• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023 Cast Bullet Seminar!!!

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
It’s time for hot lead again!!

As always, This is the perfect time to learn to cast bullets. Don’t rely on the local shop and don’t wait weeks and weeks for your bullet order to show. This is a great way to spend less on your bullets and more on your primers and powder. You won’t save money but you’ll shoot a lot more for the same amount.

Please please please ask if you are on the fence about this. There is a lot of misinformation out there that is perpetuated by poorly sized commercial bullets, poorly informed FUDDs/Tactical Timmies and poorly loaded commercial ammo.

If you’re a pistol shooter this will handle pretty much anything you load. If you’re a magnum rifle shooter you can load reduced and get trigger time at a fraction of the cost and recoil. If you’re shooting regular rifle loads you might be pretty impressed with what a gas checked Bullet can do.
Old rifles? Mil surps? Obsolete? There’s no better fit than a cast Bullet.

We have the same commercial coating available to us that the big casting companies use. We have more sizing options/gas checks/ bullet designs/hollow bases/hollow points/ than you're going to find at all the manufacturers added together. If you shoot there's a cast bullet for you.

Cost $35 Via PayPal friends and family. [email protected]
Please put your full name and your NES handle in the notes.
This $35 gets you damn close to 100 years of bullet casting experience, breakfast, lunch and all the bullets you can cast while you're at the event.

If you have a firearm that you want to bring to slug the bore to see what size bullet you need to use please bring it with you. NO LIVE AMMO

If you have an odd cartridge or you're set on making a specific bullet please ask ahead of time and we can try to get the mould you need. If you know you shoot a ton of 38 and want the best wadcutter for the job just let us know. If you're dying to get your granddad's 351 WSL up and running let us know.

This is also a discussion thread! Please ask questions. If you're on the fence but have heard horror stories about casting please ask all of your questions here. If you don't think it will work for your firearms or style of shooting please ask here. If you don't think they have the performance needed please ask here. If you're worried about cost of startup or savings over time please ask here. If you're worried about health hazards please ask here.
This is a very rewarding hobby that can drop the cost of your reloading significantly and allow you to be the guy that shows up at the range with 1000 rounds to blow through every week.

If you wanna argue about how cast bullets are useless and have zero performance or how lead will kill you by seeping through your pores into your brain please post here so we can laugh at you. ;)

Lots of info here from guys like @pastera @Artie@BFDX7 @ffej ruedorb That cut their teeth at the seminar and guys like @1919FAN and @mac1911that have been casting since the mold tappers were made of dinosaur femurs. All who have been major contributors to the knowledge base on the forum.
You can see some info on just about all aspects of casting/loading in this thread. From ARs to shotguns and everything in between. Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Date mid to late October 2023.

8:00 - 8:30 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants. Donuts and Coffee
9:30 - Workshop begins
9:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 3:30 - Second Round of mini workshops

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Smelting
Fluxing
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Hi-Tek Coating
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources

We will discuss each section and move at the rate of the class answering the questions and as soon as any eyes start to glaze over we're off to the race casting and coating/sizing lubing/slugging

Last year we had a lot of people want to spend time on smelting and reclaiming lead. I will score some wheel weights to process so we can see how it’s done but if eyes start to glaze over we will get through it fast.

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar

Presenters:
@38ExtraSpecial
@pastera

Attendees
@ddeck22 PAID
@RadMabbit PAID
@Jenska22 PAID
@Mike4MSU PAID
@yanquidog +1 PAID
@sgeary PAID
@BillT113 KARMA
@Artie PAID
@Jay77 +1 PAID
@Ckourafas PAID
R BUCKLEY PAID

Last edited:
Cast bullets are low cost junk range fodder you say? Blasphemer!

Is that the new whiz bang Hornady TCTFTTM
(Teflon coated, titanium flavored, tactical Timmy magnum) bullet?

Nope it’s the lowly cast, coated hollow point!! But I thought that type of performance only came from Uber expensive ammo that only the YouTubers can afford? Wrong again! 5442C6E0-F104-45DF-AC84-669FE9B00402.jpeg A4F12CFE-1AE9-4026-B5F1-F98FBB15D0A1.jpeg

How about the shotgun guys on here? Buckshot loads for a quarter a pop anyone?
Low recoil loads that perform just as good or better than the Federal 9 pellet for a fraction of the price.

B02CD6CC-9E1E-4441-9EDB-D11FEF8EF527.jpeg

It's a great NES event and you won't be sorry you go for sure.
Lots to learn and of course NES folks are great.
I'd like to go but the date could be an issue as I have family commitments in that October time frame. So I'll have to get back to this later.

In.

Paid.

I have some wheel weights that were given to me that I will bring. Also, if I can use some different .452 molds to try them out, that would be helpful. Maybe make like 20-30 boolits from a couple different molds and then see if that mold works for me before buying one like it.

Thanks

In.

Paid.

I have some wheel weights that were given to me that I will bring. Also, if I can use some different .452 molds to try them out, that would be helpful. Maybe make like 20-30 boolits from a couple different molds and then see if that mold works for me before buying one like it.

Thanks
First one in. You get to where the cast bullet crown for the day. It’s pretty heavy, but you hung around with this before so that proves you have strong shoulders.

I’ll bring my MP 454–200. It’s an awesome mold and everyone seems to love it.

In.

Paid.

Thanks
I have a Lee 452-255-RF that I can bring. Rhere are always so many molds in different calibers but other molds I can bring too if there is interest:
Lee 356-125-2R
Lee 356-120-TC
Lee 309-170-F
Lee 312-155-2R
Lee Round Ball .451 ~137gr
MP 8mm .326 183gr

How about paper patching for your favorite buffalo gun or paper patching some cast .308 so you can push them stoopid fast?
No lube. No smoke. No leading. Also you look like Tom Selleck when you head to range and all the ladies will throw themselves at you when you pop out the 45 2 7/8 case sporting a 550 grain paper patch bullet! Like I said no need for lube. 03B67656-9A19-4C77-8E5D-A3984AF6FFCE.jpeg

Bump

Last week I found an old propane tank on the side of the road, perfect for a smelting pot that i will donate to the seminar.
-Hooked up an old regulator to make sure there wasn't any gas left and opened the side screw on the shutoff to piss off anything else.
-Beat the shutoff with a hammer to loosen it. They seal it with a blue Loctite-like thread sealant. Removed the shutoff the rest of the way with a plumber pipe wrench.
-Filled it to the top with water to push any gas out and then washed and rinsed with Dawn to remove any residual gas, left filled up overnight to ensure all gas is out.
-Drained water this morning, still has the stink they add to the propane. Lit a match and placed it at the opening to see if it lights up. Nope, still got my hair.
-Prepared to cut with bi-metal Sawzall blade. Use your PPE, glasses and gloves. I cut right above the seam and that will give you a nice double edge
-Also cut a ~3in ring for a stabilizer and wind screen
-Cleaned up the edges with a grinder and ready for donation.
Aint the prettiest i have done but it will get the job done.
Regulator.JPG Regulator Screw.JPG Wash with Soap.JPG 2nd Wash and Rinse.JPG Drain and Degas 24hrs.JPG Cutting the Tank.JPG Tank Seam.JPG Tank Halfed.JPG 3in Flame Guard Stabilizer.JPG Grind Edges and Final.JPG

Bump

Last week I found an old propane tank on the side of the road, perfect for a smelting pot that i will donate to the seminar.
-Hooked up an old regulator to make sure there wasn't any gas left and opened the side screw on the shutoff to piss off anything else.
-Beat the shutoff with a hammer to loosen it. They seal it with a blue Loctite-like thread sealant. Removed the shutoff the rest of the way with a plumber pipe wrench.
-Filled it to the top with water to push any gas out and then washed and rinsed with Dawn to remove any residual gas, left filled up overnight to ensure all gas is out.
-Drained water this morning, still has the stink they add to the propane. Lit a match and placed it at the opening to see if it lights up. Nope, still got my hair.
-Prepared to cut with bi-metal Sawzall blade. Use your PPE, glasses and gloves. I cut right above the seam and that will give you a nice double edge
View attachment 764597View attachment 764598View attachment 764599View attachment 764600View attachment 764601View attachment 764602View attachment 764603View attachment 764604View attachment 764605View attachment 764606
Nice work!! That thing looks sweet

Bump

Are these that popular? I may be able to grab a few locally. Would anyone want them as-is, I won't have time to cut them up.

Are these that popular? I may be able to grab a few locally. Would anyone want them as-is, I won't have time to cut them up.
That is how I smelt. Others use cast pots. It was logical for me in the beginning as i had the tools and had the tank.

That is cool of you to offer, hopefully someone takes you up on it.

Bump

View attachment 764597View attachment 764598View attachment 764599View attachment 764600View attachment 764601View attachment 764602View attachment 764603View attachment 764604View attachment 764605View attachment 764606
I have two that I'm preparing for the seminar.
Have a third but it's about 1/4 full and I don't have an old propane fitting to use it up.

Here's a short cut to getting them on your own. Tanks have a 'fixed' lifetime and cannot be refilled after that expires without recertification. So your local re-filling station (Taylor Rental, etc) may have some 'expired' tanks on the weekends. When you take your tank to be refilled (late saturday), just ask for one. Tell them you'll swap it for a blue rhino tank and they may just give it to you. The swap companies routinely re-certify their tanks as a way to keep costs down. And if you didn't already know, those tanks are only about 3/4 filled due to transportation regulations, so you're paying big time for the convenience of not waiting 10 minutes for a fill-up. This is also a good way to get a spare tank or two for a few bucks. Get a junk tank and take it to Home Depot or a swap station and you end up with a usable tank with (some) gas for $20-30 instead of an empty new one for $50-60. After that you can take it to your local filling station until its certification expires again. (repeat as needed)

Here's a short cut to getting them on your own. Tanks have a 'fixed' lifetime and cannot be refilled after that expires without recertification. So your local re-filling station (Taylor Rental, etc) may have some 'expired' tanks on the weekends. When you take your tank to be refilled (late saturday), just ask for one. Tell them you'll swap it for a blue rhino tank and they may just give it to you. The swap companies routinely re-certify their tanks as a way to keep costs down. And if you didn't already know, those tanks are only about 3/4 filled due to transportation regulations, so you're paying big time for the convenience of not waiting 10 minutes for a fill-up. This is also a good way to get a spare tank or two for a few bucks. Get a junk tank and take it to Home Depot or a swap station and you end up with a usable tank with (some) gas for $20-30 instead of an empty new one for $50-60. After that you can take it to your local filling station until its certification expires again. (repeat as needed)
That's what I do periodically.
The date is stamped on them.
For $20 bucks your getting an in date tank plus the gas.
I found a small supply of out of date ones at work where employees leave them for scrap.

tanks as a way to keep costs down. And if you didn't already know, those tanks are only about 3/4 filled due to transportation regulations, so you're paying big time for the convenience of not waiting 10 minutes for a
Also profit maximiztion.

Blue Rhino had no shipping problems with their 17lb fills of 20lb tanks. however. they reduced the fill to 15lbs as a shrinkflation exercise. The settles a class action case since it was alleged they did not do enough to let the consumer know they were purchasing a smaller fill (I got $8).

Coming in fast!

Here’s a couple hours of casting and 20 minutes of sizing.

Enough 38 to feed my 1873 for a few range trips and it cost me less than a box of 9mm in scrap lead and bullet lube.
I’ve pushed these soft lead bullets with full bore 357 mag loads out of an 18” barrel with zero leading. A couple hundred at a whack. So they look good and they perform.

IMG_2521.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom