11/19/09 *IMPORTANT* Lots of new "Gun" legislation to be heard at State House

Mike S

NES Member
Hey Guys,

November 19th is going to be a busy one at the State House. Just wanted to give you a heads up as to the scheduled discussions, including this one.

(only in MA.!) "An Act to Allow Citizens Possession of Non-Lethal Protection" [rofl]

Here's the full schedule. Not all of it is bad, anything sponsored by Senator Brewer is good for us.

Note, they are going after paintball, BB and Pellet guns.

I strongly urge everyone to call their legislators about some of these bills, and if you can to get to the State House, let your voice be heard.

Full Schedule:
Notice of Public Hearing

The Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security will be holding a public hearing on THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 19th at 11:30AM in ROOM B-2 on:

House:

H 33 Executive Office An Act Relative to Electronic Notification of License Expiration
H 35 Executive Office An Act to Extend Time Limits for the Firearm Licensing Review Board
H 541 Rep. Pignatelli An Act Authorizing the Licensing of Firearms for Persons 70 Years of Age or Older
H 2195 Rep. Barrows An Act Relative to the Licensing Fees of Firearms
H 2204 Rep. Callahan An Act Relative to the Fees for the Renewal of FID Cards by Certain Elderly Persons
H 2229 Rep. Gobi An Act Further Regulating the Issuance of Firearm Identification Cards and Licenses to Carry Firearms
H 2233 Rep. Gobi An Act Further Regulating the Issuance of Firearm Identification
H 2237 Rep. Jones An Act Relative to Non Lethal Self Defense Spray
H 2245 Rep. Lantigua An Act Relative to Application for the Use of Mace
H 2246 Rep. Lantigua An Act Relative to the Expiration of a Firearm Identification Card of Gun License
H 2248 Rep. Linsky An Act to Restrict the Issuance of Licenses to Carry Firearms
H 2254 Rep. Murphy An Act Relative to Electrical Weapon Registration
H 2258 Rep. Peake An Act Relative to the Possession of Firearms by People with Dementia
H 2274 Rep. Sannicandro An Act Relative to Pepper Spray
H 2288 Rep. Toomey An Act Relative to Increasing Accessibility to Non Lethal Self Defense Sprays

Senate:

S 919 Sen. Brewer An Act Reducing Firearm License Application Fees
S 920 Sen. Brewer An Act Further Regulating the Issuance of Firearm Identification Cards and Licenses to Carry Firearms
S 924 Sen. Brewer An Act Relative to Fair Licensing
S 929 Sen. Brown An Act Relative to Remove Pepper Spray from Firearms Identification
S 967 Sen. Morrissey An Act Prohibiting the Use of Paintball Guns
S 970 Sen. Morrissey An Act Requiring a Firearms Licensing Authority to Provide a Receipt for Firearm License Applications
S 975 Sen. O’Leary An Act Relative to Remove Pepper Spray from Firearms Identification
S 985 Sen. Timilty An Act to Allow Citizens Possession of Non-Lethal Protection
S 1000 Sen. Tisei An Act to Reduce Gun Violence and Promote Public Safety
S 1001 Sen. Tisei An Act Relative to the Sale and Possession of BB, Pellet, and Paintball Guns

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact committee staff at 722-2230.

Thank You,

Michael Onoyan
Research Analyst
Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security
Chairman Michael A. Costello
[email protected]

Out of curiosity, just how many violent crimes in the Commonwealth are committed with firearms with flash hiders, pistol grips, or bayonet lugs? From the attention that "assault weapons" get from some legislators you'd think that every street-corner thug has one ...

Out of curiosity, just how many violent crimes in the Commonwealth are committed with firearms with flash hiders, pistol grips, or bayonet lugs? From the attention that "assault weapons" get from some legislators you'd think that every street-corner thug has one ...

A number of years ago at this Committee's hearings, I tried to raise some logic by simply asking "how many drive-by bayonetings have been reported in MA?" My comment/question didn't raise an eyebrow or a smile from any member of the committee at the irony that the AWB in MA is pure BS.

When you are dealing with people who believe "all weapons are evil in the hands of law abiding people", "all weapons should be banned", and "we discourage 'self-help'", they are impossible to "reach" with any logic. [rolleyes] [sad]

I might show up, but how does one speak at a meeting with this many bills? Choose one particularly egregious or good bill and comment on that one? Does the committee entertain comments on each and every item on the docket?

There's one bill listed on GOAL's website (it's not listed in this thread) that makes my jaw drop. H2287. PDF of the bill. It proposes that, in order to get an LTC, you need to give them a list of every handgun that you own. But that's not all. It also proposes that, in order to get an LTC, you need to have a $250,000 insurance policy that covers unintentional, accidental, or criminal use of the weapon. It also seem to say that a person can only buy one gun per month.

This bill won't pass right? There are still enough sane people in MA to know that this is crossing the line. Right? If this passed, I would immediately post something to find a subletter for the remainder of my lease and I would move to New Hampshire within a week.

A number of years ago at this Committee's hearings, I tried to raise some logic by simply asking "how many drive-by bayonetings have been reported in MA?" My comment/question didn't raise an eyebrow or a smile from any member of the committee at the irony that the AWB in MA is pure BS.

When you are dealing with people who believe "all weapons are evil in the hands of law abiding people", "all weapons should be banned", and "we discourage 'self-help'", they are impossible to "reach" with any logic. [rolleyes] [sad]

It's just frustrating to me, given that this is the party of "choice" that fights almost any attempt to code morals into law (i.e. - abortion, gay rights, etc), and yet they see no problem aggressively persecuting a small unpopular group in MA (gun-owners/gun enthusiasts) for otherwise harmless behavior. It just seems strange to me that the "no harm - no foul" rule that they apply almost everywhere else is absent for gun owners. I found it exceptionally strange during the last President's tenure that there were so many claims of "government fascism" from those on the left who also argue that only government should have the guns - can they not see the contradictions here?

The alternate explanation is even more depressing to me - that these people are dumb enough to believe that these laws will have any effect on criminals already willing to commit murder to achieve their goals, and that we are dumb enough collectively to keep re-electing them.

It also proposes that, in order to get an LTC, you need to have a $250,000 insurance policy that covers unintentional, accidental, or criminal use of the weapon.

This would effectively make an LTC impossible to get for "regular Joes" - all homeowners policies exclude intentional loss and criminal acts. It's a smokescreen to ban.

There's one bill listed on GOAL's website (it's not listed in this thread) that makes my jaw drop. H2287. PDF of the bill. It proposes that, in order to get an LTC, you need to give them a list of every handgun that you own. But that's not all. It also proposes that, in order to get an LTC, you need to have a $250,000 insurance policy that covers unintentional, accidental, or criminal use of the weapon. It also seem to say that a person can only buy one gun per month.

This bill won't pass right? There are still enough sane people in MA to know that this is crossing the line. Right? If this passed, I would immediately post something to find a subletter for the remainder of my lease and I would move to New Hampshire within a week.
I just spoke to Jim about this, his guess is that our dear leaders will not have the appetite to pass this one, that being said though, this is MA and anything is possible. When we have more info as to the schedule for discussion on this one we will let you know.

Take note: I received a hand signed letter in the mail from STEVEN C. PANAGIOTAKOS the other day. From the verbiage in the letter I can summarize that we have Steve's support.

This bill won't pass right? There are still enough sane people in MA to know that this is crossing the line. Right?

If MA gunowners are anything like the way they were when I lived there, it could very well pass. Everyone likes to bitch about how bad it sucks here on an online forum, but if you've gone to one of these things, you'll see a serious lack of support for our side. Its alway one excuse or another. Well, don't come bitching to me when you lose your constitutional rights because you had to get to soccer practice.

The alternate explanation is even more depressing to me - that these people are dumb enough to believe that these laws will have any effect on criminals already willing to commit murder to achieve their goals, and that we are dumb enough collectively to keep re-electing them.

What they believe is that by passing a "Tough-on-Gun-Kontrol" law, they are perceived as being a politician who is "Doing-Something-About-Crime," which resonates with urban voters. Or, they are intellectual superiors (read: from Amherst) who just don't think that anyone should have a gun. Period.

Either way, they don't actually think that this will impact crime one iota.

Ya know, is it at all possible to use all this f'ing PC/anti gun BS to our favor. Would it be feasible to file suit that as law abiding citizens that we are HIGHLY OFFENDED at the way our "LIFESTYLE" and "RIGHTS" are being VIOLATED and DISCRIMINATED against by the current and proposed laws and regulations that affect our "LIFESTYLE" choices??

Just a thought.......[thinking][angry]

If MA gunowners are anything like the way they were when I lived there, it could very well pass. Everyone likes to bitch about how bad it sucks here on an online forum, but if you've gone to one of these things, you'll see a serious lack of support for our side. Its alway one excuse or another. Well, don't come bitching to me when you lose your constitutional rights because you had to get to soccer practice.

MikeS: Are you folks wanting people to attend on Thursday? Is there a gameplan? I want to make plans if this is something desired, and will book time with my Rep/Sen if this is the case. Do you want people to speak on the issues? Is this even a public hearing? Need more details.

Mike, thanks for highlighting this. I am writing and calling my reps, and the reps where we have offices.

This legislation is a distraction from enforcing those laws already in place and dealing with the substantive issues of the economy and infrastructure.

Which one of these laws is the one to open up the capacity to greater than 10 rounds? Which one will allow the mail order purchasing of ammunition? Isn't there someone at the state we can contact regarding these unfair business practices? There oughta be a law!

Since Gobi and Brewer are my reps and I know where they stand already, I won’t be much help in influencing someone that might be on the fence about these things. I will write them a thank you letter for what they’re doing though. I’ll also mention the paintball / BB gun bill.

Since Gobi and Brewer are my reps and I know where they stand already, I won’t be much help in influencing someone that might be on the fence about these things. I will write them a thank you letter for what they’re doing though. I’ll also mention the paintball / BB gun bill.
Enough warm bodies at the state-house makes a statement... That's where we have failed time and time again...

They aren't afraid of our political influence because we have shown none... Either visibly or at the polls...

I'm loving S 924 - An Act relative to fair licensing. It sounds like it deletes the whole notion of FID , Classes A&B and replaces it with one license for all and at a cost of 50 bucks! Sounds like Brewer's got the right idea

Note, they are going after paintball, BB and Pellet guns.

There is nothing on the goal site about this and tisei is goal a rated (or was last time i checked). Does goal support it?

I'm loving S 924 - An Act relative to fair licensing. It sounds like it deletes the whole notion of FID , Classes A&B and replaces it with one license for all and at a cost of 50 bucks! Sounds like Brewer's got the right idea

I'm with you...it soudns great.

The problem is I've never known any group of legislators to throw out existing legal restrictions on guns in favor of fewer restriction.

I'll be there on the 19th but would also like more info on the nature of the meeting....how much time for comment? on each bill? etc.

I work in Boston so I'm thinking of participating as well but would like some more details and a game plan from GOAL so I can be more effective while I'm there.

Back
Top Bottom