• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911s in MA

Laura

NES Member
I've been hankering to get a 1911 for a while but we're so limited in this state it's pathetic. What option are there for first time buyers of 1911s in this state? I'd like to get a quality gun, something reliable with a good track record. What's out there?

I'm not a fan of ParaOrdnance. SIG has an approved 1911, though most SIG 1911s have a unique slide cut that make them not fit in Kydex holsters designed for standard 1911s.

Remington has a number of approved models, as do S&W and Ruger.

When you look at a 1911, close the slide and push down on the barrel hood -- the barrel should not move.

We bought two Lou Horton 1911's, they are the shorter barrel version. They come out of SW's pro series.

Small enough to carry actually. Nicely finished, higher end guns.

if i was going to buy a 1911 right now, i would prob walk over and pick up the remington 1911 stainless, it just looks good to me.

other good options are the S&W 1911

I've been hankering to get a 1911 for a while but we're so limited in this state it's pathetic. What option are there for first time buyers of 1911s in this state? I'd like to get a quality gun, something reliable with a good track record. What's out there?

In my opinion the RUGER SR1911 is the best 1911 under $1000. It is very well made.

The lowest price I have seen on these is usually at FourSeasons.

Even though they run out often they get them in quite often.

rugerSR1011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, Most are here in Mass from a Rock Island to Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Ed Brown. Just a matter of doing some homework... To start with what is your budget?

I prefer blued guns myself so I've been looking at the Remington R1 - would love the compact but it's not on the list. Ruger is great too but the only stainless I like are Colts. I will check out the STI, thank you for the recommendations.

Another option would be to watch the classifieds for used Colts. I picked up a pristine Delta Elite from another NESer.

Really, Most are here in Mass from a Rock Island to Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Ed Brown. Just a matter of doing some homework... To start with what is your budget?

I'll pay good money for a good gun. I'm keeping my eyes upon and checking out the forums for reviews.

Sig
Smith and Wesson
Ruger
Remington - do they still sell them? I have one, the slide is smoooooth, like butter.
STI

Just got this one, will try it as a carry gun.

178020_01_md.jpg

I prefer blued guns myself so I've been looking at the Remington R1 - would love the compact but it's not on the list. Ruger is great too but the only stainless I like are Colts. I will check out the STI, thank you for the recommendations.

Here is the formal target shooting roster: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/formaltargetshootingroster03-2016.pdf

STI guns are mostly double-stack, competition guns, designed for USPSA. It is my understanding that they often won't run until you get the magazines tuned by a specialized gunsmith. These STIs probably won't fill the bill if you are looking for a carry gun.

Personally, I would stay away from 1911s with barrels shorter than 4" -- they tend to have more reliability problems.

Here is the formal target shooting roster: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/formaltargetshootingroster03-2016.pdf

STI guns are mostly double-stack, competition guns, designed for USPSA. It is my understanding that they often won't run until you get the magazines tuned by a specialized gunsmith. These STIs probably won't fill the bill if you are looking for a carry gun.

STI makes makes several 1911 (single stack) guns, I believe only one, the Targetmaster, is on the list. It is a 6" barreled gun.

Your comment about STI 2011 "often won't run until you get the magazines tuned by a specialized gunsmith" is not totally true. Yes, a 2011 not running is almost always due a magazine problem, But, factory STI guns and magazines run well. Folks change the spring, follower and baseplate on those mags then they no longer work. In USPSA these mags get dropped on the ground and even stepped on, thus the feed lips will need to be adjusted back to spec.

I was basing that on hearing from someone who bought a DVC straight out of the box and it didn't run until the mags were tuned. Is that uncommon?

https://theisholsters.com/ has great kydex/horsehide holsters molded with a Sig 1911. My TTT fits great. Very secure.

That's the thing with most of the SIG 1911s -- you need to get holsters unique to their slide profile. You can do that, but if you want to get other 1911s, you now have to have multiple holsters. Just kind of ticks me off...

That's the thing with most of the SIG 1911s -- you need to get holsters unique to their slide profile. You can do that, but if you want to get other 1911s, you now have to have multiple holsters. Just kind of ticks me off...

I got a regular Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig, and did a little "boning" of the leather to help shape it to fit my Sig. I imagine a regular 1911 would still fit and be secure, especially given there's a retention strap.

Don't forget ROck island armory, or armscor. They've probably made more 1911s than anyone else. From classic GI to the tactical 2. Blued, stainless, nickel and two tone. Love mine

Last edited:
I know some people like Remington, but I've seen people cursing a blue streak at them twice at competitions. Both had been sent repeatedly back to the factory. Rugers and Rock Islands seem pretty safe for the money. Theres a SW 9mm in the classifieds I'd check out if I was in the market for another 1911 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom