2015 Hunting Megathread

Put up two pheasants in Southampton. Hit the first and passed on the second, finding dead birds without a dog is tough. Got help finding my bird by a guy and his young son, so I put them onto "my" other bird. Us dogless guys gotta stick together.

Put up two pheasants in Southampton. Hit the first and passed on the second, finding dead birds without a dog is tough. Got help finding my bird by a guy and his young son, so I put them onto "my" other bird. Us dogless guys gotta stick together.

Going out with my cousin tommorrow AM "dog less". Can't wait.

Wish i I knew someone with a good bird dog. My golden would shit herself if I fired my shotgun near her. For god sake, the trash can scares her sometimes.

Wish i I knew someone with a good bird dog. My golden would shit herself if I fired my shotgun near her. For god sake, the trash can scares her sometimes.
This. My folks own a golden and, I hate this goddamned name, a goldendoodle. They'd lose their minds if a .22 went off near them, let alone a 12 ga.

There're methods you can use to develop a gun dog, or cure one that's gun shy. It can take patience, but it's learned behavior like most anything else. My wife's foofy little couch loving Cocker is now a pheasant hunting machine.

Did not see anything this morning except the ground coming at me very fast when I went face first out of my track chair.

Nice footage Arlow. I see you had your rattle antlers and grunt tube with you. Do you use them this time of year?

Yes I rattled a couple times very lightly today. Wont hit em hard till after next week or so. Once I start seeing bucks following does on my cameras it is time to make it loud. I use the grunt mostly if I see a buck that is not coming my way to try and turn him.

Dude. Your okay I hope. What happened.

Just very tired and my back hurts worse than normal. I just went over a log that must have been bigger than I thought and when I crested the top my momentum just took me and the chair for a ride.

Let this doe and yearling live this morning. It was a brisk 17 degrees when I climbed into my stand at 5:45 am
Great video. I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat. I have a dedicated doe and yearling on my camera all the time. I'm waiting/hoping to see what's out there helping to make the yearlings I see every year.

Went into the woods Archery opener with big buck on the mind only to walk out with this guy. 17lbs, 1" spurs, 10.75" beard. He was about 40 yards away and got him in to about 10 yards under me.
Very chilly morning but was fun nonetheless.

Did my first pheasant hunt today. Really enjoyed it. Looking fwd to the next.

Friend brought his bird dog and was able to flush 2 birds up for us.

I got two shots at the first hen but missed both. Need to get some skeet/trap practice in.

Thanks, its a mint Belgium made 20 gauge thats been in the family since new, so mint I'm nervous about taking it in the woods but thats what it was made for!

My dads got his Belgium "Sweet 16" from 1968. The thing is absolutely flawless.

He refuses to let anyone (including himself) shoot it. It's his pride and joy.

My dads got his Belgium "Sweet 16" from 1968. The thing is absolutely flawless.

He refuses to let anyone (including himself) shoot it. It's his pride and joy.
I picked up a mint light 12 last year. 1969 with not a mark on it. I shoot the hell out of that gun at the trap range and now hunting. I treat it well but it will show some wear by the time its handed down to my son. But the wear marks will be memories. Ive seen many examples of auto 5s and the late 60s ones seem to have the best blueing and finish on the wood than other years for some reason.

Man, all these birds down is getting me antsy. My first hunt of the year (aka my first hunt ever) just got canceled for Saturday. Looks like Halloween will be my first trip out for birds. Trying to decide between Bolton Flats and Westborough.

Thanks, its a mint Belgium made 20 gauge thats been in the family since new, so mint I'm nervous about taking it in the woods but thats what it was made for!
They just gain character. They are great guns and indestructable.

Man, all these birds down is getting me antsy. My first hunt of the year (aka my first hunt ever) just got canceled for Saturday. Looks like Halloween will be my first trip out for birds. Trying to decide between Bolton Flats and Westborough.

Avoid Westboro on any Saturday, at least for first thing in the am. Especially for your first hunt.
You may get a shot at a bird but you'll spend most of your time listening to those beeping dog collars, guys screaming at their dogs and ducking birdshot coming through the hedgerow at you....You may find it exciting but for a 1st timer it may not be what you had hoped for.

Avoid Westboro on any Saturday, at least for first thing in the am. Especially for your first hunt.
You may get a shot at a bird but you'll spend most of your time listening to those beeping dog collars, guys screaming at their dogs and ducking birdshot coming through the hedgerow at you....You may find it exciting but for a 1st timer it may not be what you had hoped for.
Thanks for the tip. Bolton Flats it is!

Back
Top Bottom