2015 Hunting Megathread

How is it hunting with a flushing breed and pointing breed? Do they work in concert?

This was their fist day in the field this season. They were a little rusty, but yes, they do. They typically keep aware of each other, and will notice if the other gets birdy. If the pointer locks up, the Cocker will bust in. Being that they're getting a little older, their pace has slowed a bit though. I don't mind that.

image.jpg

Got out this AM for some coyote action.

Had a group of three wander in to the field 30 minutes after getting there. I either spooked them when I tried calling them in closer or they winded me. Whatever it was they left quickly. Saw nothing else for rest of morning.

Really need a electronic caller.

View attachment 149275

Had a group of three wander in to the field 30 minutes after getting there. I either spooked them when I tried calling them in closer or they winded me. Whatever it was they left quickly. Saw nothing else for rest of morning.

A Bluetooth speaker and one of the many free apps is an inexpensive way to get started.

Bob

Struck out from the stand today. When I got down to change locations at lunch time I didn't see any fresh sign on the way to site #2. No rubs, no scrapes, no fresh tracks, and scat that was about 2 weeks old. Going to have to mix it up.

Shot my first banded duck in about 20 years yesterday.

Code:
Date	08/15/2013
Species	Mallard
Age	HATCHED IN 2012 OR EARLIER
Sex	MALE
Location  7 W TROIS-PISTOLES, QUEBEC, CANADA

drake.jpg

I Had a chance to get out for a short hunt the other afternoon.

We were working some thick nasty stuff when we heard something thrashing around in the middle of a briar tangle. It was so loud I expected to see a deer come hopping out. Dog went charging in and chases out a big rooster....right at me.

This bird fought his way through the prickers got airborne and flew right for me. A damn Kamikaze attack bird. If I wasn't busy ducking I could have swatted him with my gun barrel. A tennis racket would have been bird down...!

He came by me, eye to eye with nice bright colors.

Once I recovered and turned he was going through the trees arcing away and I proceeded to miss with both barrels of my Red Label. I'm not sure but I think I saw a suicide vest strapped to that bird's chest.....

Scout gave me the usual cold shoulder for a while after missing the bird. [smile]

dog IMG_3351 (2).jpg

I Had a chance to get out for a short hunt the other afternoon.

We were working some thick nasty stuff when we heard something thrashing around in the middle of a briar tangle. It was so loud I expected to see a deer come hopping out. Dog went charging in and chases out a big rooster....right at me.

This bird fought his way through the prickers got airborne and flew right for me. A damn Kamikaze attack bird. If I wasn't busy ducking I could have swatted him with my gun barrel. A tennis racket would have been bird down...!

He came by me, eye to eye with nice bright colors.

Once I recovered and turned he was going through the trees arcing away and I proceeded to miss with both barrels of my Red Label. I'm not sure but I think I saw a suicide vest strapped to that bird's chest.....

Scout gave me the usual cold shoulder for a while after missing the bird. [smile]

View attachment 149457

HAHAHA been there done that a few times, I swear the look I got from the dog was more like "that's it give me the gun you idiot!"

View attachment 149275

No caller? What is bringing them into the field?

Back
Top Bottom