10mm

peterk123

NES Member
Who here is shooting a 10mm these days? I've been thinking hard about getting a glock 20 for some time. It would be replacing my 9mm when hiking/ hunting in the mountains. The only reason I've not done it is weight. Not thrilled about carrying a few pounds or so with me. I would be looking to reload solid cast coated bullets, probably 200 grains.

The energy compared to a 9mm is impressive. So I think it would be a wise purchase. Certainly would be lighter than my 357, holds more rounds and likely easier to shoot.

I have a Gen 5 G20 with the Holosun SCS on it. It's a fine gun, and even full house Buffalo Bore, etc., is manageable in it.

I like to say it's my bear defense pistol, when I'm camping... but I'm in the northeast; it's a costume piece more than anything else.

The answer to bears is nothing smaller than 3" magnum 12ga slugs. And you better be able to get your gun to work under stress.

10mm is a great round for the woods, as it will knock down pretty much anything you'll run into in the woods except for bears. Round here we got black bears, mountain lions, and wild dogs.

IMO if you end up face to face with a CHARGING bear you f***ed up a long time ago and chances are nothing short of a 20mm is gonna do it.

10mm is the best you can carry for griz when you factor in realistic weight- your not gonna hike with a shotgun, capacity -15 rounds and stopping power.

Picked one up. It may only be good for shooting my hunting partner in the leg, but it will cripple him for sure. Twice the ft lbs a my 9mm. More bullet capacity since my nine is a compact. Shot some 180 grains at the range just now with it and the felt recoil was nothing. I enjoyed shooting it. Time for some reloading dies for this thing.

There's a reasonable argument that 15+1 in a G20 is better than 6 in a 44 mag. Your average Montana grizzly is big enough, but for sure not monster sized like a Kodiak bear.

There's a reasonable argument that 15+1 in a G20 is better than 6 in a 44 mag. Your average Montana grizzly is big enough, but for sure not monster sized like a Kodiak bear.
My son in law has an LAR Grizzly 50 win mag. How should I put this; it is a bear to shoot. Ya, I can pull the trigger. Nope, can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I

If you want the handgun for bear protection forget it. No handgun is adequate to make a solid hit on a very fast moving bear. On the other hand, any handgun is adequate to shoot your hiking partner in the leg while you run away.
Well, a handgun can be a useful deterrent, though. A vast majority of the times, the bear may see it, and choose to stay away.

Well, a handgun can be a useful deterrent, though. A vast majority of the times, the bear may see it, and choose to stay away.
That's an interesting thought. What is this vast majority of the time you speak of? I'd like to see that stats on that one. Would you like to test that theory on a sow with cubs or a grizz sitting on its cache?

I've yet to have a bear run away from me, and they were basically casual encounters while hiking and camping.

This has been hashed lots of times for bear defense.

- Lots of handguns have been successful in stopping a bear attack. There’s a study floating around somewhere

- Most recorded successful uses of bear spray are at camp sites where the bears are just looking for easy food and are pretty peaceful around people. Far less data of bear spray used on bears in the backcountry.

- If a brown bear charges you from close proximity, pretty much no gun will help based on how fast it will be on top of you, crushing your skull

All that said, 10mm with hard cast or solid copper, full power bullets can certainly get the job done, is relatively easy to control, and gives you more ammo than a 357 magnum.

This has been hashed lots of times for bear defense.

- Lots of handguns have been successful in stopping a bear attack. There’s a study floating around somewhere

- Most recorded successful uses of bear spray are at camp sites where the bears are just looking for easy food and are pretty peaceful around people. Far less data of bear spray used on bears in the backcountry.

- If a brown bear charges you from close proximity, pretty much no gun will help based on how fast it will be on top of you, crushing your skull

All that said, 10mm with hard cast or solid copper, full power bullets can certainly get the job done, is relatively easy to control, and gives you more ammo than a 357 magnum.
Agree, and actually 9mm had dropped more bears in defense than any other. I only carry a p938. Wanted a little more capacity and figured a slightly larger caliber may be worth considering. In two years I've bumped into four bear and eight moose. All within 100 feet of me. I've never felt in danger, but none so far had babies with them or on food.

Last edited:
Carry the sidearm you shoot best. If you wanna buy a new gun fine but, carry the iron you shoot the best instead of buying a new gun over a hypothetical scenario.

Who here is shooting a 10mm these days? I've been thinking hard about getting a glock 20 for some time. It would be replacing my 9mm when hiking/ hunting in the mountains. The only reason I've not done it is weight. Not thrilled about carrying a few pounds or so with me. I would be looking to reload solid cast coated bullets, probably 200 grains.

The energy compared to a 9mm is impressive. So I think it would be a wise purchase. Certainly would be lighter than my 357, holds more rounds and likely easier to shoot.
Do it.
Plenty of holsters. Plenty of mags (cheap), plenty of accessories and a sh*t ton of people own them so you can get answers.

If you don't see a bear in thick woods and it charges from just a few yards away, you are dead no matter what you carry.

So, whatever you get, practice, a lot. With a timer. A time will show you how kuch you really s*ck because you are slow AF. Now imagine being in the woods when you are not ready waiting for that "beep".

If you dont practice, forget about caliber. Too many idios carrying 454, 460, 500 ... they can barely hit a piece of paper at the range.

The "bear" issue aside, I don't own a 10 MM ! I was just talking with my brother who does have one and he says it's just too big and heavy to actually carry so all it does is sit in the safe !!!! YMMV

The "bear" issue aside, I don't own a 10 MM ! I was just talking with my brother who does have one and he says it's just too big and heavy to actually carry so all it does is sit in the safe !!!! YMMV
What does he have?

As discussed above, something like a G20 is smaller/lighter than e.g. a 1911. Plenty of people carry that every day.
LengthHeightWidthWeight
1911 Government8.75 in5.94 in1.41 in40.07 oz
G20 Gen 5 MOS8.07 in5.51 in1.38 in29.81 oz

There’s a 10mm shooter at the club who is a total pig. Picked up 200 or so casings from his range time.
It did make me think about getting an Sig 220 in that caliber.

I've been into 10mm for a bit, here is my list top 4.
  1. FN - FN 510 Tactical
  2. Sig Legion or P220
  3. Glock 20
  4. Sig P320 XTEN
A PCC for fun
  1. CMMG Banshee 10mm
You're in Montana, get the FN and pair it with a HUXWRX RAD 45 Silencer. It will take the edge off only but worth it. Approvals are taking 2 days right now, now better time.

If you want the handgun for bear protection forget it. No handgun is adequate to make a solid hit on a very fast moving bear. On the other hand, any handgun is adequate to shoot your hiking partner in the leg while you run away.

Back
Top Bottom