2016 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

How big are those plugs?

That one is 6 1/2" and will be just over 2oz when complete.

I just finished airbrushing this one, which is 7" and will be 3oz...next step is epoxy coating.

Squidley_zpssj1s5xqf.jpg

Do you have a duplicator for your lathe ?

I don't have a lathe (yet). I am using Salty's kits. I wanted to make my own, but didn't want to invest in all the tooling right now since I have never made (assembled) any of my own lures. That first pic is my very first attempt. These kits are perfect for me since I have to basically do everything except turning and drilling the blank (some drilling is required). Everything except the hooks and split rings are included. I already had all the airbrushing equipment.

Here's his website if your not familiar with it: http://www.saltybugger.com/kits.htm

He's in Uxbridge, MA.

I don't have a lathe (yet). I am using Salty's kits. I wanted to make my own, but didn't want to invest in all the tooling right now since I have never made (assembled) any of my own lures. That first pic is my very first attempt. These kits are perfect for me since I have to basically do everything except turning and drilling the blank (some drilling is required). Everything except the hooks and split rings are included. I already had all the airbrushing equipment.

Here's his website if your not familiar with it: http://www.saltybugger.com/kits.htm

He's in Uxbridge, MA.

Scott's kits are a great way to build plugs. Nice work you did there.

I received a book about making wooden lures this Christmas. It sounds like a ton of fun, but I'm intimidated by the airbrushing. Do you have any tips for a complete novice?

I received a book about making wooden lures this Christmas. It sounds like a ton of fun, but I'm intimidated by the airbrushing. Do you have any tips for a complete novice?

Watch Youtube videos. Read airbrushing forums. There's tons of instructional videos from novice to advanced.

Here's a few tips...

Get a decent dual action gravity fed airbrush from Badger, Paasche, or Iwata which run in the $80-$180 price range. I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush. From what I have read, the $30 Master airbrushes are just going to aggravate you and make you not want to learn to airbrush (not working, bad seals, clogging, bad paint flow, etc.).

You'll want a small compressor for airbrushing. Hooking it up to a 8hp garage compressor isn't a good idea. You'll be adjusting pressures back and forth between 20-45psi depending on the situation (if your paint is spidering, back off the pressure until it doesn't). I have a cheap compressor. It's pretty quiet and still going strong after many years. I have this one http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-TC-20T.html#.Vpw9dyhq6gw

A lot of learning is trial and error. Practice on paper from junk mail, cardboard boxes, etc. See how thin a line you can make when almost touching the paper and how wide a spread you get 1,2,3 inches away.

Stencils are your friend. I didn't make all those little nice round dots freehand, I used one of those flat plastic drill bit sizers to make nice clean decreasing sized dots. I use electrical tape to mark off areas because it's cheap and low adhesive. I'll cut out a shape on a piece of paper and use it as a stencil. I've cut some bristles off the end of a broom to spray over for a hair effect. There are way too many tricks to list.

For paints, I generally use Createx paints. They are water based, so you can thin them with water when needed. I don't have 50 bottles of color either. When I need green, I mix blue and yellow. Createx paints are set with heat. For example, I base coated that yellow Danny swimmer in the pic and then hit it with a heat gun to set the yellow. When I was spraying pearl white for the scale effect, the netting I was using to create that effect slipped and it looked like crap. I quickly wiped the pearl white off with a wet paper towel and the yellow base coat was fine because it was already heat set. I put my netting back on and resprayed it with opaque white because it looked better than the pearl on this one.

net_zpso1rsoriv.jpg

Last edited:
Great way to make a mackerel pattern stencil - Cut a big enough section out of an empty gallon of milk. Heat it with a heat gun , mould it to the plug body. Sharpie the pattern you want and cut with exacto knife/dremel.

One stencil will last hundreds of plugs. They get easier to make after a few . I don't make or paint plugs but I have friend who do and sell commercially ,they use this stencil. One guy free hands Mack patterns and hates doing them but they look awesome.

Fishing shows:

For the fly guys, FYI that this show is today, tomorrow and Sunday:
http://flyfishingshow.com/marlborough-ma/

Next weekend is:
http://www.nefishingexpo.com/

Not sure if I'm going to either of the two above, but I will definitely be going to the RI show next month:
http://www.nesaltwatershow.com/

I'll be in RI too, my son has to work the Century Rods/Advanced Fishing booth. Let me know when your going, Luxe Burger is right around the corner and has great food.

I'll be in RI too, my son has to work the Century Rods/Advanced Fishing booth. Let me know when your going, Luxe Burger is right around the corner and has great food.

Right now I am planning on being there when the doors open on Friday. I want to pick up a new surf rod with a 2-3oz sweet spot for open beach plugging. Century's are out my planned budget though [grin]

Right now I am planning on being there when the doors open on Friday. I want to pick up a new surf rod with a 2-3oz sweet spot for open beach plugging. Century's are out my planned budget though [grin]

I've got an in with them ,my son is on the pro staff so he gets his rods free . I get a decent deal on them too ,great surf and boat rods.

Waiting for a chance to get on the ice with my son and waiting for this thread to contain some actual fishing action...[wink]
If it's not frozen over, I'm fishing Peter's pond next Saturday. I hope to have a pic for you. [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If it's not frozen over, I'm fishing Peter's pond next Saturday. I hope to have a pic for you. [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been watching the news and I think it will be frozen in the morning( (1-23-16), but you probably won't be able to get there with all the snow you are getting. HA HA. It is even white way down here in Atlanta, Georgia. Good luck.

Sieble lures are on sale in Bass Pro for $7 and change. The last one I bought was over $25 and got me a lot of stripers. Word is Rapala bought them out and are trying to get rid of everything with the Sieble name on it.

Sieble lures are on sale in Bass Pro for $7 and change. The last one I bought was over $25 and got me a lot of stripers. Word is Rapala bought them out and are trying to get rid of everything with the Sieble name on it.

They are redesigning the entire line. The stick shads were improved , they changed the molding process so they stop cracking and they pinned the hook hangers and line attachment. Same with the magic swimmers strengthened the joints . New colors and patterns too. They will also be 40% less money wise.

image.jpg Got out today finally all snakes for me but got a tan perfect day @ the beach.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom