• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911s in MA

Well, I put money down on a Ruger and will be paying it off via layaway. Ruger Night Watchman 5" - I love big, black guns. After that, maybe Rock Island. I've never had a 1911 so we'll see how it goes. Thank you all for the recommendations.... :)

The Ruger is the better pistol so why buy a cheaper one after you already got the better of the two? Buy a nicer one the second time around.

The Guvmint WAS going to release a crapload of older 1911's.

Then Senator John McCain introduced a bill to MELT THEM DOWN.

Next time someone calls him a "WAR HERO", remember he hasn't done a God Damn worthwhile thing for us for over 40 years.

True. Then again, when is the last time you flew combat missions in a jet, in a combat zone, got shot down or suffered for a prolonged period of time as a POW! You know, the walk a mile in his shoes thing.

Last edited:
My two favorite 1911's are both Colts.
A series 70 Gold Cup, and a Jim Clark built long slide.
Those guns are just fun to shoot, and that long slide is a tack driver.
I can't see myself ever letting them go!

My two favorite 1911's are both Colts.
A series 70 Gold Cup, and a Jim Clark built long slide.
Those guns are just fun to shoot, and that long slide is a tack driver.
I can't see myself ever letting them go!

I've got a thing for the Colts too. Maybe when I'm done paying for my Ruger with my bills settled.

ruger 1911 is very basic. I would aim at $1300 range to get a quality 1911

are you serious?

for $1200 i can have a POS kimber that is worth half its cost

for under $1k, a top notch quality Sig 1911. probably my favorite for the price and considering the effects of "the list"

for $600-800, a rock island (armscor) 1911 or remington enhanced model both of which are excellent. i have 1.5k rounds through the RIA and it has been stellar. incredibly accurate and smooth for the cost. the R1 enhanced was also a winner but couldn't justify keeping it so i sold it.

the R1 enhanced is a fine looking gun. i would take it over the ruger any day of the week. the ruger 1911 that i briefly owned suffered from 1. sloppy frame-slide fit, 2) POI was way low which is annoying and 3) the thumb safety was mushy. so the damn thing needed new sights and work right out of the box. no thanks. in fairness this is an n = 1 so i wouldn't take it as "proof" that the rugers are junk. it's just been my experience. take it as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you serious?

for $1200 i can have a POS kimber that is worth half its cost

for under $1k, a top notch quality Sig 1911. probably my favorite for the price and considering the effects of "the list"

for under $700, a rock island (armscor) 1911 or remington enhanced model both of which are excellent. i have 1.5k rounds through the RIA and it has been stellar. incredibly accurate and smooth for the cost. the R1 enhanced was also a winner but couldn't justify keeping it so i sold it.

hmm... how do you know i was talking about kimber?? you , get out my head.

I have shot a few kimbers and they all worked really well. I've shot ruger 1911, not impressed. for ths short money, I love shooting norinco 1911, what a bargain!

Rock island was okay, tried it once or twice. Nothing really stood out. My favor 1911 is actually a custom build 1911. The 1911 with a brand name, I would recommend Les Baer 1911 since I own a few. Colt 1911s are also quite reliable and pleasant to shoot. no experience with sig 1911 so far.

Last edited:
I bought a Colt Mk IV/Series 70 from an NESer who moved up here from PA. It was marked "100 Years of Service", so presumably it was made in 2011. The gun had some issues with feeding, so I had Lou of Business End Customs work on it, and get rid of the MIM parts. It's now not only beautiful, but functionally perfect, 400 rounds later with no malfunctions whatsoever. There's nothing like a Colt.

I bought a Colt Mk IV/Series 70 from an NESer who moved up here from PA. It was marked "100 Years of Service", so presumably it was made in 2011. The gun had some issues with feeding, so I had Lou of Business End Customs work on it, and get rid of the MIM parts. It's now not only beautiful, but functionally perfect, 400 rounds later with no malfunctions whatsoever. There's nothing like a Colt.

Over 3,000 through my S&W with no problems so I guess there is :)

does it say "Colt"? no, I didn't think so. I had an S&W, and it was great, but IMHO it lacks a degree of tradition and history, with its external extractor and such and the fact that S&W isn't spelled C....o....l....t! personal preference, I know [smile]

There is nothing like Lou tuning your 1911 [wink]

Over 3,000 through my S&W with no problems so I guess there is :)

When looking at actual price vs features, cosmetics and fit and finish. I would say the Smith Eseries is one of the best values out there. I paid $780 for my 5" stainless brand new a few months back and you get a lot more for that extra 130 or so bucks than you do over the Ruger..

I have Ruger, Remington and Smith and they are all fine guns and work.

I bought a Colt Combat Elite 1911 in 1986 for $600 new. I still have it and still love it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

does it say "Colt"? no, I didn't think so. I had an S&W, and it was great, but IMHO it lacks a degree of tradition and history, with its external extractor and such and the fact that S&W isn't spelled C....o....l....t! personal preference, I know [smile]

I've got 7 different 1911s, including a Colt Delta Elite. Frankly, I don't understand why people hold Colt in such high esteem. While they built some decent guns, they also built a bunch of crap at times.

My Colt is no better a gun than my Kimbers (Series I) and needed several hundred dollars in parts and gunsmithing to make it usable - real sights, beaver tail grip safety, extended thumb safety. And it definitely is not as good a gun as my Wilson.

I would love to get a 1911 in 10mm, anyone have some suggestions? I was thinking of building one.

Rock Island Armory 10mm tactical FS. Not the fanciest 1911 but sure shoots nice. It did have some hiccups with bullets bumping the slide stop up and causing premature lockup. Also the mainspring felt too weak so I installed a stronger mainspring. Neither problem was major. Once kinks worked out it runs like a beast.

If I were dropping more $$ on a 10mm 1911 I would go with a Dan Wesson Razorback. They're in the $1400 range, but for the quality of build it's an excellent price. again people drop this kind of $$ on a POS kimber.

Or even better, Sig P220 SAO 10mm. smoothest shooting 10mm i've ever fired. this pistol is also built for heavy use. props to Sig for coming out with this.

never owned a colt delta elite so can't speak about it. my understanding is they require a fair amount of work to get running correctly and some contest they're not built for heavy use.

No it doesn't but my colt says c...o...l...t on it.

Looking at this for the Wife, Anyone have one?
View attachment 175844

I have aColt Rail Gun that I bought. Pretty good gun. I shot a Sig scorpion, and I thought it sucked. Friend had a Remington R1 enhanced that was nice. I had 2 SWs that were as solid as the Colt, but the trigger wasn't as nice, but they functioned great. The colt was sent to Greg Derr for some front strap work and some other parts swapped out.

I would sell sell one of my Ed Browns before I sold the Colt.

Maybe a long shot, but can anyone help with a lead on a shop that would sell or transfer a Colt? PM would be appreciated.

If it's an older Colt 1911, most any shop would sell/transfer one of those (Four Seasons has a couple listed on their used guns page for example). But most shops won't transfer a newer Colt like the Colt Competition pistol.

If I was gonna get another 1911 I'd just have Derr build one. Get exactly what you want and it will be one of a kind. Buying an off the shelf cheap 1911 is just going to need a thousand dollars worth of smithing to fix it anyway.

with its external extractor and such
I have heard that this is a factory replacement part because the procedure is to try a few from the bins until one fit nicely.

Compare this to the traditional extractor where you can get replacements from dozens of vendors without any "send in the gun" nonsense, and you can even keep a spare in your range bag.

Back
Top Bottom