+2 Extension on Preban G17 Mag

MaverickNH

NES Member
Sorry - I'm sure it's been asked and the answer is likely "maybe", but:

-Can I add a +2 extension on a Preban G17 mag and not violate the MA-AWB?

OK - I figured out how to use Google Advanced Search and found the answer.

It is NO, as adding a +2 it construed as manufacturing a new mag.

As I have understood it, adding capacity to a pre ban high capacity mag is OK. this is because you are not manufacturing a new high capacity feeding device. If you modified a preban low capacity or new low capacity device, it is a NO GO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This never existed. Low cap is low cap, no pre or post ban status. Don't mixed it up.

I know the difference. The only reason I put it this way, when this question came up before someone was under the impression that any magazine prior to the ban is a pre ban mag, and it can be extended, which is obviously not the case. It has to be a pre ban high cap to be extended to a larger capacity to avoid the charge of manufacturing a high cap device.

OK - I figured out how to use Google Advanced Search and found the answer.

It is NO, as adding a +2 it construed as manufacturing a new mag.

No, you're wrong. Once a mag is beyond that bar (eg, it's preban and its large capacity) it doesn't matter whether it holds 11 rounds or 111- it can be modified to do whatever you want with it as long as it still functions in the original gun it was intended for,, at least this is the way the feds treated the issue. This is not producing a new magazine because you still only have one magazine in the end.

-Mike

Not as much me being wrong as those that gave advice in a 2009 thread.

Eh - so much for searching old threads...

On a similar topic, (if you were also not sure of the answer on this one) You can use preban magazines in postban firearms. I actually had an FFL dealer tell me I couldn't use a preban AR mag in a postban rifle. [rolleyes]

On a similar topic, (if you were also not sure of the answer on this one) You can use preban magazines in postban firearms. I actually had an FFL dealer tell me I couldn't use a preban AR mag in a postban rifle. [rolleyes]

Hunters probably.

wow. who was that? [rofl]

I've been told that numerous dealers and instructors have been giving out this mis-information over the past number of years. Probably a bunch of LEOs believe it as well. Tons of mis-information out there. I make a point of addressing this issue in my MA gun laws seminar.

wow. who was that? [rofl]

Yea please tell us.

Archer Arms in Carver. He's actually a real nice guy, he's just a little uninformed on certain subjects I've noticed.

Once he told me that a Colt 1903 .32acp Pocket Hammerless he had in his display case was not C&R eligible. I tried to tell him that the last CPH's were made in 1945 but he insisted the model he had was made in the 60's or 70's. (Hint: there were none at all made after 1945)

Like I said besides the misinformation he's not a bad guy. I just take my business to Acme instead.

No, you're wrong. Once a mag is beyond that bar (eg, it's preban and its large capacity) it doesn't matter whether it holds 11 rounds or 111- it can be modified to do whatever you want with it as long as it still functions in the original gun it was intended for,, at least this is the way the feds treated the issue. This is not producing a new magazine because you still only have one magazine in the end.

-Mike

Mike,

I think in 2010 Guida said something to the effect that if you use a mag coupler to connect 2 mag bodies, it was a new mag. I don't remember the details. Not so obvious to some is the simple fact that his words have NO weight of law. They are his opinion. Period. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I really don't understand why people ask him these questions, knowing full well what his answer will be. Better to leave it vague.

I just read the above-referenced thread.

I totally disagree (but IANAL) with Jason's interpretation back then. Since TTBOMK it has never been adjudicated in a MA court, and being convinced that the judges are corrupt, it would be a crap-shoot. However, IIRC during the Fed Ban, BATFE may well have made it clear that adding to an already pre-ban mag as long as it still fit the same gun it was designed for, did not create a new illegal large-cap mag.

+1 to extensions on pre bans being okay, given that the mag functions in the same gun. I think about it in reverse, even if you take away capacity (i.e. block the mag to 15 instead of 17) nothing has been intrinsically altered. The magazine is still high capacity (as in more than 10 rounds), you still only have one mag, and it works in the same firearm. Also, I see high capacity as a 10 round limitation -- not a 20 round, not a 30 round, not a 1000 round limitation... 10 rounds.

Nobody's ever even defined what the actual mag is.

Is it the tube? Is it the follower.

What if you damage your tube and install the old springs, base plate, and follower?
Sure you could ask Guida, but it would have no weight of law.

As far as I know there is not statutory or case law around this.

Mike,

I think in 2010 Guida said something to the effect that if you use a mag coupler to connect 2 mag bodies, it was a new mag. I don't remember the details. Not so obvious to some is the simple fact that his words have NO weight of law. They are his opinion. Period. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I really don't understand why people ask him these questions, knowing full well what his answer will be. Better to leave it vague.

Well, if we're gonna throw Guida and Gliddenisms, into the mix, then all bets are pretty much off. [laugh] In that realm, anything is possible, but it would be like suggesting that the Denver Nuggets were going to be the next NBA champions.

Determining "prosecutorial tenor" (eg, the tendencies of DA's in applying various firearms charges) in this state is pretty difficult; it's unclear to me the level of influence people like Guida have on DA's and ADA's in MA, and how those people give deference to law enforcement or not WRT application of charges.

Course, if we had an AG that wasn't a waste of space, these questions would actually be answered and people would know where they stand. Obviously an anti like Martha says nothing because it benefits her anti gun agenda, with the key benefit of saying nothing to keep the worrywart gun owners in MA in perpetual fear of their own shadow...and there are a ton of these kind of LTC/FID holders in MA who basically piss their own pants at the sight of anything that looks like it could be fun to shoot, so those kind of tactics are obviously effective, if they weren't, we wouldn't have an endless trove of people asking questions about relatively meaningless things like handgun compliance, or people acting like they just saw a nuclear weapon when they've spotted someone selling an LE marked magazine as "pre ban" at an MA gun show. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Last edited:
Not to thread jack but, What if you want to do the opposite say take a springfield armory xdm 19 round mag use these

http://ebrworks.com/EBR_Works_Exclusives.html

to make it only hold 10 rounds. would this be acceptable? Or is this a gray area?

IANAL and TTBOMK this has never been adjudicated in a court of law. However, if it does't make it PERMANENTLY blocked, I would guess that this would NOT meet the MGL for banned new large-cap mags.

The whole thing is dumb and illegal. It violates the interstate commerce act. plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would think anything that could be put back high cap easily is no good. If you cut off part of the tube and replaced it with a block floorplate like the S&W 10 round M&P mags would probably be ok

Back
Top Bottom