2015 Hunting Megathread

You can always call the town and ask.. Put the matter to bed rather quickly. Call the town planner and ask if there is an ordinance that prohibits hunting there. If not - you're good to go. Sometimes the anti(s) put up signs to push us off of a piece of land. Call the town and find out for sure. If it's not forbidden and/or they can't provide you the ordnance that would ban it - then you're good to go.

If the town representative tells you no make sure that you ask for it, or see it, in writing. Anti's are everywhere. Trust but verify.

I have seen hunters put up signs as well to create a little preserve for themselves and their friends.

Bob

FullSizeRender (4).jpg FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Shot this guy friday night! It was a bit windy so hearing movement was a little hard to catch, he came in with about 2 mins left of shooting light I didn't hear him until he was 20 yards away rubbing a small hemlock...he then crunched on some acorns, stopped and smelled the tree I put evercalm on and then shot him at 8 yards!

View attachment 149987 View attachment 149988

Shot this guy friday night! It was a bit windy so hearing movement was a little hard to catch, he came in with about 2 mins left of shooting light I didn't hear him until he was 20 yards away rubbing a small hemlock...he then crunched on some acorns, stopped and smelled the tree I put evercalm on and then shot him at 8 yards!

Very nice little 8 pt! Good genes there!

Bummed out. Was up in my stand this morning and was busted by a nice 6 pointer (maybe an 8 but cant be certain)....

I was in my stand on a hill that has a small brook 15 yards below it. The 6 pointer came up behind me from the brook, so by the time I realized he had come up, he was already 15 yards to my right rear. He had two 4 point spikes following behind him.

I had 2 things working against me from the get go- the ground is still damp in the area they came from, so they didnt make any sound, and Coming from behind me put me higher than them, so I was in his view.

Directly in front of me was some real thick shit (the prime shooting lanes were to my left and right) so I didn't want to wait too long for the 6 pointer to move forward as the spikes would have surly spooked as I stood- or I would potentially not have had a shot through the thick stuff on the 6 pointer if I waited for the spikes to move forward further.

He got 10 yards and tucked his head in behind a tree (still at a rear facing angle from me), so I tried slowly standing. As I was in a crouch position his head came out making direct contact with me so I froze. 5 mins later, and lots of leg burn, I slowly tried to straighten up by keeping my back to the tree, but he spooked and took off. I should have ****ing waited!!!!!

Im not entirely sure if he straight saw me, or if I made sound. He didnt grunt or snort, rather just jog up the hill (same with the two spikes). I waited awhile and watched as the hung out 80 yards away for a moment and then mozzie on forward away from me.

I guess there is always tomorrow and im sure I would feel worse if I had taken a shot and missed. I just hate watching a buck run off and then debate if the stand is still viable. My hope is that they are young and dumb, too enthralled by the poont to care.

Tough call on what to do next. If he comes back at night he will pick up your scent trail and be gone for a good while. Since he didn't go crashing away he likely will be back. Do you have an idea of where you may have bumped them to? If you know where the alternate bedding is I may try relocating there.

Bummed out. Was up in my stand this morning and was busted by a nice 6 pointer (maybe an 8 but cant be certain)....

I was in my stand on a hill that has a small brook 15 yards below it. The 6 pointer came up behind me from the brook, so by the time I realized he had come up, he was already 15 yards to my right rear. He had two 4 point spikes following behind him.

I had 2 things working against me from the get go- the ground is still damp in the area they came from, so they didnt make any sound, and Coming from behind me put me higher than them, so I was in his view.

Directly in front of me was some real thick shit (the prime shooting lanes were to my left and right) so I didn't want to wait too long for the 6 pointer to move forward as the spikes would have surly spooked as I stood- or I would potentially not have had a shot through the thick stuff on the 6 pointer if I waited for the spikes to move forward further.

He got 10 yards and tucked his head in behind a tree (still at a rear facing angle from me), so I tried slowly standing. As I was in a crouch position his head came out making direct contact with me so I froze. 5 mins later, and lots of leg burn, I slowly tried to straighten up by keeping my back to the tree, but he spooked and took off. I should have ****ing waited!!!!!

Im not entirely sure if he straight saw me, or if I made sound. He didnt grunt or snort, rather just jog up the hill (same with the two spikes). I waited awhile and watched as the hung out 80 yards away for a moment and then mozzie on forward away from me.

I guess there is always tomorrow and im sure I would feel worse if I had taken a shot and missed. I just hate watching a buck run off and then debate if the stand is still viable. My hope is that they are young and dumb, too enthralled by the poont to care.
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me earlier in the season with 3 does. They have a knack for coming in behind on my weak side. I swore to change tactics and wait on moving till the 2nd passes before I hit that convoy.[smile]. There's plenty of season left to get some meat back on table with or without bone.

Not the big six pointer from yesterday, but I'll take it. 7 points.

bck.jpg

Attachments

• 20151105_084616.jpg
    20151105_084616.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sir_Gawain, what time today?

I have things to do today so I am not heading but am wondering if this weather is keeping most deer laying low until evening time.

They are not laying low either. I saw 7 deer today. This guy and a little 4pt spike were chasing does all around me. Get out if you can, great pre rut action.

I may try for a early afternoon till sunfall sit tomorrow. It just seems this weather may be throwing them off a little bit but maybe other people are in a better spot's than me[smile]

Snuck out for quick pheasant hunt with the grandson, who's never been out hunting. He got to witness the dogs working, and enjoy some scenery he rarely gets to see. When I asked why he wanted to go along, he replied, "I thought it'd be relaxing." He had a good time, and didn't even touch his phone. Not bad for a 15 y.o., these days.

Last edited:
Great to get your grandson in the field!

I also grabbed some time yesterday afternoon to hunt some birds for a bit.

My 17 year old is done with HS soccer so I texted him as he was getting out of school to see if he wanted to go.
He has not had much time to hunt due to sports, school and his PT job.

I was disappointed when he texted me back saying he couldn't go...
But also a little proud....He couldn't go because he had already made plans and committed to go fishing with his friend.
My wife said he was in the door, grabbed some snacks and his gear and was gone. He came in around dark saying they'd each caught 5-6 decent bass.
Happy to see him recognizing the chance to get outside in this nice weather and stay off the damn Xbox...

So scout and I went out and sweated (almost too hot to hunt!) until we chased one up...

IMG_3435.jpg

going back out again tomorrow morning. its been a rough season for me. set is perfect, i did my homework. about a mile from me is where most people check for deer by an apple tree and i found the run they use to hi-tail it outta there. set up along a brook crossing that is one of two safe crossing points thats not a waterfall, this being the higher one up the mountain. missed a bruiser on opening day and didnt see anything that following saturday, havent been able to get there since. hopefully hes still chasing the 6 does that brought him through.

ps there was a 300+ lb bear on opening day as well and since the season is open again, maybe he will trot through again.

Nothing today except sweaty cloths and amazed I needed the AC on in the van in November. Really hope things turn around soon.

Back
Top Bottom