2 LEO Encounter in 1 day

Two weeks ago I had two LEO interactions in one day. I'll start with the one I didn't start on purpose.

I went out shooting with a friend on private property owned by close family friends. It is and area that has and continues to be dug out for gravel and fill. This has created a berm that is over 30' tall for 300yds wide and has a max range of 120yds. There are a few homes near the area but they are 1000+ yds behind and to our right as we shoot. We were asked by one of the closest homes to stop in when we come up. I don't mind this because they asked nicely and are going to be getting their LTCs and asked if they could shoot with us.

We arrived and saw a couple local kids as we walked in (loggers blocked the road). Said hi and thought nothing of it. We were shooting for about an hour and a woman called out to us and asked if we had seen her child. I called back that we saw a boy on the way in but that had ben it. She said ok and then left. We worked our way through a box of clay pigeons and 150 rds of 9mm. and decided that it was time to go home and get food.

As we were loading the car back up I saw a woman in business dress clothes and heels walking down the overgrown "road" where we had parked. She asked, "Were you guys out shooting?" I replied that we were. She started to ask if we had FIDs. At this point my curiosity as to who she was and why she wanted to know must have shown in my face, because she announced she was local PD. She showed me her ID and I showed her my LTC. She then asked if she could have my DL and took my plate info. I questioned her why she needed all of this info, and she replied that they had gotten several calls about gun shots in the woods. I told her we knew the property owners and had permission. She took my IDs, while I finished packing the car and drove up to the real road.

She let me know, with a smile, that I didn't have any arrest warrants out in my name. I told her that I had never had an incident like this and I have ben shooting up there for over 5 years. I even told her that we let the folks next door know when we come up. She let it slip that it was their neighbors who had called. Apparently in the two hours that we were shooting several calls were placed, and she was the only officer who could respond (she had her 10 yo daughter sitting in her car), and she was coming from her regular job. She said that a situation like this could be avoided in the future if I called the PD and let them know I was shooting. [angry] I was a gentleman, [smile] and said oh sure. At this point we went our separate ways.

I was furious on the drive home, being asked to report my lawful activity on private property. After cooling down a little I have determined my course of action. Next time I throw lead balls around in the woods I will go to the PD and let them know that I will be engaging in lawful activity where and when I please. I would also mention that it could be considered harassment if this citizen continued to call the PD. Never mind that it is wasting the valuable time of their LEOs. I am and will be a gentleman; however I will not be harassed.

Now for the less exciting LEO encounter. I went into the Pittsfield PD and got my restrictions removed. The card just showed up today!!!!!!

A cop in High Heels answering a gun call with her kid with her.Now I have heard it all.What would they do if you were bad guys?

I would have told her in no uncertain terms that so long as I am on private property and violating no law, the neighbors can go to hell and that I would not seek premission or approval from her or anyone else.

60buckscash, Pittsfield? Me too ... glad Chief Wynn lifted your restrictions...I was wondering what his stance would be on the LTCs. I would be interested to know where you were shooting (not specifics...just the town) because I don't know why she would show up to a potential gun call dressed like that. I know I wouldn't want to...even though it was most likely just some people like me having some good, clean, LAWFUL fun. Feel free to PM me if you don't want it out there.

Glad to have another Westie on here.

Why don't the cops go to the people who made the call and say that you were legally allowed to be there and they should mind their own business. This isn't the center of town I assume?

I would have told her in no uncertain terms that so long as I am on private property and violating no law, the neighbors can go to hell and that I would not seek premission or approval from her or anyone else.

That is the attitude behind my visit to the PD Office. However I will be a gentleman. Sometimes gentlemen need to call the PD to file harassment claims.

This is 2 hilltowns east of Pittsfield. She said she was the only officer of 3 that the town has. Glad I always carry when i'm out there.

Last edited:

Why?

If I interpret the story accurately, the lady PO wasn't demanding anything, just offering a suggestion as to how to avoid a situation arising out of potential ambiguity and a number of 911 calls.

There was a time when some of my people had to engage in activities that could be misinterpreted by folks. (Think of it as high end repo.) We had a perfect legal right to be doing what we were doing, and we neither needed nor sought local PD permission. Nonetheless, we always stopped in to the station before beginning an operation just to let the watch commander know what we were doing, so that if (or when) they started receiving calls, they'd have an idea why. Didn't hurt and on many occasions obviated what might have been a tense situation.

Why don't the cops go to the people who made the call and say that you were legally allowed to be there and they should mind their own business. This isn't the center of town I assume?

Most likely because, before they investigated the source of the shots, they would have had no way of determining what you're suggesting should have been reported.

A cop in High Heels answering a gun call with her kid with her.Now I have heard it all.What would they do if you were bad guys?

No kidding. Was she even armed?

Is shooting in the woods legal activity? Definitely, and I've done similar things myself, it doesn't bother me one bit. But it doesn't seem like a good idea to me to bring your kid to the "mulitple shots fired in the middle of the woods" call.

Most likely because, before they investigated the source of the shots, they would have had no way of determining what you're suggesting should have been reported.

I meant afterwards. Tell the neighbors, who BTW are likely new, that there is a ad hoc shooting range there on private property.

There is nothing ungentlemanly about telling someone that you will not bend over for them as if they were royalty nor will you kiss their keyster.

Why?

If I interpret the story accurately, the lady PO wasn't demanding anything, just offering a suggestion as to how to avoid a situation arising out of potential ambiguity and a number of 911 calls.

There was a time when some of my people had to engage in activities that could be misinterpreted by folks. (Think of it as high end repo.) We had a perfect legal right to be doing what we were doing, and we neither needed nor sought local PD permission. Nonetheless, we always stopped in to the station before beginning an operation just to let the watch commander know what we were doing, so that if (or when) they started receiving calls, they'd have an idea why. Didn't hurt and on many occasions obviated what might have been a tense situation.

Correct... she was simply offering advise as to how to save everyone time and effort in the future. When they receive a call for someone shooting how are they to know if you have permission to shoot on the property you are on until after they respond.

A simple courtesy call saves them and you the time it takes to figure it out.

Correct... she was simply offering advise as to how to save everyone time and effort in the future. When they receive a call for someone shooting how are they to know if you have permission to shoot on the property you are on until after they respond.

A simple courtesy call saves them and you the time it takes to figure it out.

Exactly.

Some officers hate having to go check up even when they know in all probability it is nothing illegal. Something similar happened with me and a friend on his grandpa's farm. We shot pretty regular there, and after a bit he just asked for us to call in just so he doesn't have to come out here to investigate a 'shooting' complaint.

Some may see it as an infringement on their right to shoot. I, personally, don't see it that way. This happened to me before, and the officer at the time just stressed it was a courtesy so they didn't have to go out there at all.

But in today's age of heavy development the sound of gunfire may not be as innocuous as it once was.

I wouldn't take my kid to a public urination call out let alone a shots fired one.

Shouldn't DHS investigate to determine if she is too stupid to have kids?

B

Back
Top Bottom