2016 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

My five year old caught this guy this morning.
Your five year old is a better fisherman than I. Congrats!

Here's my first of the year.
6a1af40879560c598a3f927d35bb05f3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Caught a few small bluefish this morning. Here's one of them...

I got in to some Blues in Ri this weekend as well.I was surprised to see them in the Breechways already. Also hit the stripers Pretty good no keepers but even the schoolies are fun on lightweight gear
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice opening day from the kayak for BSB. Kept (3) 18-22" for tomorrow's dinner.

BSBMay21.2015_zpsso1qf2jz.jpg

Here's a quick vid...watch it in 720p for better quality

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a great seabass opener here too, managed to limit out before the crowds showed up and we were back home for a 10am nap.
bc99dca5f003dcb04aae721e226ee48d.jpg
07f290dcab4cbb44ab9f040b11a8dac2.jpg
ab0371f8d2b879a437c6e34d62b40ff4.jpg
51a357fdcb001bd586188a2f19039e8d.jpg

Went out yesterday for the first time with my daughter, she did great but was a little afraid of the fish. Said she'd go again
image.jpeg

And today I hit the water with my fishing buddy... This kid loves to fish. Caught a bunch of pickerel, tons of small largemouth and a couple good sized ones mixed in. He learned how to lip a bass today.

image.jpeg

Trying to convince the wife we need a bigger boat. Not anything huge. My current boat is great but it's not kid friendly and more than one kid at a time would be PITA.

Went out yesterday for the first time with my daughter, she did great but was a little afraid of the fish. Said she'd go again
View attachment 168181

And today I hit the water with my fishing buddy... This kid loves to fish. Caught a bunch of pickerel, tons of small largemouth and a couple good sized ones mixed in. He learned how to lip a bass today.

View attachment 168183

Trying to convince the wife we need a bigger boat. Not anything huge. My current boat is great but it's not kid friendly and more than one kid at a time would be PITA.

Cute kids! What do you use for pickerel? and bass? haha We just moved on a pond and want to get back into fishing. All I really did when I was younger was go to Rutland State Park almost everyday in the summer and fish the kivers with bread on my hook. Easy fishin right there! [laugh]

Been using a drop shot rig a ton lately.

The KVD dream-shot worms in green pumpkin with purple/gold flake are my go to.

My kid caught a real nice bass on one of those KVD dreams-shots hanging off a bobber on a hook. They work

My kid caught a real nice bass on one of those KVD dreams-shots hanging off a bobber on a hook. They work

Looks like that worked! I bought some of this (see below) and 5-6 casts later I caught this guy! I definitely ghetto rigged the hook and weight, lol. Guessing 14-16"easily, I had to guess check with a tape measure, does that sound right?
20160526_194629.jpg
20160526_194005.jpg

Oh yeah. ..large or small mouth? lol

Do you have any luck dropshotting from shore?

Looks like that worked! I bought some of this (see below) and 5-6 casts later I caught this guy! I definitely ghetto rigged the hook and weight, lol. Guessing 14-16"easily, I had to guess check with a tape measure, does that sound right?
View attachment 168231
View attachment 168232

Oh yeah. ..large or small mouth? lol

nice fish....

Largemouth... Easiest way to tell is the black stripe across the body. Smallies don't have that and are usually more brown in color.

Do you have any luck dropshotting from shore?

Yup... I drop shot from shore all the time.

Not sure what a drop shot is? But I was casting from shore. What is a drop shot?

Drop Shot
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/drop-shot-rig

althought I use a hook with a built in swivel made for drop shoting instead of the pamolmar knot. I find the Pamolar knot causing my line to twist up like crazy.

I had my first New England fishing last week. In an old oxbow pond off the Connecticut River, I caught and released three pike (12-22 inches), one yellow perch, and one black crappie. All in about an hour from the first wet lure.

If the last two had brought along a few cousins, we'd have had a fish fry.

Back
Top Bottom