1911s in MA

I prefer blued guns myself so I've been looking at the Remington R1 - would love the compact but it's not on the list. Ruger is great too but the only stainless I like are Colts. I will check out the STI, thank you for the recommendations.

You just missed a 100 dollar rebate sale on r1. I bought one as a beater 1911. I had some issues early on. Stock spring was weak from the get go. I put 17 pound Wolff recoil spring and changed the firing pin spring just because and its been solid for the last 500 rounds.

I will admit quality is Better on the ruger I have a cmd.

The more and more i hold a 1911 i like it more.

Mass diver is that a 9mm or .45 Springfield.

I do want a little more modern 1911 than the gi model but i have no clue about 9mm 1911's which is good because there are many knowledgeable people here

I don't know most brands but i have felt these two in my hands, i do know it has to be stainless though.

Springfield stainless 9mm

Or Remington enhanced r1 stainless ?

Last edited:
I must say - after trying Smith and Wesson 3 inch 1911 - I think I've just found my new carry gun. It's good. I was afraid of recoil but it is not much different from, say, commander SIG.

+1 I carried one of these for awhile when a back injury made carrying the 5" all steel one a literal pain in the ass. I've put the little burner up for sale in the classifieds now that I'm in a free state and have other options, but I will always have fond memories of it's ease of carry.

+1 I carried one of these for awhile when a back injury made carrying the 5" all steel one a literal pain in the ass. I've put the little burner up for sale in the classifieds now that I'm in a free state and have other options, but I will always have fond memories of it's ease of carry.

I took the Smith and my Sig Tacops TB to the range yesterday and, well, I think I will be selling my Tacops. The snub Smith shoots better, at least to me.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-tacops-tb.aspx

Serious question: Do the Smith and Ruger have the series 80 type firing pin safety? Worth considering, or no?

Neither use it. They are series 70. My eseries is a 70. Smith has the external extractor, while ruger stays internal.

Sig, Remington and Kimber are 80's. Honestly to me it's not a big deal. I rip apart the whole slide, extractor and fp and saftey, as routine and clean all the parts and holes.
But the FP safety is a cheesy thin little part.

Last edited:
They aren't like ARs, lot of hand fitting involved

I was just going to mention this. I had a Caspian Slide and Frame that I tinkered with for a while. To build a 1911 from a parts kit you will always need to do some gunsmithing in order to get everything to fit right. On slight mess up and you could easily junk your frame or slide. Finally said screw it, gave it to Greg at Derr Precision.

As to 1911s I have models in Compact, Commander and Government. Compacts (3" BBL) like the S&W Pro or Colt Defender will function without issue or at least mine did. Great for carrying as well. Though I do enjoy Gov't over all of them. I just shoot them better. Don't carry them, but enjoy shooting them the most.

Well, I put money down on a Ruger and will be paying it off via layaway. Ruger Night Watchman 5" - I love big, black guns. After that, maybe Rock Island. I've never had a 1911 so we'll see how it goes. Thank you all for the recommendations.... :)

The timing can be off allowing the hammer to fall when the trigger is pulled, but the firing pin safety is still engaged, so the gun does not fire

This. The plunger on mine was chewed up from the firing pin brushing past it. I was getting light strikes and misfires, hence the "killed in the street" comment.

The Guvmint WAS going to release a crapload of older 1911's.

Then Senator John McCain introduced a bill to MELT THEM DOWN.

Next time someone calls him a "WAR HERO", remember he hasn't done a God Damn worthwhile thing for us for over 40 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom