2016 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

I usually give them A big HUG before dropping them back in the hole. Still not legal but a tad less obvious than whipping them on the ice. The green coats got a buddy for doing it last winter..

Any opinions regarding treble or bucktail siwash hooks on the tail? I have plenty of white, yellow & black in 5/0 and 6/0.

Trying to decide which way to go on this one (2/0 treble and 5/0 siwash shown). Plug is 6.5" and the bucktail would make it 11" tip to tip. Bigger plugs for bigger fish? [smile]

1.75popper_zpsz3wvzgjd.jpg

Wrapped these up today:

2.5oz Danny 4/0 treble & 6/0 siwash
1.5oz Bottle 2/0 treble & 5/0 siwash
1.25oz Pencil 2/0 treble & 5/0 siwash

3finishedplugssmall_zpstvlpd3vv.jpg

Hopefully my fishing skills catch up to my airbrushing skills.

Any opinions regarding treble or bucktail siwash hooks on the tail? I have plenty of white, yellow & black in 5/0 and 6/0.

Trying to decide which way to go on this one (2/0 treble and 5/0 siwash shown). Plug is 6.5" and the bucktail would make it 11" tip to tip. Bigger plugs for bigger fish? [smile]

1.75popper_zpsz3wvzgjd.jpg

Wrapped these up today:

2.5oz Danny 4/0 treble & 6/0 siwash
1.5oz Bottle 2/0 treble & 5/0 siwash
1.25oz Pencil 2/0 treble & 5/0 siwash

3finishedplugssmall_zpstvlpd3vv.jpg

Hopefully my fishing skills catch up to my airbrushing skills.

awesome work....

Any opinions regarding treble or bucktail siwash hooks on the tail?

They say, stripers eat nearly everything head-first, so a rear treble is more likely to catch the fisherman during handling of fish. In my experience with fish caught on plugs, they're rarely hooked by the trailing hook alone.

They say, stripers eat nearly everything head-first, so a rear treble is more likely to catch the fisherman during handling of fish. In my experience with fish caught on plugs, they're rarely hooked by the trailing hook alone.
This is true. I catch a lot of fish on pencils I'd guess 90% of them are on the belly hook. I did try a few with a single siwash on the rear and found the ones that did get the rear hook came off much more frequently. All of my pencils have a treble on the back but I crush the barbs on them because 100% of the hooks I've been impaled with have been the tail hook and its much easier to walk the hook out of yourself.

The majority of my fishing is with live bait. I'll try to "match the hatch" or what's available at the time.
I have replaced treble hooks with siwash on some of the plugs I use. To catch more fish,learn to work the plug using different retrieves.
Size does matter and bigger is not always better.Elephants eat peanuts and when bass key in on a new hatch of grass shrimp or worms....good luck plugging!

Drove around the cape looking for open water and feeding trout or holdover stripers yesterday. Saw nothing in 3 hours of hitting different spots. Time to wait for March and spring, I guess.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a newish pair of Waders I'm selling the Aquaz I bought a few weeks ago. Didn't care for the fit. They're in the classifieds here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=301399

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If you're looking for another pair of waders, I suggest a pair of hunting waders from Cabelas. They will work year round at the Swift since the water is so a constant bottom temperature from Quabbin. Granted, I have other waders for warmer weather but it would be cheaper to only pick one pair and go with hunting waders year round.

If you're looking for another pair of waders, I suggest a pair of hunting waders from Cabelas. They will work year round at the Swift since the water is so a constant bottom temperature from Quabbin. Granted, I have other waders for warmer weather but it would be cheaper to only pick one pair and go with hunting waders year round.
I went with a pair of Kennebec Waders from LL Bean. It's what I should have done in the first place. I chased a deal and it bit me in the ass.

While we were cruising around yesterday I wandered into Peter's Pond to give them a test. With a pair of fleece lined pants and fleece wading pants and was toasty warm. I like being able to layer up or down based on conditions.

Last edited:
I went with a pair of Kennebec Waders from LL Bean. It's what I should have done in the first place. I chased a deal and it bit me in the ass.

Good choice, can't beat the 100% satisfaction guarantee from LL Bean. I returned a pair of Kennebec zip-ups a few months ago under warranty because the cuffs filled with sand and I got a new pair of their waterfowler pro's instead. When I'm not in the yak, I surfcast open sand beaches and I learned that's the one scenario where bootfoots are the best choice.

While we were causing around yesterday I wandered into Peter's Pond to give them a test. With a pair of fleece lined pants and fleece wading pants and was toasty warm. I like being able to layer up or down based on conditions.

Nice! I have a set of the Patagonia Skeena waders with Korker boots that I use most of the year but once the cold weather hits, I switch to a pair of hunting waders. I also like layering but its hard to stay warm in the Swift River during those cold months regardless of layers!

Nice! I have a set of the Patagonia Skeena waders with Korker boots that I use most of the year but once the cold weather hits, I switch to a pair of hunting waders. I also like layering but its hard to stay warm in the Swift River during those cold months regardless of layers!

I haven't fished the Swift yet. My casting still needs work so I haven't wanted to embarrass myself publicly with the fly rod.

Hopefully this spring I can get out and land something.

I walked to the Merrimack behind my house with my fly rod yesterday (north of Concord, NH)...caught a couple of fallfish and a couple of rainbows. I threw them all back but they were all OK sizes...the 'bows were in the vicinity of 14" or so.

I was catching them on wooley buggers.

I haven't fished the Swift yet. My casting still needs work so I haven't wanted to embarrass myself publicly with the fly rod. Hopefully this spring I can get out and land something.
Embarrassment is a strong motivator! Nothing will help you more than real world practice, but I suggest watching lots of YouTube vids. I've only gotten serious with my fly fishing in the last couple of years and I learned a lot from reading and watching stuff on YouTube. Having a nice rod with the correct line weight also makes a world of difference.

Embarrassment is a strong motivator! Nothing will help you more than real world practice, but I suggest watching lots of YouTube vids. I've only gotten serious with my fly fishing in the last couple of years and I learned a lot from reading and watching stuff on YouTube. Having a nice rod with the correct line weight also makes a world of difference.
This times a million for me. I just got my rod and reel yesterday - 8wt, 9' Orvis hand-me-down from my uncle. uploadfromtaptalk1454353930950.jpg

Looking forward to many hours of practice in the next couple months. Using a 9' rod is a lot different than the 5' office rod I've been practicing with.

I haven't fished the Swift yet. My casting still needs work so I haven't wanted to embarrass myself publicly with the fly rod.

Hopefully this spring I can get out and land something.

Work on roll casting, less glamorous and more effective for a small place like the swift.

If you haven't set your rod up yet check out royal wulff triangle taper, awesome for roll casting.

Work on roll casting, less glamorous and more effective for a small place like the swift.

If you haven't set your rod up yet check out royal wulff triangle taper, awesome for roll casting.
Rod came with some sinking and floating line. Looking into replacing it - It's old stuff.

Was going to go with two lines in my vest WF8F and the same weight in sinking.

What makes that line ideal for a roll cast?

Rod came with some sinking and floating line. Looking into replacing it - It's old stuff.

Was going to go with two lines in my vest WF8F and the same weight in sinking.

What makes that line ideal for a roll cast?

If you're trout fishing that 8WT is going to be too heavy and leave too much of a disturbance on the water. I know you have a heavy pole but i'd probably still put on a 6WT heaviest. A lot of guys will tell you to use one less weight than the rod calls out.

The triangle taper is real thick at the butt end and super thin at the tip end, with a continuous taper all the way down. Therefore when you roll cast, it's constantly heavier line flipping over lighter line, giving you the roll in the line and a soft placement with minimal effort.

Weight forward line is tapered in the middle, so the middle of the line is thin and the tip end is thick. This lets you launch the line further in traditional casting but doesn't turn over as well or as gentile for roll casting.

That being said, I roll casted no problem for awhile before I switched to the triangle. Since 99% of the time i'm roll casting in western mass the switch was a no brainer for me.

I'm no professional either, so you might want to consult someone that has credible knowledge.

8wgt for stripers - look at a 250-300 grain sinking line. I like Sci-Anglers Mastery Series lines - no memory to speak of and durable.

Go to Bear's Den and get advice on gear

Trout I like 9'-0" 5 wgt stuff - floating and class III sinking max. Smaller waters I like a 4 or 3 wgt, they scale down so the rods are shorter

The fly fishing show was 2 weeks ago...

I also use a 5 weight for smaller rivers and the Swift, I have seen guys using 2-3 weight rods there but the 5 weight was a good choice for all around fishing for me. I also have an 8 weight but that gets taken out for Bass or bigger rivers like trips up to Maine. I have slowly collected gear over the year and have two five weight setups, one with sinking tip and one with floating line. I hardly use the sinking tip but like to have a reel already set up with the sinking line on it making it much easier to just throw on a fly rod and go. Switching lines between one reel can be done but is a pain to do multiple times. I also spend most of my time on a cheaper Redington rod that I picked up on clearance one day just because I like the response compared to my Orvis setup (granted we are talking clearwater setup, not helios). Use what you have to start and keep an eye out for cheap or even used gear as it becomes available.

Sounds like NES needs a fly fishing meet up in 2016?!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and suggestions, all.

Before I run out and buy a new setup, I'm going to give it a shot with what I got. I'm wondering if a long leader will mitigate the distribution of the heavier line hitting water.

Will try spooling up some 6wt on it in the mean time - line is cheaper than a new rod.

Plus side, swapping spools is easy.

You will quickly become frustrated underlining that much. I suggest looking for used gear in the 5-6 wgt range - yard sales, on line cheap sites and discount bins are all good sources. Don't underestimate the value of a beginner kit commonly found at bean outlets, orvis outlet up near KTP.

Even at ktp you can find you can find beginner kits that will get you going and keep you going until you upgrade it all piece by piece, even from bargain bins.

Here you go:
LINK

Add a good sink tip line and replace the floater next year at the show in January

Last edited:
You will quickly become frustrated underlining that much. I suggest looking for used gear in the 5-6 wgt range - yard sales, on line cheap sites and discount bins are all good sources. Don't underestimate the value of a beginner kit commonly found at bean outlets, orvis outlet up near KTP.

Even at ktp you can find you can find beginner kits that will get you going and keep you going until you upgrade it all piece by piece, even from bargain bins.

Here you go:
LINK

Add a good sink tip line and replace the floater next year at the show in January

Thanks for the advice. That setup isn't that much more expensive than line. Guess I'm getting two new flyrods in one week. :)

^ Check the Cabelas RLS kit for $160, I used one for two years without any issues. I did swap out to better line, which is what i'd recommended with any starter kit you'd get.

checked the ice @ a few ponds around the worcester area yesterday. The ice is still to thin hopefully i will be able to get out mon after this cold weekend.

Back
Top Bottom