1911s in MA

for me, the rock island 1911's are the best budget options. i am a fan. the remington R1 also good for the price. the Ruger SR1911 is decent but I've found too many of them with either sloppy slides or thumb safety detent that is about as firm as a twinky.

Gartman in Wrentham has a good selection of rock island 1911's.

the Sig 1911 is probably my favorite but as M1911 has pointed out the Sig slide profile is an issue for most holsters. I prefer the Sig due to their external extractor design which I have found to be tolerant of any ammo and magazine. the gun just runs and feeds like a champ.

I have been happy with my Remington R1,E over the last two years that I have owned it. If I was buying one today, I'm pretty sure I would buy a Ruger. If I do get another, it would most likely be a Ruger Commander. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Cimmaron 1911 $540.80

Not on Mass Roster - sigh

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1911-semi-automatic-45-acp-5-barrel-parkerized.html

dndjq1.jpg

Last edited:
Also are u looking for one in .45 or 9MM?

I have a Springfield Range Officer that is just a great shooter and never had an issue except 1 time with Blazer Aluminum

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 64
I had the same itch a couple years ago. Like you I was willing to pay for something worth paying for. I ended up with a PC1911 5". It's an awesome pistol. It's not blued. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another S&W variant in blue if that's what I wanted. Real nice blued finished choices seem to me to be limited. Someone here mentioned finding one, that may really be the way to go.

Hell, look at Gun Broker, find an older (pre 93) colt for cheap and get it to Greg Derr and tell him what you want, blued, better trigger, whatever; and he will work harder s magic at a fair price.

I would suggest calling TR Enabling/Remsport over in Ludlow. The guy there does great work. Your getting a full custom forged steel gun all hand fitted forged parts, the caliber you want, the size you want, the finish you want and all the options from railed models to sights. And if you ever have a problem or want to change something you just bring it right over and its fixed right then and there. The prices are very good for what your getting.

IMO high end... preferably all hand fitted is the only way to go.

I got the ruger sr1911. The thing is sweet, it basically has everything you need: big beavertail, series 70 internals, and it comes with good mags. For the price I think its hard to beat. I've used mine for steel challenge, USPSA, IDPA and general plinking, and can make hits on to steel at 100 yards (if I take enough shots).

Anyone have an opinion on the Auto Ordnance?

I was considering one as my first 1911.

Entry level price, and I like the old-school, government issue look.

Also, I believe, American-made?

What is the big difference between something like the Ruger 1911 and some of the far more expensive ones, such as ones on the target roster?
What impact will these differences have for something like bullseye shooting?

The Rock Island and Dan Wesson aren't on the list so those are out unless I can find them through private sale. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Remington R1.

The Rock Island and Dan Wesson aren't on the list so those are out unless I can find them through private sale. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Remington R1.

Rock Island is under Armscor...Many on the list...many more for sale in the stores. [wink]

What is the big difference between something like the Ruger 1911 and some of the far more expensive ones, such as ones on the target roster?

To 95% of shooters nothing. To the other 5% quite a lot.

A properly fit barrel, slide and bushing will increase the mechanical accuracy of the gun. And a good trigger job with a top quality trigger, sear, disconnector and hammer makes it easier to shoot.

A properly fit barrel, slide and bushing will increase the mechanical accuracy of the gun. And a good trigger job with a top quality trigger, sear, disconnector and hammer makes it easier to shoot.

Ok... so is the trigger, and barrel/etc fitting, on the Ruger, or Remington, 1911's any good?

In comparison to .22 bullseye, where would it fall in the spectrum of Ruger MK III < Ruger MK III with VQ kit < S&W 42 < Pardini ?

Anyone have an opinion on the Auto Ordnance?

I was considering one as my first 1911.

Entry level price, and I like the old-school, government issue look.

Also, I believe, American-made?

I have one and I love it! Engraved "Worcester, MA" for manufacturer, but the forgings are Kahr stock from Korea - if that sort of thing bothers you. If that matters to you, go S&W, if not I'm very pleased with the performance out the door. Had Greg Derr work the trigger and I'm really happy with it. It's a great shooter for the money.

Defiantly short list for my next handgun. Still debating between a 1911a1 c&r or a cheap 1911 like a rock island.
I wouldn't mind a double stack instead but how hard is it to get "pre ban" double stack magazines (or does such a thing even exist? For some reason I feel like double stack 1911s are too new)

Last edited:
I have a Sig 1911 and it runs like a champ. I have had zero malfunctions and it will eat any ammo. I will never sell my sig because I adore it that much.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Those new S&W ones are really nice but cost a pretty penny. RIA/Armscor is certainly appealing for the price. Anyone have one and can compare it with a "real" 1911? from what I've read its really just the finish thats tangibly different from the bigger names like springfield. If I wasn't in this stupid state I'd run out and get one of those surplus Hi-Powers but barring me finding a Model 10 or P99 to my liking, RIA seems like a good choice for a carry/nightstand/range gun.

Those new S&W ones are really nice but cost a pretty penny. RIA/Armscor is certainly appealing for the price. Anyone have one and can compare it with a "real" 1911? from what I've read its really just the finish thats tangibly different from the bigger names like springfield. If I wasn't in this stupid state I'd run out and get one of those surplus Hi-Powers but barring me finding a Model 10 or P99 to my liking, RIA seems like a good choice for a carry/nightstand/range gun.

There's more to it then just finish. Some pistols have machined internal parts others have MIM parts, beavertails, checkering, edges being rounded vs sharp etc.

Not only this, but a properly fit gun will last longer while staying just as accurate. Many of the lower/mid range guns start to tear themselves apart pretty quickly.

There's a lot of nice choices out, I love the pics too. BTW, I know I've asked this before and I was told "quarterly" but isn't the updated gun roster overdue? It's still only showing 3/2016. I'd love to see what other 1911s make that list.....

There's a lot of nice choices out, I love the pics too. BTW, I know I've asked this before and I was told "quarterly" but isn't the updated gun roster overdue? It's still only showing 3/2016. I'd love to see what other 1911s make that list.....

I'll post this before Mike (Drgrant) comments: stop worrying about the list![laugh]

Back
Top Bottom