• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting & Fishing "New for 2024"

Catoperat

NES Member
Just an FYI for everyone.

Link to the complete abstracts.

NEW FOR 2024

Archery Deer and Fall Wild Turkey Season Extension: The archery deer season and
the fall wild turkey season now open two weeks earlier in Wildlife Management
Zones (WMZ) 1–9 to align with WMZ 10–14.

Hunters Share the Harvest: Successful Massachusetts deer hunters
can now help to address food insecurity issues in the Commonwealth by donating
their deer. With the support of donors, hunters who donate their entire deer pay no
processing or packaging fees. Hunters who want to donate a portion of their deer will
pay a discounted processing rate, depending on the amount donated.

Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact: Massachusetts is part of the Interstate
Wildlife Violators Compact (IWVC). If any of an individual’s recreational licenses are
suspended in any other U.S. state due to the violation of reciprocal hunting, fish-
ing, or trapping laws, their privileges in Massachusetts are also suspended, and vice
versa. (See page 6)

Freshwater Sportfishing Awards Program: A Youth Catch-and-Release category and
two new species—fallfish and white sucker—have been added.

Food insecurity. Started to hear that term on the radio when I was visiting mass last week.

Sorry. Don't mean to hijack, but that one just bugs me for some reason.
Most of the people on welfare I see in this state are definately not food insecure.

If anything they are much too food secure, because their fat obese, asses are in sweatpants or pajamas, with phones and sneakers I could not afford, smelling like pot and BO.

In nearly every store I walk into on my lunch hour, to grab something quick so I can go back to work, they are in the line in my way.
Of course expecting them to get up before noon and go to the store to get free shit....might be a trigger for them.

Interesting that the season is getting extended in some zones. Based on comments in NES, it sounds like the opposite should be considered.
They are just making it the same as the eastern part of the state.

But you are correct.....they should be moving it back to Nov 1 like the original archery season starting was.

Food insecurity. Started to hear that term on the radio when I was visiting mass last week.

Sorry. Don't mean to hijack, but that one just bugs me for some reason.

40 years ago. FORTY!

And the # of people who are "food insecure" in MA is low. Any kid with a parent who is hungry is hungry b/c of bad parenting, not some sort of mistake by the system. The mistake of the system is not punching Momma and Nowhere To Be Seen Daddy in the jaw.

Interesting that the season is getting extended in some zones. Based on comments in NES, it sounds like the opposite should be considered.

Of course, according to folks here, Zones 1-9 are depleted of deer. So. . . . . . . ?????? Reminds me of fishery management around here 20-30 years ago. "We are depleting hte fish so we need more time to get them." Ummmm, it's not an unlimited resource!

White Sucker. Damn. It's about time. You'd have thought after 2008 and 2012, it would have been added.

Y cant listen to those ignorant fools who are making those blanket claims not knowing anything about the real status of the deer herds in all of the zones 1-9. Yes some could use some rebuilding, some are just fine. The zone I am in, 7, has a very healthy population.

Y cant listen to those ignorant fools who are making those blanket claims not knowing anything about the real status of the deer herds in all of the zones 1-9. Yes some could use some rebuilding, some are just fine. The zone I am in, 7, has a very healthy population.

I have hunted zones 1-8 for the last 40 plus years and we are back where we started 40 years ago in a lot of areas. There will always be pockets of deer. That’s the way it works. Enjoy them while they are still there.

The fact is that the herd is being mismanaged and will always be mismanaged in this state. Hunters today are traveling to Connecticut to fill their freezers, and states like Iowa and Ohio to have an authentic hunting experience where there is a good herd balance and a real rut where there is competition for breeding.

If the herd was properly managed, as a resource FOR hunters, there would be no need to travel. It will never happen in Mass.

I have hunted zones 1-8 for the last 40 plus years and we are back where we started 40 years ago in a lot of areas. There will always be pockets of deer. That’s the way it works. Enjoy them while they are still there.

The fact is that the herd is being mismanaged and will always be mismanaged in this state. Hunters today are traveling to Connecticut to fill their freezers, and states like Iowa and Ohio to have an authentic hunting experience where there is a good herd balance and a real rut where there is competition for breeding.

If the herd was properly managed, as a resource FOR hunters, there would be no need to travel. It will never happen in Mass.
That would involve putting a bounty on Coyotes which wouldn't happen in this day and age.

There have been plenty of deer in zones 7 8 and 9 for over 20 years. Lumping 1-9 together is idiotic

You are the one that lumped zones 1-9 together so I‘m done wasting my time.

Yeah, I don't see it as depleted as some, there are plenty of deer in my corner of north central MA (Winchendon-Royalston-Ashburnham area). Yesterday evening on the way home from work (just at dusk) I saw 15-17 deer (all does) in fields/yards, guess they were looking to get out and feed after the storm. I have pictures of 6 different bucks on the 60 acres I own, a 12 pointer, a 10, a couple 6-7 pointers, a 4, and a button buck. Also have had as many as 7-8 does in the field in the evening. The bucks, of course, go underground during the day, I think they got tunnels they hide in, except when I am not around the 10-pointer runs around in the wide open:

1702432798124.jpeg

I'm shopping for a property and was checking Virginia. Wow, do those people have a thing for regulations. Must be a "commonwealth" thing? The restrictions vary all over the place down there, so they provide an extensive guide. What they also have now is an Urban Archery Deer season. Plenty more of regulations there, but it's interesting to see the steps they've taken to increase the deer take.

You are the one that lumped zones 1-9 together so I‘m done wasting my time.
It wasn't me or you.......
This is the post that originally brought up the concept and even had no idea that does were already managed by zone. You even responded to him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231213-105611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231213-105611_Chrome.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'm shopping for a property and was checking Virginia. Wow, do those people have a thing for regulations. Must be a "commonwealth" thing? The restrictions vary all over the place down there, so they provide an extensive guide. What they also have now is an Urban Archery Deer season. Plenty more of regulations there, but it's interesting to see the steps they've taken to increase the deer take.

I had the same reaction when I moved to Montana. You need a Phd to figure it out. Several zones. Different species can have different zones. Each zone has its own rules. Antlered is different than a spike. Some zones could be lottery. Most are general tag. Each block management area has its own set of rules on top of the normal regs. Fishing might be worse. Each waterway has its own set of regs or exceptions.

But the system works. They are trying to manage it so it all stays healthy, everywhere. Once you understand it is fairly easy, you just need to check the regs before you go to a new area.

But

That would involve putting a bounty on Coyotes which wouldn't happen in this day and age.

Yeah. We are chock full of coyotes and still have an overpopulation of deer. It's not 4-footed predators that are the issue. Similar to Japanese blaming dolphins for overfishing. LOL

It wasnt me.......
This is the post that originally brought up the concept and even had no idea that does were already managed by zone. You even responded to him.

Hey! My point was - so many here complain that everything west of 495 sucks - so I lumped 1-9 together. Do whatever. But if there is a dearth of deer, extending the season is NOT going to accomplish the stated goals long-term. It's only counter-productive. 1-5, 2-7, 3,6,9,12. Whatever. But if there is a massive drop-off of deer #'s, hunting needs to be curtailed, not extended.

Yeah. We are chock full of coyotes and still have an overpopulation of deer. It's not 4-footed predators that are the issue. Similar to Japanese blaming dolphins for overfishing. LOL

Hey! My point was - so many here complain that everything west of 495 sucks - so I lumped 1-9 together. Do whatever. But if there is a dearth of deer, extending the season is NOT going to accomplish the stated goals long-term. It's only counter-productive. 1-5, 2-7, 3,6,9,12. Whatever. But if there is a massive drop-off of deer #'s, hunting needs to be curtailed, not extended.
Depends how rural the area and how easily the yotes can run them down.

It wasn't me or you.......
I stand corrected.

All deer hunting is zone specific and as in real estate it is always location, location, location. Safety, food, and sex are always the determining factors.

My preference generally is for big woods hunting. October mountain, mount Washington, Jug end, and such. Sadly, the deer herd there has been in serious decline in those parts of mass.

As always, there are many factors, an aging mature forest, predator, poachers, etc. It is frustrating that DFW does very little support the herd. If I just wanted to fill my tags I could set up behind my dads and fill them in a few days. It just isn’t what I enjoy.

I would gladly pay double my license fees if they would actively manage the deer herd for hunters.

I will add that I was happy to see that they finally listened to pheasant hunters and changed the rules. Six birds a season was ridiculous for guys that own and run dogs.

I would

Yeah, I don't see it as depleted as some, there are plenty of deer in my corner of north central MA (Winchendon-Royalston-Ashburnham area). Yesterday evening on the way home from work (just at dusk) I saw 15-17 deer (all does) in fields/yards, guess they were looking to get out and feed after the storm. I have pictures of 6 different bucks on the 60 acres I own, a 12 pointer, a 10, a couple 6-7 pointers, a 4, and a button buck. Also have had as many as 7-8 does in the field in the evening. The bucks, of course, go underground during the day, I think they got tunnels they hide in, except when I am not around the 10-pointer runs around in the wide open:

View attachment 827235
It all depends....there are some good private land spots. And bordering New Hampshire where deer are managed a bit differently might make a difference. If your seeing 17 deer, they are probably starting yarding behavior for the season and that is probably all the deer in that one area. Unless you see the same herd of 17 every night and during the summer and stuff. If your seeing deer daily.

I drive around alot and don't see deer regularly at all....lucky to see one every other month in the fields i drive by........but there is a lot of state land by me and its probably not managed well and always overhunted.

My last trip down south, I saw herds of 10-40 in nearly every field I drove by off of 81 in Virginia at dusk in some spots. Not just one field, there were deer in every field.

It all depends....there are some good private land spots. And bordering New Hampshire where deer are managed a bit differently might make a difference. If your seeing 17 deer, they are probably starting yarding behavior for the season and that is probably all the deer in that one area. Unless you see the same herd of 17 every night and during the summer and stuff. If your seeing deer daily.

I drive around alot and don't see deer regularly at all....lucky to see one every other month in the fields i drive by........but there is a lot of state land by me and its probably not managed well and always overhunted.

My last trip down south, I saw herds of 10-40 in nearly every field I drove by off of 81 in Virginia at dusk in some spots. Not just one field, there were deer in every field.

Just to clarify, the 15-17 were at various locations on the way home, not in one spot. With this weather, they are definitely not yarding around here.

My house abuts state land and I have 5-7 does, plus 1 or 2 bucks at times, in my yard almost every day/night, they are eating pretty much everything. As far as hunting pressure, there has been very little compared to what it was 20 years ago.

There is certainly more deer down south, always has been, I once saw 200-300 on one golf course that abutted a wildlife management area in New Jersey just before dusk, you're not going to see that around here ever.

I dont really think it is cold enough yet nor snowy enough yet to trigger yarding behavior, at least around me. I have regularly been seeing deer in the fields in my town for over a month probably due to the horrible acorn year we had out here. Saw a dozen just yesterday.

I dont really think it is cold enough yet nor snowy enough yet to trigger yarding behavior, at least around me. I have regularly been seeing deer in the fields in my town for over a month probably due to the horrible acorn year we had out here. Saw a dozen just yesterday.
I do agree...way too warm for them to be yarding.

Still.....don't see any in the fields near me. Drive thru Barre Falls or thru town at dusk all the time....nothing.

Most of the people on welfare I see in this state are definately not food insecure.

If anything they are much too food secure, because their fat obese, asses are in sweatpants or pajamas, with phones and sneakers I could not afford, smelling like pot and BO.

In nearly every store I walk into on my lunch hour, to grab something quick so I can go back to work, they are in the line in my way.
Of course expecting them to get up before noon and go to the store to get free shit....might be a trigger for them.

The "poor" in this country live like kings compared to actual poor people in other places like Eastern Europe, China, Russia, anywhere in Africa or South America, etc.. They all have nice TVs, iPhones, high-speed interWebs, housing, food, etc...

Back
Top Bottom