• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Had a great time. Thanks to Shawn for the use of his garage and Mike for organizing it. Good to see Goose again and meeting new friends. Today dug out my old Lyman furnace and it still works. Found some old Telephone company lead sheathing I had stashed behind the garage and a bucket of wheel weights I got from a garage that closed. Long distance award goes to the gentleman who drove up from North Carolina for this event.
There we go. That’s what I like to see!
I’m off this week and yesterday really got my blood pumping to make some bullets. I would have spent the day casting but opted to organize the cellar work room and making a new firing pin for an old 32 lemon squeezer.
I’ll be in the shop making smoke tomorrow if all goes well. I hope you will be casting too.
Did you slug your bores?

I had a really great time. Thanks to Mike and Shawn for putting this together. Every year I learn more. It is truly a privilege to be in the presence of so much knowledge and experience .Of course a tip of the hat to Bill for his insights. He has probably forgotten more then I will ever know. Great job all.
Goose thank you as always for giving us a little peak into history. Your knowledge, rifles collection and ability to make cases from nothing are all awesome additions to the event. You’re making me want to buy an old carbine. I’m keeping my eyes open for rimfires that could be converted over to centerfire now

Nice! that box of lead you picked up if alloyed together would have gave you a "faux Lyman #2" if water dropped give you 15-18 hardness. Although a bit of a waste of tin IMHO.

Mac thanks again for the lead. You really need to try to make it next time. You need to try some Hi-Tek already. I’ve got some extra if you want to meet up I’ll give it to you.

There we go. That’s what I like to see!
I’m off this week and yesterday really got my blood pumping to make some bullets. I would have spent the day casting but opted to organize the cellar work room and making a new firing pin for an old 32 lemon squeezer.
I’ll be in the shop making smoke tomorrow if all goes well. I hope you will be casting too.
Did you slug your bores?

Goose thank you as always for giving us a little peak into history. Your knowledge, rifles collection and ability to make cases from nothing are all awesome additions to the event. You’re making me want to buy an old carbine. I’m keeping my eyes open for rimfires that could be converted over to centerfire now

Mac thanks again for the lead. You really need to try to make it next time. You need to try some Hi-Tek already. I’ve got some extra if you want to meet up I’ll give it to you.
maybe when I run out of bullet lube or find space for a bottle of the stuff!

A few pics from the seminar

My second year attending and still had plenty to learn and a great time hanging out with interesting people

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_105717544.jpg
    IMG_20181014_105717544.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20181014_125605596.jpg
    IMG_20181014_125605596.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20181014_105401789.jpg
    IMG_20181014_105401789.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20181014_110830181.jpg
    IMG_20181014_110830181.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20181014_132046160.jpg
    IMG_20181014_132046160.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 25
Any results guys?

I’m hoping to cast up some 32s from a nice old mould that 1919FAN let me borrow.
Perfect match to my 32 lemon squeezer.

Has anyone tried casting or coating for the first time?

I went to shooting supply a couple days after the seminar and picked up 2 new lee Moulds.

I’ve been smelting some wheel weights and adding a little pewter to my pots once they’ve been skimmed/fluxed and seem to be getting much better fillout in my muffin pans. I’ve also been ‘smoking’ my ingot ‘lead muffin’ pans before pouring and that seems to be helping release the ingots a little better than they were before. I’m loading up on the ingots for ‘cold weather’ day activists of casting with my new mounds once they arrive. Ordered a 6 cavity .312 lee 155gr that should work real well in my Arisaka, M39’s, Ak’s and antique Schmidt Rubin.

I’ve been smelting some wheel weights and adding a little pewter to my pots once they’ve been skimmed/fluxed and seem to be getting much better fillout in my muffin pans. I’ve also been ‘smoking’ my ingot ‘lead muffin’ pans before pouring and that seems to be helping release the ingots a little better than they were before. I’m loading up on the ingots for ‘cold weather’ day activists of casting with my new mounds once they arrive. Ordered a 6 cavity .312 lee 155gr that should work real well in my Arisaka, M39’s, Ak’s and antique Schmidt Rubin.

Nice! Are they new muffin pans? Usually the non stick ones suck until the coating is all cooled off and they start to rust.
I use that in my 300 blackout and it proved to be the most accurate of all the cast bullets I’ve tried yet.
I think hi-tek with a gas check was the most promising load.

Keep your eye open for antigue and junk stores. Also resteraunt equipment supply stores. ASK if they have any used pans. Also church yardsales are still a good source of nice cast iron pots and pans.
I found nice comercial grade aluminum muffin pans that dont rust and dont stick.

Nice! Are they new muffin pans? Usually the non stick ones suck until the coating is all cooled off and they start to rust.
I use that in my 300 blackout and it proved to be the most accurate of all the cast bullets I’ve tried yet.
I think hi-tek with a gas check was the most promising load.

I got them off some old crazy lady in Worcester that probably got them from a bakery of some sort. They were VERY seasoned and actually had layers of caked on black cooked down grease on them. Perfect for releasing muffins, but not so much for ingots. After a few ugly ingots, the layers came right off the pan and it was down to bare metal...now the mold smoking does its magic. I just put the muffin pans over my fire after I throw a few fresh logs on and it smokes 'em up real good. I've had real good luck with release since I started doing that and have made some REALLY pretty ingots! Too pretty to cast? Almost...but not quite.

IMG_1427.jpg IMG_1428.jpg

That window goes right to my reloading nook in my basement, so it's easiest for me to just store them in there. I just open the window and stack them on the shelf right next to it. I have one more bucket of wheel weights to get through before I'm done my current stash, but I think I have enough to shoot for a year or two when supplemented with my 'bought bullets'. After I get home from drill this weekend, I'm going to use some of that Hi-Tek! I'm going to try the two coat, then size, then final coat method and see how that works for me.

I really can't say enough about the seminar and how much I learned. I don't think I've been this excited to delve into a new sub-sect of the hobby since I started reloading.

I've had real good luck with release since I started doing that and have made some REALLY pretty ingots! Too pretty to cast? Almost...but not quite.

View attachment 251424 View attachment 251425

I really can't say enough about the seminar and how much I learned. I don't think I've been this excited to delve into a new sub-sect of the hobby since I started reloading.

I think those may actually be too pretty to cast...very nice !!!

I have yet to take the casting plunge...been thinking more about settling on an area to cast more than the tools I need to get started. May take a visit to shooting supply and browse the Lee offerings for some inspiration.

I got them off some old crazy lady in Worcester that probably got them from a bakery of some sort. They were VERY seasoned and actually had layers of caked on black cooked down grease on them. Perfect for releasing muffins, but not so much for ingots. After a few ugly ingots, the layers came right off the pan and it was down to bare metal...now the mold smoking does its magic. I just put the muffin pans over my fire after I throw a few fresh logs on and it smokes 'em up real good. I've had real good luck with release since I started doing that and have made some REALLY pretty ingots! Too pretty to cast? Almost...but not quite.

View attachment 251424 View attachment 251425

That window goes right to my reloading nook in my basement, so it's easiest for me to just store them in there. I just open the window and stack them on the shelf right next to it. I have one more bucket of wheel weights to get through before I'm done my current stash, but I think I have enough to shoot for a year or two when supplemented with my 'bought bullets'. After I get home from drill this weekend, I'm going to use some of that Hi-Tek! I'm going to try the two coat, then size, then final coat method and see how that works for me.

That’s awesome man. I’m glad to hear it. Wait till the next election scare when you can’t find any 9 bullets on the shelves and you’re happily making your own.

I think those may actually be too pretty to cast...very nice !!!

I have yet to take the casting plunge...been thinking more about settling on an area to cast more than the tools I need to get started. May take a visit to shooting supply and browse the Lee offerings for some inspiration.

Jump in man! Just set up a couple saw horses and a plank. Casting doesn’t need to be pretty.
I cast in a bulkhead with removable steps. Popped out the first 4 steps. Set the pot on the 5th. Opened one door and set Up under the other.
Don’t get analysis paralysis.

A quick start set up is a small Colman grill and a old pan. Not efficient but works. Then just keep your eyes out for a used turkey fryer at yard sales or right after thanks giving watch for clearance sales where turkey fryers are sold.

I snagged mine for $20 with a 3/4 full tank.

Not yet, other reloading priorities. I need to order some powder. I did finish prepping some cases. What did you use for a load?

I like 3.5 grains of BULLSEYE Seems to shoot well for me. 10/10 on the 200 yard 16” steel with irons and elbow rest.
Good enough for me.

Last edited:
I like 3.5 grains of BULLSEYE Seems to shoot well for me. 10/10 on the 200 yard 16” steel with irons and elbow rest.
Good enough for me.
Finally got around to loading some this afternoon. I used 3.6 gr of Bullseye and separately loaded some with 7.9 gr of 2400 (both ends of the spectrum). I wasn't really happy with how low the powder levels were with an OAL of ~1.54 (recall, I wanted the longer rds. for shooting myy Henry). I may make a few at the second crimp groove as well. I hope to get out in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom