• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

Some of my best memories are fishing with my boys when they were young, Now they take the old man fishing. I'm looking to bringing the grand kids out when they get a little older. RDG, Great pictures, he looks like he's done it a time or two.

Last edited:
Few bites, one fish tonight. Hopefully more luck tomorrow with my father on the Charles in Waltham.

54fb5bc066da9eb46ca88ff0ae22783f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I was driving by Jamaica Pond the other afternoon ( 2 pm. Sunny,hot) and this guy near the boathouse was holding a largemouth . . . Had to be 5-6 lbs! I mean fat and long ! Not bad for urban fishing!

My pond, apparently, was hit hard by poachers. Couple guys dragging a gill net behind the boat, keeping the trout and throwing back the wounded/dying bass. They got caught, I'm told, with 65 trout of the few hundred stocked. :/

Back there on Saturday morning before the dentist. Haven't caught a bass since May. :/

I was out on a Pontoon boat with some old friends yesterday, It was like fishing from your living room. We had a great day, lots of laughs, old stories that get better with time and we even caught more than a few bass. IMG_2974.jpg

My pond, apparently, was hit hard by poachers. Couple guys dragging a gill net behind the boat, keeping the trout and throwing back the wounded/dying bass. They got caught, I'm told, with 65 trout of the few hundred stocked. :/

Back there on Saturday morning before the dentist. Haven't caught a bass since May. :/

That kind of shit gets me pissed, have some respect and enjoy the sport. Last year they caught a few guys up at the Swift River late night pulling fish out and filling coolers in a fly-fishing catch and release area.

Last edited:
Went to a spot and kayak fished in CT with a friends. Killed it with a wacky rig. Nothing to brag about but was still fun.

Nice. That's a happy kid there!

One advantage I've exploited with the kayak in fresh water, is stealth. On heavily pressured waters, making a quiet entry into the area, and making long casts, has produced some of my largest bass. Bass that I've seen plenty of by boat, but could not get to take whatever I threw at them (artificials). I've also gotten some nice sized fish by drifting into the lily pads, and staying motionless for a while before throwing a bass bug (fly) or popper/frog. Sometimes the hits are surprisingly explosive.

Been a busy season so far! Haven't had time to share much so here's some content from the bass season thus far. Wicked excited I got my kid out for his First commercial bass trip ever and we absolutely crushed it!

Enjoy the pics!
8e080730f43ebb16b5c189f959a2ad77.jpg
f9b96a37ef452ac239720aa15ecf37c5.jpg
db7c89151b0c4d1e0b2018f9f5f57536.jpg
5541d54f564a76e034893727ae78482c.jpg
87731d0bfe4d42987bf83871576add3e.jpg

Apparently no pictures on my phone but I've been killin it from my kayak this summer. Got a sweet spot in town and if i get out At 530 at night by 6 they are basically jumping in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proud husband tonight.

Went fishing with the wife at the usual spot. Fished for about two hours. I caught a couple bass and had a pickerel bite through my line.

On the last cast of the night, the wife landed her first ever large mouth bass. No hesitation, set the hook and brought it right in. For a squeamish individual, she had no problem grabbing the sucker by the lip and trying to get the hook out.

Sadly, the hook set put the hook right through the bass' eye, so I don't think homeboy is going to be making it. Cut the line off and sent him on his way. Dunno if it was the right call, but I figured it was better than ripping the fish's head apart.

Last edited:
Got the boy out for some Seabassing on Sunday. We did 80 lbs of jumbos and 70 lbs of mediums, done by 1 PM. Wound up stopping in menemsha to sell the meat and treated ourselves to some ice cream before the steam home.
fd0ceef42fe14dcf0e65690a192e8605.jpg

0e386f3bca4038ee2140c1843b374db2.jpg

1d6d499677ed5b70037a1624deddc3ca.jpg

Went out about 8 miles south of the Vineyard yesterday for Bonita or anything else really. Had one small bluefish and for some weird reason about 30 black sea bass on the troll. Never seen sea bass come up and hit swimming plugs. Anyone else ever experience this?

Last year,I was fishing down the Islands for stripers.Landed a sea bass half the size of the eel I used for bait.Tonight,the eel worked well to catch a nice striper in the 40's!
Went out about 8 miles south of the Vineyard yesterday for Bonita or anything else really. Had one small bluefish and for some weird reason about 30 black sea bass on the troll. Never seen sea bass come up and hit swimming plugs. Anyone else ever experience this?

I took the 12 year old grand son to the Y pool Swift River Fly Fish Only Catch and Release section last week. It was a great day. This week we fished the Little Leigh-Hi river in PA with a friend in PA. This is one of the PA heritage streams fly fish only catch and release, barb-less hooks. It is a small, beautiful stream nestled in a park like setting. We hope to get back out to the Y-Pool next week. Does anyone else on the forum fish the Y-Pool?

yup i see surface feeding BSB all the time....

It's one of those streams you have to fish a lot to decode it's mystery.
Y Pool is maddeningly addictive. I've fished it a few times.

Last time I was there, an old timer was throwing the exact same fly pattern as I was and was having all kinds of success. It's 80% technique and the rest luck.

Good luck next time you go. I'm planning a trip for 9/17 with my buddy.

Back
Top Bottom