• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

My son and I went out Sunday on a friends boat. We found some nice sea bass all day. As usual the boy out fished me (must be his lucky NES hat) but I'm used to that by now. Black sea bass is an excellent tasting fish and we have enough for a few dinners. We had our share of mostly keeper size bass, some big scup and the occasional sea robin.
13316953_10208005469288655_6534124436422785383_o.jpg 13305108_10208005470528686_7288517765060878847_o.jpg 13304974_10208005471928721_1992530884867608249_o.jpg 13329442_10208005471168702_6127317051893140837_o.jpg 13320613_10208005470608688_4029311779666450278_o.jpg

Cape Cod bay was excellent today! We had 75 fish in the boat and could have stayed all day bailing fish if it weren't for damn "adult responsibilities" crap!
View attachment 168851View attachment 168852View attachment 168853View attachment 168854View attachment 168855View attachment 168856

Damn! Awesome day!

They need to move a little further north. My dad and other guys in town are only landing small schoolies. Only a matter of time before the bigger ones move in...

We got you covered, fishing from 3-8 am, then going to shoot an IDPA match at 9 , Sunday same fishing times then running a practice for the MA championship next weekend. Fishing and shooting..life is good.

Nice fish,wish I could join in.Had a cortisone shot 3 weeks after arthroscopic knee surgery.So I will be sitting here watching the grass grow around the boat.

I'm hoping to take Friday off from work to catch some stripers with my dad. He got a 43" striper yesterday and his buddies have been landing 25# fish.

Headed to the Cape at 3:30 this morning, back home at noon with dinner. I gotta move closer to the ocean.

6.11.2016MeCape_zpsmtregimh.jpg

Largest of the three fluke is 25". I caught a couple that were bigger, but these three were enough, so I released them.

6.11.2016BSBFluke_zpsrnedpwfh.jpg

We got into the stripers today in North Bay/Osterville. Ended up clearing about 20 little guys, 2 small fluke and a very nice blue fish (6ish lbs). They all came on fly rods except the blue which smoked a paddle tail on light tackle. Great morning!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Caught two stripers yesterday. One 26" and one was 20". No keepers yet though my dad got a 43" fish on Tuesday....

Fished the Assabet river near concord with my son in the canoe for 4 hours Sunday before the rain hit. Perfect morning for canoe fishing no wind and overcast. Only got two small bass but had a good time!

If any of you are looking for a fantastic canoeing trip the concord river/Sudbury river/Assabet river all near concord are fantastic. The current is almost non detectable so paddling both directions is easy. Put in at the junction of Lowell road and liberty street in concord is great. Go left to the junction of assabet and Sudbury goo right and you are on the concord main branch and the old north bridge is only a short paddle away. I've taken two decent pike out of those waters over the last few years they do show up in there from time to time.

Last edited:
We got into the stripers today in North Bay/Osterville. Ended up clearing about 20 little guys, 2 small fluke and a very nice blue fish (6ish lbs). They all came on fly rods except the blue which smoked a paddle tail on light tackle. Great morning!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I spend most of my time fly fishing rivers in the western part of MA but would like to head east for the striper fishing. What weight setup are you using? I have an 8 weight, would that suffice? What sort of flies are you throwing? Im assuming variations of streamers?

Thanks, Chris

I spend most of my time fly fishing rivers in the western part of MA but would like to head east for the striper fishing. What weight setup are you using? I have an 8 weight, would that suffice? What sort of flies are you throwing? Im assuming variations of streamers?

Thanks, Chris

I am far, far, far from an expert in Fly Fishing, let alone fishing for stripers. My uncle, who guided me on the trip, on the other hand isn't. He gave me my setup and provided the guidance.

We mostly threw Clouser Minnows in Chartreuse and White. I think the hooks were 1/0.

I used a 9' 8wt rod with 9wt line on it. Sinking line and weighted eye flies got down to em pretty good.

ETA: Sand Eel and worm patterns are pretty popular, too.

I am far, far, far from an expert in Fly Fishing, let alone fishing for stripers. My uncle, who guided me on the trip, on the other hand isn't. He gave me my setup and provided the guidance.

We mostly threw Clouser Minnows in Chartreuse and White. I think the hooks were 1/0.

I used a 9' 8wt rod with 9wt line on it. Sinking line and weighted eye flies got down to em pretty good.

ETA: Sand Eel and worm patterns are pretty popular, too.

Awesome, that plenty of helpful information to get me started, thanks! I have a friend in Hyde Park that will likely travel along with me so between the two of us, we should be able to get started. I don't know the area well so hopefully he has some spots scouted.

Awesome, that plenty of helpful information to get me started, thanks! I have a friend in Hyde Park that will likely travel along with me so between the two of us, we should be able to get started. I don't know the area well so hopefully he has some spots scouted.

Happy to help. There are, evidentally, nice stripers in Boston Harbor. That's my next stop.

More pics of the little guy and me fishing tonight. Stayed out way longer than I told the wife We would and caught a little shit once we got home. Worth it. He got to use the new rod/reel I bought him and loved it. He stepped up to a 4'6" spincaster. Kids a fishing machine.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom