• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Back for another year.
Sunday October 14th

Please post questions here. Not sure casting is right for you? Have you hear it's dangerous and unhealthy? Worried about return on investment? What does it cost to get started?
Ask it all here.

Donations:
Donnie Miculek of the famed Miculek family is donating Hi-Tek coating samples for each attendee.
Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings

Glenn Larson from White Label Lubes is donating traditional lube sticks also. Top notch products
Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Attendees

BillNed PAID
The Goose PAID
Armory1903 PAID
EvilDragon PAID
manny dog PAID
EddieZoom PAID
MaverickNH PAID
Pastera PAID
Dana_15 PAID
Mike Manning PAID
KnobCreek PAID
Dakar652 PAID
jek PAID

Location: Fairhaven, MA. Adress to be provided upon receipt of payment.

Door Prizes
Various casting tools and materials.

Required equipment for participation
Safety glasses or face shield
Work gloves
Close-toed Shoes/boots

Do not count on there being extra safety gear for you to borrow.

Wear clothes you wouldn't mind getting dirty. This is molten lead, after all.

Recommended to bring
Folding Chair
note taking materials/ clip board
Barrels, cylinders, and/or guns that you want to shoot cast boolits in** so we can slug the bore/cylinder throats
Long pants & sleeves

**please provide a heads up on this so we can have the appropriate sizes ready

Schedule
8:00 - 8:30 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants - Please try to be on time.
9:30 - Workshop begins
9:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 3:30 - Second Round of mini workshops

This year we are going to split into two main sessions and try to spend way less time on smelting and more time on casting/coating/paper patch etc.
If the smelting session runs long then I will continue to smelt and 1919FAN will continue with the good stuff while I pour some ingots for everyone. Anyone who wants to pour some ingots can do try it but I know we all want to spend more time casting.

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Fluxing
Smelting
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Common Problems and Solutions
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources
And more

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar.

Instructors:
Michael J. Spangler
1919FAN

Attendance Cap: 24

Participants are no longer required to bring your own lead.

$30 participation to be prepaid to Michael J. Spangler via paypal/cash/check/MO
[email protected]

THAT $30 GETS YOU...
Tons of Knowledge
whatever you cast during the seminar
Roughly 20#of smelted, ready to cast lead @ current market value (approx. $1/lb)
Food: coffee, donuts, sandwich, chips, drink, etc

Attendees: Let us know what caliber you are most interested in casting so we have enough molds ready. The intent here is to send everyone home with bullets they can shoot. We recommend to pick a caliber that is cast-bullet friendly. Some suggestions: 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 45-70.... If you have something in mind and aren't sure about it, don't hesitate to ask.

required for casting/smelting: glasses/goggles, face shield, long gloves (welding or fireplace) gloves, long pants, close toed shoes

Last edited:
What does it cost to get started?

$80 Lee bottom pour lead melting furnace
$20 Lee 2 Cavity Mould
$16 Lee sizing die
$5 Lee alox

For that small investment you're making your own cast lead bullets and not relying on what the local store has in stock.

for an additional
$20 toaster oven
$10 acetone
$12 Hi-Tek coating

You can make bullets with the same coating that all of big casting companies use that run just like a plated bullet.

Spend $50 on a 6 cavity mould with handles and you're cranking out about 18 bullets per minute.

You can have your investment paid off by the time you cast about 3000 bullets.

Can we cover 5.45x39? Especially subsonic 80gr? Now a relevant cartridge for me.
I have have experience with that cartridge but I’m sure we can figure it out. Subsonic should be very easy to do. What gun is this for? That will help figure out how we have to attack it.

First-timer here. Standards for me - .308 for a Krag and an 03A3, and 9mm that will cycle through a semi-auto.

Could also get into 7.7 Arisaka, or 7.65 Argentine. I understand if this is a bridge too far for a one day class, though.

Oddball if anyone's up for it - I'd like to get my .58 cal P53 Enfield rifle-musket running again if anyone's got some minie ball molds.....

Fyi, I like milsurp [smile]

I have have experience with that cartridge but I’m sure we can figure it out. Subsonic should be very easy to do. What gun is this for? That will help figure out how we have to attack it.
It's for an AKS-74U. The bullet is supposed to have a .222 diameter (.001 more than the .221 of the 5.45) and a weight of 80 (or thereabout) grains. Most people today just size down a .223 bullet.

First-timer here. Standards for me - .308 for a Krag and an 03A3, and 9mm that will cycle through a semi-auto.

Could also get into 7.7 Arisaka, or 7.65 Argentine. I understand if this is a bridge too far for a one day class, though.

Oddball if anyone's up for it - I'd like to get my .58 cal P53 Enfield rifle-musket running again if anyone's got some minie ball molds.....

Your rifles are all bolt guns so you can load some nice bunny fart loads that will work with any alloy. Nice slow moving heavy for caliber bullets make for more than sufficient hunting loads and fun paper punchers.
That applies to all of those cartridges.
Now step up to harder alloy. Gas checks. Possibly paper patching and you’re looking at very high velocity with decently accuracy.
As far as the 9 that’s easy beans. There are a couple pitfalls that we can work around and you will be blasting 9 all day long for next to nothing.
I was shooting 9 this morning with all cast loads. Works great.

As far as the 58 Minnie let’s see if anyone else on this thread has a mould that they can bring to play with.
Looks like lee makes a few variations of the 58 Minnie too. Shooting Supply in Westport should have these Moulds on hand.
Probably $20 for the mould with handles and you’re in business.

It's for an AKS-74U. The bullet is supposed to have a .222 diameter (.001 more than the .221 of the 5.45) and a weight of 80 (or thereabout) grains. Most people today just size down a .223 bullet.

Is this rifle meant to run on subsonics?
I run 300 blackout subs in my AR but I have an adjustable gas block and I’m shooting 200 grain bullets.
I’m just trying to figure if that bullet is heavy enough to reliably cycle the rifle with loads that are within the capabilities of cast.

I think I have the lee 223-55 flat point mould at home. It’s a gas check version. Cast hard. Gas checked and coated with hi-tek is just about the best way to attack that. Unless the rifle reliably cycles with heavy for caliber subsonic loads.

Trouble is finding a heavyfor caliber 223 mould over the counter.

1919FAN do you have any heavy 223 Moulds?

Yes, there is a subsonic round 7U1 that it's meant to run, it will cycle reliably with the 80 grain. It's not made anymore, I'm trying to recreate it via reloads.
Awesome try to locate a mould between now and then and I'll ask around too.

Definitely like to look at something that might hold up in service rifle matches.
If you show up and shoot a heavy for caliber bullet with 13 grains of red dot you will clean up at the matches. As long as they don't have a velocity requirement. It's like cheating they shoot so well.
If you want full bore loads they take a little more tweaking to get there but you can get great results

Yes, there is a subsonic round 7U1 that it's meant to run, it will cycle reliably with the 80 grain. It's not made anymore, I'm trying to recreate it via reloads.
Looks like NOE has some nice heavy for caliber moulds.
.224, NOE Bullet Moulds

How long is the neck on that cartridge? Maybe look at a bullet with a shorter base and longer nose. So you can seat it so the base isn't in below the case neck.
Do you have a pic of a piece of brass? I'm curious now.

Here are the cases:
download_115.jpg

The 7.7 is the same as the .312 bullet I have that mold and will bring it with me.

Definitely like to look at something that might hold up in service rifle matches.
I run cast in just about everything you mentioned for cmp games to 200 yards. 03a3 with 165 flat nose running 1600fps-ish will clean targets when If I hold the 10 ring.

I have a cast load for the M1 garand that will cycle I just have not found much accuracy yet. 5moa ish so far

Now can I bring a single-stage press to the workshop so I can size the bullets and try out a reload? I can come early/stay late for that part. Really eager to get some 5.45 going.

I can’t see why not.
We should have a press or two mounted there anyway for sizing bullets.
Just bring the dies along.

Awesome!

How about some more attendees? Anyone else looking to learn how to shoot for 1/10 the price?
If you're not sure if it's for you voice your concerns and see what the pros have to say. We have plenty of experienced guys here.
Think it's too expensive to start out? You can be casting for about $50 if you're frugal and crafty.

I’ve got 2 x 5gal buckets of wheel weights from Tire Warehouse to bring if OK. Last batch I cooked drifted to the neighbors and they came out coughing and looking a bit miffed... Winds shifted ;-)

I’m shooting a 50cal Muzzleloader and might like to try try casting something like T/C Maxi Ball 320gn bullets with lube. Has anyone ever put Bayoo Bullets coatings on Muzzleloader bullets before? Might be time to try!

I’ve got 2 x 5gal buckets of wheel weights from Tire Warehouse to bring if OK. Last batch I cooked drifted to the neighbors and they came out coughing and looking a bit miffed... Winds shifted ;-)

I’m shooting a 50cal Muzzleloader and might like to try try casting something like T/C Maxi Ball 320gn bullets with lube. Has anyone ever put Bayoo Bullets coatings on Muzzleloader bullets before? Might be time to try!
Hmmm. That’s a great idea. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Back
Top Bottom