2015 Hunting Megathread

Where are my manners!

I could not have had a chance at the buck without the help of Mass Fish and Game and the volunteers who assisted with getting all of us crippled folks out into the woods for a wonderful day.

So thank you very much to them all!

Headed out for some scouting, since all the sign near my stand has dried up recently. Brought the hooter with me, to see if I couldn't coax a gobbler into responding while I was out. No luck with the turkeys, and no deer sign at all in the area. No rubs, no droppings, and only ancient tracks. But, I did find this:
View attachment 149662

"Working " from home tomorrow. Planning on stomping around Bolton in the PM. Wish me luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes I am getting him mounted.

Not sure if you have a guy locally but there is a taxidermist in Pownal, Maine that does excellent work. My dad has 3 pieces mounted by him and I have a buck I got 2 years ago. Even the mount from 30 years ago my dad has still looks like new. Let me know if you need a name if you don't have someone you trust locally.

Oh my Exo!!! That is flippin awesome! I am so happy for your success! Big congrats bro!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Beautiful deer! I have GOT to get me one of those all terrain wheelchairs. Did you borrow it or do you own it? How did it work for you?

I own it. I purchased it from Chappell Tractor in Milford last year. They are a great company to do business with.

It works very well for me but sometimes I push it to far like the first hunt of the year when I tipped it over on myself while going over a log. Lucky I and the chair took no damage [smile]

After chasing these buggers all over New England, I finally connected with the season's first woodcock.

Dog and I must have flushed over 20 birds this month, but the brush and locations have been tough spots.

Was a great point by the dog, the bird flushed toward where I was hoping it would, and luckily I connected with my shot!

[/IMG]

Nice! Not easy to knock those down.
I put up two this morning in stuff so thick I couldn't come close to getting the gun up fast enough.

Beat the bush at Bolton Flats for a few hours this afternoon. Didn't see anything, didn't flush anything, didn't put anything down. BUT I had a great time, got a bunch of exercise and am planning my next trip out. If I can get the yard work out of the way, I'm heading back tomorrow late afternoon.

Field.jpg

I'm also scheming about how to convince my wife that a hunting dog will be fine around the cats.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a few cell phone videos from some recent hunts, in the first you can see how thick the woodcock cover is, great fall afternoons to be out in the fields!!

(these are the same videos, I'm just experimenting here with how to post video to make it easiest to view )

[video][/video]

http://vid736.photobucket.com/albums/xx4/jofajofajofa/birdhunt2015_zpslz6bvtca.mp4

Congrats on a successful day! The dog seems to very much enjoy the work! Gave me a big smile to see!

Played hooky this morning and ended up staying out longer than planned.
Dog flushed 2 timber doodles but I was too busy crawling through some man-eating prickers to even try and shoot. Flushed a rooster and hen but no shots on those birds either.

Late in the morning we heard a rooster crowing and sounding off in the morning sunshine. He was down below us on the edge of a swampy area. My dog stays pretty close except for when he hears a rooster taunting him and then he cant help himself and he takes off. He put him up pretty far out so no shot but we were able to find him again. Flushed him close where I then proceeded to miss him twice going across an open field...[rolleyes] Got lucky as he didn't go far and we followed him for a third flush and I finally knocked him down. Scout had to chase him and put the chomp on him. He says I can't shoot for shit and I think he may be right...[smile]
IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg IMG_3407.jpg

Birds gullet was full of those small orange berries. Honeysuckle? Bittersweet? Not sure what you call it but he had been feeding on it and definitely living off the land as a pen raised critter. And BTW, the ticks are worse right now than they have been all year so be sure to check your cracks and crevices and your dog...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom