• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

admcd

NES Member
New year, new thread.

Anyone still getting out? I spent a couple happy hours on Christmas Eve chasing bass. No luck but a couple nibbles.

I moved spots after about an hour and, of course, a bass jumped clear out of the water right where I was casting at my recently abandoned spot.

To many bathers to snag! New Years day wedding and first swim at Ocean City.

A few miles north of you then. IBSP to about 10 miles north was the school of fish , Friday was a day of big fish in tight from the beach. White metal lips and rubber shads...Last Monday was the best day of the year, including spring. Many 30-40# fish within 20 yards of the shore. I know of one confirmed 50 from the beach too.

I'm working to plan my first fly fishing of the year. Shooting for late January or Feb. Need to get a 40*ish day for the midge hatch and I'm going.

A few miles north of you then. IBSP to about 10 miles north was the school of fish , Friday was a day of big fish in tight from the beach. White metal lips and rubber shads...Last Monday was the best day of the year, including spring. Many 30-40# fish within 20 yards of the shore. I know of one confirmed 50 from the beach too.
I'll be in that area at the end of the month.Heading down for a weekend and will take a surf stick with me.

Thanks

heard report of ice fishing today on Long Pond in Rutland, limited to small cove with open water nearby, won't be long ( i Hope...)

I went fly fishing in the Merrimack behind my house New Years Day...caught a smallish rainbow on a bugger. Getting down to the river was treacherous. I can't wait for spring.

Last edited:
Anyone have a suggestion on a pair of waders? I've a pair of these, but I'm not wild about them. I got them because I needed a pair in a hurry and they were relatively inexpensive. Looking for something in the $100 to $150 range.

LL Bean. Lifetime warranty on their waders.

I love LL Bean, but that price tag scares the hell out of me. I can hide a $100 or $150 purchase from my boss (wife), but $250 is harder.

Anyone have any experience with Caddis Waders? They look pretty decent, more storage but I've never seen them.

Do you have seperate wading boots? Or are you looking for boot foot waders? Are these just for river fishing or surf applications too? My son wears these http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1110...-ii-waders-stocking-foot&attrValue_0=Mountain Green&productId=1201908 , and has a pair of these boots http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...ader%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wading+boots that I put grip studs in , but we're climbing slippery rocks all the time in the surf. That combination won't let you down.

Last edited:
Do you have seperate wading boots? Or are you looking for boot foot waders? Are these just for river fishing or surf applications too? My son wears these http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1110...-ii-waders-stocking-foot&attrValue_0=Mountain Green&productId=1201908 , and has a pair of these boots http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...ader%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wading+boots that I put grip studs in , but we're climbing slippery rocks all the time in the surf. That combination won't let you down.
Mostly pond and river/stream. Peter's down on the cape and Swift. I go with my uncle and he's deep into fly fishing for stripers. I'm trying to get a do everything kit.

Not opposed to getting some boots, too, as not nuts about the grip on the boot footed Waders I've seen

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The cabelas boots are felt soled, and I believe they came with studs you can install. I use grip studs because of how we fish but that set up is more than fine for the average fisherman. My son is pretty big, beats up on the waders good and so far no leaks in 2 years.

Anyone have a suggestion on a pair of waders? I've a pair of these, but I'm not wild about them. I got them because I needed a pair in a hurry and they were relatively inexpensive. Looking for something in the $100 to $150 range.
Go with breathable stocking foot waders if you want to do it all. There's boots that have interchangeable soles so you can cater to the type of bottom you encounter. Also keep in mind felt soles are banned in some places because they can transfer invasive species of plants.

Go with breathable stocking foot waders if you want to do it all. There's boots that have interchangeable soles so you can cater to the type of bottom you encounter. Also keep in mind felt soles are banned in some places because they can transfer invasive species of plants.

Yes, make sure if that is your application you go with the rubber soled boots ,same version of felt one but different soles. The ban is for freshwater applications only.

Mostly pond and river/stream. Peter's down on the cape and Swift. I go with my uncle and he's deep into fly fishing for stripers. I'm trying to get a do everything kit.

Not opposed to getting some boots, too, as not nuts about the grip on the boot footed Waders I've seen

I've got LL Bean Flyweights ($100) and they work well for my needs. I cheaped out on boots, which was my bad, I'll get new ones before my next trip.

I got a pair of Aquaz Wadertech 5's from Sierra for $160. They come a week from tomorrow. Looking forward to giving them a shot.

Too cold for me to go fishing, so working on airbrushing some plug kits today...

FirstPencilPopper_zpscidkkrwo.jpg

Working on 15 more various needles, spooks, pencils, Danny's, etc.

Last edited:
Too cold for me to go fishing, so working on airbrushing some plugs today...

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/solow73/FirstPencilPopper_zpscidkkrwo.jpg?t=1452894924

Working on 15 more various needles, spooks, pencils, Danny's, etc.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Striper size or?

Back
Top Bottom