2 LEO Encounter in 1 day

Okay...I don't like the fact that the officer's kid was with her when she made the inquiry, and as for business attire, she is an investigator, although flats are usually better to wear than high heels.

She was responding to a "shots fired" call. Remember that this was a response, not an investigation initiated by the police.

You can do whatever you wish in the future, but the fact remains that the same people may call when you shoot again. Don't blame the police for this situation. In this instance the police was doing its job (collective noun singular tense sounds awkward but I believe correct). The police department did not question your right to shoot on private property.

Mark056

Heels & daughter on a gun call?

Either the dept "knows" the person that called in is a crackpot or the town is sleepy enough they really weren't concerned.

[Obligatory Salacious Comment]

Was the mother hot? Any pictures?

So the real underlying comment is why do people who move into a rural area try to turn it into the city/suburbs that they left?

The part that I find disturbing is that most sheeple automatically equate gunfire with illegal activity. "OMG someone is shooting a gun - it couldn't possibly be legit."

Correct... she was simply offering advise as to how to save everyone time and effort in the future. When they receive a call for someone shooting how are they to know if you have permission to shoot on the property you are on until after they respond.

A simple courtesy call saves them and you the time it takes to figure it out.

Exactly.

Local PDs have to respond when they get reports of gunshots, unless they know ahead of time what is going on and can explain to the person making the report.

You have to look at the other side. If the police didn't respond and someone was actually getting shot at, there would be hell to pay for the PD.

Sounds like most of you have been in the city too long. What's wrong with her showing up in heels and with her child?

I'm sure I know the property and the neighborhood (if you can call it that) where this happened. This isn't an area where it is likely to find ganstas practicing thier horizontal hold. This woman is (if I'm right about the town) a part time police officer, I don't believe there are any full time officers there.

She doesn't jump to the conclusion that because someone has a gun, they are going to shoot her as most of you have concluded. If she lives nearby she has heard gunshots on almost a daily basis just by one individual I know who shoots about 1000 rounds a week. She didn't automatically feel she was in danger because there was a gun owner in the area.

Things are different in the Berkshire hilltowns, they are better. I wish I could live in a place like this. If the police department is notified, they will probably, in time, tell the neighbor too bug off and move out if they don't like it.

QUOTE=Neptune Cat;910937]Sounds like most of you have been in the city too long. What's wrong with her showing up in heels and with her child?

I'm sure I know the property and the neighborhood (if you can call it that) where this happened. This isn't an area where it is likely to find ganstas practicing thier horizontal hold. This woman is (if I'm right about the town) a part time police officer, I don't believe there are any full time officers there.[/QUOTE]

Those are absolutely unbelivable statements. The days of Mayberry are long gone. Crimes of violence occur with frequency in bucolic, rural America on a daily basis. A police officer must have the proper mental attitude to respond to a threat. What if the next time shots are fired in the general vicinity, the officer responds with: "oh, it must be the guys shooting again and it is not?"...instead it's someone who has just shot their spouse, or a drug deal gone bad, or someone who has anger management issues who has decided to go on a rampage? That "can't happen here" attitude is precisely the kind of attitude that gets LEO's killed.

I am not saying that she should have gone in with full body armor and an assault weapon, but her child had no business going on the call...period.

I take it that you don't bother to CCW or have a weapon around because you are very safe there, and things are different than in the city. I'll ask you this question: Do you carry a concealed weapon, and if you answer yes...then why? After all things aren't the same in the Berkshires as they are in Boston or Springfield...seems a tad hypocritical to me or are you merely trying to be the "good ole boy" and gloat that you live in your version of paradise and the rest of us are urban drones?

Back in the 1930's the United States Army General Staff concluded that airplanes couldn't sink battleships and that such an event could never happen. It's the same idea here.

If I seem a bit harsh...I gotta tell you that you really pushed my buttons today. The kind of world-view you are expousing is exactly the kind that gets police officers and others killed.

Mark056

Last edited:
Those are absolutely unbelivable statements. The days of Mayberry are long gone. Crimes of violence occur with frequency in bucolic, rural America on a daily basis. A police officer must have the proper mental attitude to respond to a threat. What if the next time shots are fired in the general vicinity, the officer responds with: "oh, it must be the guys shooting again and it is not?"...instead it's someone who has just shot their spouse, or a drug deal gone bad, or someone who has anger management issues who has decided to go on a rampage? That "can't happen here" attitude is precisely the kind of attitude that gets LEO's killed.

I am not saying that she should have gone in with full body armor and an assault weapon, but her child had no business going on the call...period.

I take it that you don't bother to CCW or have a weapon around because you are very safe there, and things are different than in the city. I'll ask you this question: Do you carry a concealed weapon, and if you answer yes...then why? After all things aren't the same in the Berkshires as they are in Boston or Springfield...seems a tad hypocritical to me or are you merely trying to be the "good ole boy" and gloat that you live in your version of paradise and the rest of us are urban drones?

Back in the 1930's the United States Army General Staff concluded that airplanes couldn't sink battleships and that such an event could never happen. It's the same idea here.

If I seem a bit harsh...I gotta tell you that you really pushed my buttons today. The kind of world-view you are expousing is exactly the kind that gets police officers and others killed.

Mark056

[rolleyes]Not wear full body amor? You must be one of those people who walk around Boston without full body amor. What's the problem with you man, are you crazy? Do you think it's not possible to get hit with a stray bullet in Boston right in the chest?

I am well protected when I can be but I don't carry an extra 100 rounds because I might need them. I also don't think everyone with a gun is a scary bad guy. That would make a day at the range hell.

I don't hold others prisoner to my hypotheticals. Which is exactly what you've done to this woman who was ivestigating a situation you know nothing about, in an area you know nothing about. And, she may well have been armed.

[rolleyes]Not wear full body amor? You must be one of those people who walk around Boston without full body amor. What's the problem with you man, are you crazy? Do you think it's not possible to get hit with a stray bullet in Boston right in the chest?

I am well protected when I can be but I don't carry an extra 100 rounds because I might need them. I also don't think everyone with a gun is a scary bad guy. That would make a day at the range hell.

I don't hold others prisoner to my hypotheticals. Which is exactly what you've done to this woman who was ivestigating a situation you know nothing about, in an area you know nothing about. And, she may well have been armed.

I believe (or at least hope) that anyone who is involved in LE or the military or otherwise is engaged in some way with the profession of arms (I plead guilty on both counts 11yrs with the MSP as civilian support staff, 20yrs US Army) subscribes to the idea that while it is impossible to try to prepare against all threats (one can easily go into overthink mode) one should have a degree of preparation and a certain mental attitude. Taking a child to a call is simply not a good procedure, nor is wearing high heels. These are simple protocols that are generally followed (although high heels are frequently worn).

I am not suggesting that anyone become paranoid and carry an extra hundred rounds with them, but certainly taking a few common sense precautions tends to minimize Murphy's Law which will be invoked in the most unlikely situations. I know of no police officer who is such a mentalist that they know with 100 percent accuracy that they have is a routine call. They may know their patrol area, they may know the demographics of the general area, and can to a high degree anticipate response, (in fact knowing the community is a key essential in the effective community policing model) but miscaculation can lead to tragedy. There is also the issue of habit. If an officer takes their child with them to a call and also wears high heels, who is to say that other little habits develop, such as: "my gun's heavy, I think I'll leave it in the trunk of my car". (I'm serious here as most LEOs are not gun people and for them a firearm is just another accessory like a flashlight or a pen, sometimes firearms are regarded as more of a nusiance than anything else).

I think I know where you are coming from, we don't want to overreact but what we have here are simply two items that simply aren't good practice...no harm, no foul on that day...but what about another day? Complacency is what frequently gets people killed in
the line of duty.

Mark056

Exactly.

Local PDs have to respond when they get reports of gunshots, unless they know ahead of time what is going on and can explain to the person making the report.

You have to look at the other side. If the police didn't respond and someone was actually getting shot at, there would be hell to pay for the PD.

I think they would respond in any case, unless / until they personally got to know the shooter, which in a place that that is very possible.

Think about for a moment.

Say some gang member, Charles Witherspoon of the Bloods decides to waste a member of the Cryps, Alvin Beasley. (trying to be acused of profiling with names)

They pick a spot, kidnap Alvin, call the police in Pittsfield to say they would be target shooting on private property with permission of the property owner. They go an off Alvin, neighbor complains and the police don't check it out.

Exaggerations for effect.

A courtesy call saying you'll be shooting w/ permission is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if they check on you until they get used to you and know you. Maybe next time she'll come and target shoot with you. If she has a 10yo daughter AND is wearing heels, she is obviously single again [shocked]

I think they would respond in any case, unless / until they personally got to know the shooter, which in a place that that is very possible.

Think about for a moment.

Say some gang member, Charles Witherspoon of the Bloods decides to waste a member of the Cryps, Alvin Beasley. (trying to be acused of profiling with names)

They pick a spot, kidnap Alvin, call the police in Pittsfield to say they would be target shooting on private property with permission of the property owner. They go an off Alvin, neighbor complains and the police don't check it out.

Exaggerations for effect.

A courtesy call saying you'll be shooting w/ permission is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if they check on you until they get used to you and know you. Maybe next time she'll come and target shoot with you. If she has a 10yo daughter AND is wearing heels, she is obviously single again [shocked]

While I understand the scenario you are trying to create here, we are talking about a situation in which the OP would be engaging in the same activity repeatedly over time. Sounds like he has already. So if the OP would communicate with the police, he would become known, and the situation would play out differently.

I am aware of similar situations in MA where someone just notifies the local PD when target shooting is about to start, and then the PD just deals with complaints accordingly.

NO police Department is going to blow off a shots fired call in this day and age. Gaurentedd they will respond if called again. Your on a slippery slope. I dont know the town your in, but these people who call probably are the same type that would try and get a by-law passed prohibiting shooting. This same thing happened in my hometown and the town next to it. God I hate nimbys

Well, I don't know about down in Mass, but up my way, in some towns, it's normal protocol to give the local PD a courtesy call to let them know you'r egoing to be shooting.

Then when they get the complaint from the usual nimby, they can politely tell them to go pound sand.

Yes, that is EXACTLY why they want the call up my way, and probably why they want it there.

I'm wagering that the officer showing up in heels and with the kid is an indicator they had been down this "highway" with the complaining party before. That's my uptake from it. After all, after she did the obligatory checks, she just asked you to call in before hand the next time. That tells me the PD has ZERO problem with it, but would have to investigate, short of the call.

And, yes, I have had local officers even almost take us up on the offer to join us.

Of course, I don't live in Mass, but western Mass is more like rural Vermont than it is like eastern Mass, other than the state laws. Whole different mindset, even the local cops.

Beat me to it...the "cop in high heals" things got me interested.

But what if the cop is a hot chick with a hot keister? Can ya kiss it then? [rockon]
Especially since she's probably got handcuffs with her, too... Maybe the OP'll get lucky and next time she'll leave her 10 year old at home. [smile]

While I understand the scenario you are trying to create here, we are talking about a situation in which the OP would be engaging in the same activity repeatedly over time. Sounds like he has already. So if the OP would communicate with the police, he would become known, and the situation would play out differently.

I am aware of similar situations in MA where someone just notifies the local PD when target shooting is about to start, and then the PD just deals with complaints accordingly.

btw, I meant to say:
trying NOT to be acused of profiling with names

Yes. I was saying the first time you make the courtesy call, and maybe on the 2nd 3rd and 4th, the local PD will still check on you. Depending on your manner and the nature of the town, once they come to know you they won't check.

Just don't expect NOT to be checked on the first few times you play nice and let them know, that's all I meant.

What's wrong with her showing up in heels and with her child?

Taking a child to a call is simply not a good procedure, nor is wearing high heels.

I agree with you Mark. I read about a small town cop who responded to one of the "usual" calls (this was in the past 4-5 years or so) and left his son in the front seat of his cruiser while he went into the house. A male suspect in the house punched him several times in the chest, and after the cop cuffed him, he staggered out onto the porch where he collapsed and died in front of his son.

Most calls are routine for cops. Very little of them involve any actual danger or use of force. But the fact of the matter is, cops do a dangerous job in fluid situations where anything can happen.

I can't think of a situation where fighting for your life in high heels with your kid watching is a good idea.

I am calling BS on this whole story unless this question is answered.[laugh]

Amen brother...An older overweight French Canadian just came up to the Lodge Counter asking in broken English where swimsuits were. He stereotypically left the store with a Speedo...[shocked]

I need confirmation that this LEO was hot, or I'm not sure I can go on....

Mark056 is not completely right in saying that the Berkshires aren't as bad as Springfield or Boston. Just in Pittsfield specifically, there have been 10 to 15 shootings and a couple dozen stabbings in the last 6 months.

The best way to put it is that the "gangstas" in the Berkshires are not as skilled with their aim as the "gangstas" in Springfield and Boston. That is going by what I figure is a much higher homicide rate because there have been no actual fatalities in the Berkshires(in the last 6 months, if I remember right). Just alot of wounds.

If you go to Cheshire, I am told that LTC's are handed out like candy. The crime rate there is pretty low.

Female-Cops-in-Hebron-w.jpg

piazza-venezia-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be mean to the responding officer she was middle age and had a child. She was not like the young ladies in any of those pictures. So no, she is not.

To clarify my family has ben harvesting firewood in this area for more than 10 years and I personaly have ben shooting in these woods for over 5 years. I have never had an LEO incident ever. This is the same area where I held the shoot for my bachelor party with 10 guys all shooting for over 4 hours. I jokingly say that some day people will mine lead out of the berm. To the best of my knowledge no one has moved in or out of that area in the last couple of years.

From the response of the LEO it seemed that she was a part time and that she was coming from her real job, and could/didn't want to leave her child at home. During the whole encounter the daughter didn't leave the car which was left 200 yds up the road out of sight. I didn't see a firearm on the officer(i looked) nor did she ask me to disarm or what I had (22lr, 9mm and 12g). I think her reaction was tempered by my saying, "here's my LTC". Yes the hilltowns are different from Boston, Springfield, and the Pitts, however I thought she was a local walking up to me at first not a LEO. I was preparing myself for something entirly different.

Back
Top Bottom