this is "personal protection" while walking.

Thinking penetration is as important as expansion here. Figure you can put at least 2 rounds into it.

Of COURSE, something bigger would likely be better, at least for stopping power, not so sure on accuracy, but that isn't the question here right now.

Here's some choices:
CCI Velocitor Gold Dot HP 1435 fps Excellent weight retention Impressive downrange energy Deep penetration 200 fps faster than Long Rifle High Velocity

Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity 30 grain COPPER PLATED SOLID POINT 1,700 fps

Remington Yellow Jacket
33gr Truncated Cone Hollow Point 1500 FPS

Remington Viper Hyper Velocity
22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Truncated Cone solid bullet design delivers the highest penetration truncated cone bullet design is preferred by a lot of small game hunters and trappers because of its effectiveness in harvesting game without causing unnecessary damage 1410 fps

Winchester Hyper Speed
22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point extreme velocities and consistent accuracy 40 grain plated hollow point bullet produces excellent penetration on small game and pests

CCI Stinger .22LR Copper Plated Hollow Point 32 Grain everything from casual plinking up to small game hunting 1640 fps

Now, take the same ammo above, and put it in a rifle. What would you choose to shoot a coyote if that gun was your only choice?

some related articles:
Just remember unless velocities are stated on the box the stated velocities are from 24” test barrels. The box sometimes will say velocity out if XYZ long barrels is ABC velocity
Somewhere on NES I posted the email from CCI stating this.
So as far as 22lr goes I would use what ever you can hit a 5” plate at 25?yards with out of a 3” revolver.
You will be lucky if a coyote presents a larger target to you at that distance if you can see them.

In wide open situation eh .

Coyote pass through my yard everyday with little care if Im around. They pass through like they are on a mission.

Federal Punch is designed for personal protection. 1070 ft/s out of a 3 inch barrel.

A guy on YT called Tools & Targets tests them regularly against other 22lr ammo in gel. Nothing has beat it yet for penetration. 29 grain projectile.

Lucky Gunner did a good ballistics test on pocket pistol calibers. One of my biggest take-aways is that there's a significant difference in ballistics between the 2" and 4" barrels when it comes to both penetration and expansions, where a lot of the hollow points don't even expand with 2" barrels. 32 grain CCI Stingers seemed to be the best for overall expansion, but only out of a 4" barrel. Whereas Winchester 37 grain varmint had less expansion, but seemed to expand regardless of barrel size.

Had the Ruger LCRx 3-inch .22lr at the range tonight with the Aguila SuperMaximum and CCI Stinger.

CCI ABSOLUTELY blew the Aguila SuperMax away by leaps and bounds on accuracy.

My take: Even a .22LR will be more useful if your POA and your POI are in the same place... Faster is not BETTER.

~Enbloc

What was Reagan shot with? I want those
Devastator rounds

I’ ve never used the segmented ones from CCI but that’s another option that may increase odds of hitting something vital

And Sinterfire for same idea but not in 22:

Last edited:
Devastator rounds

I’ ve never used the segmented ones from CCI but that’s another option that may increase odds of hitting something vital

Might like to try these. Anybody else in central MA want to try these if I were to go for this deal?:
FREE SHIPPING WITH ORDERS OVER $99
(That would be 10 boxes at $9.99. I'd be willing to split this up among a couple of us. Three ways is 33 bucks for 3 boxes. Just need 2 nearby, or some other combo.)

Last edited:
Devestator rounds

KAG Arms in Littleton has them for $9

I've seen them at Cabelas too....but same price as if you ordered online.

Target Sports has them too:

Look up at - BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results

I'd say Velocitor is the best choice, based on that, with Stinger second though its lower mass makes it less interesting to me as a round for predator.
Federal Punch is designed for personal protection. 1070 ft/s out of a 3 inch barrel.

A guy on YT called Tools & Targets tests them regularly against other 22lr ammo in gel. Nothing has beat it yet for penetration. 29 grain projectile.
Lucky Gunner did a good ballistics test on pocket pistol calibers. One of my biggest take-aways is that there's a significant difference in ballistics between the 2" and 4" barrels when it comes to both penetration and expansions, where a lot of the hollow points don't even expand with 2" barrels. 32 grain CCI Stingers seemed to be the best for overall expansion, but only out of a 4" barrel. Whereas Winchester 37 grain varmint had less expansion, but seemed to expand regardless of barrel size.

Devastator rounds

Unfortunately, the "Punch" and the CCI "SHP" (segmented) did not make it into any of these tests.

It would be interesting to see how they compared.

Last edited:
KAG Arms in Littleton has them for $9
They weren't open on Saturday when I finally found their location in the building.

Note: That place needs a better (or any) directory and map, and hours. Maybe directory, map, hours, and phone number, so you can call them if you get lost.

You still waiting to win that wrangler aren’t you? 😂
No idea what you're talking about here.

Screenshot_20221114-205437.png
1070 FPS. Out of a 2 inch barrel. It's self-defense 22lr made for pistols. If you can find it let me know because I've never seen it in the store

Back
Top Bottom