• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm revolvers

So I'm starting to get gun wood for 10mm and want a revolver - thus far, all I've found chambered for it is the sw 610 and 310 night guard. Any other manufacturers make a 10mm ?

I assume you're not interested in a 10 mm auto and I don't know of any other 10mm revolvers but I have 2 thoughts. If it's the ballistics of the 10mm you like, you could consider the .41 magnum. There's a nice old one for sale here. The other thought is to have the revolver of your choice rechambered.

More or less want to do what I do with my 686 - enjoy the benefits of 2 strong cartridges, the 10 and the .40

I assume you're not interested in a 10 mm auto and I don't know of any other 10mm revolvers but I have 2 thoughts. If it's the ballistics of the 10mm you like, you could consider the .41 magnum. There's a nice old one for sale here. The other thought is to have the revolver of your choice rechambered.

The nice thing about the 10mm revolvers is that you can shoot 40 S&W, which is cheap and mild compared to 10mm. There is really no cheap and mild version of the 41 magnum unless you reload.

Personally, I think the S&W 310 and 610 are neat revolvers, but they are rare and pricey and I think 357 mag revolver is much more useful.

Edit: In answer to your question, I don't think there are any other factory 10mm revolvers.

I liked the article about the "history" of cartridges but I still like my .40. So according to what I have read on various threads I deduce that .380's tickle, 9mm stings, and .40 is like a Charlie Horse. [rofl]

Personally, I think the S&W 310 and 610 are neat revolvers, but they are rare and pricey and I think 357 mag revolver is much more useful.

Perhaps for the range or HD but not competition. The only revo that you can reload faster than a 610 is a 625 with round nose .45acp.

S&W will eventually (hopefully) do another production run of the 610 but the demand is still very low. Demand is mostly just from competitive shooters. When they get enough orders for it they may make them again. The 610 has been fading into obscurity for sometime now.

This --

Im really getting more and more into revolvers than I am autos -- I don't know why or how this happened to me, given that my dad regaled me with many stories of his trusty 1911 from his time in Vietnam, but I seem to shoot better with them, feel more confidence with revolvers when I CCW....my next purchase or trade will be a revolver that accepts moon clips.

Perhaps for the range or HD but not competition. The only revo that you can reload faster than a 610 is a 625 with round nose .45acp.

S&W will eventually (hopefully) do another production run of the 610 but the demand is still very low. Demand is mostly just from competitive shooters. When they get enough orders for it they may make them again. The 610 has been fading into obscurity for sometime now.

I would like to see more guns in 10mm, semi or revolver. I would love to have a 1911, Poly double stack and a revolver all chambered in 10. That would be fun.

This --

Im really getting more and more into revolvers than I am autos -- I don't know why or how this happened to me, given that my dad regaled me with many stories of his trusty 1911 from his time in Vietnam, but I seem to shoot better with them, feel more confidence with revolvers when I CCW....my next purchase or trade will be a revolver that accepts moon clips.

There are some gunsmiths that will convert revolvers to moon clips. Personally, I think moon clips shine for shorter calibers. Long, skinny calibers like .38/.357 are a pain to load, whether you are using moon clips or speedloaders, and 10mm is a long, skinny caliber. Shorter calibers reduce the wobble factor while trying to stuff the cartridges into the cylinder.

The 610 is an N-frame, so it is the same size as a 625. The 625 is .45 ACP, so it has short, fat cartridges that are easy to get into those big holes in the cylinder. And there are a lot more 625s available than 610s.

Now any N-frame revolver is a big gun. Even a short-barrel N-frame is a pretty big gun and they haven't made a lot of those. So, while I would seriously like to find an elusive 3" 625, I doubt I would be carrying it much. They are awfully big and heavy for concealed carry.

Before you start actively looking for an expensive 610, I suggest you go to a gunshop and fondle an N-frame to see if it would actually work for you for concealed carry.

- - - Updated - - -

delta elite.
glock 20.
S&W 610.

You could add the S&W 1006 and 1076 to that list, but I'm just not a fan of slide-mounted safeties.

I think you're absolutely right. This isn't like when I searched out a 686, knowing that its the Glock 19 of revolvers (that's gonna piss someone off)

There are some gunsmiths that will convert revolvers to moon clips. Personally, I think moon clips shine for shorter calibers. Long, skinny calibers like .38/.357 are a pain to load, whether you are using moon clips or speedloaders, and 10mm is a long, skinny caliber. Shorter calibers reduce the wobble factor while trying to stuff the cartridges into the cylinder.

The 610 is an N-frame, so it is the same size as a 625. The 625 is .45 ACP, so it has short, fat cartridges that are easy to get into those big holes in the cylinder. And there are a lot more 625s available than 610s.

Now any N-frame revolver is a big gun. Even a short-barrel N-frame is a pretty big gun and they haven't made a lot of those. So, while I would seriously like to find an elusive 3" 625, I doubt I would be carrying it much. They are awfully big and heavy for concealed carry.

Before you start actively looking for an expensive 610, I suggest you go to a gunshop and fondle an N-frame to see if it would actually work for you for concealed carry.

- - - Updated - - -

You could add the S&W 1006 and 1076 to that list, but I'm just not a fan of slide-mounted safeties.

I think you're absolutely right. This isn't like when I searched out a 686, knowing that its the Glock 19 of revolvers (that's gonna piss someone off)

I don't know, I always thought of the S&W Model 19 as the Glock 19 of revolvers…[grin] I mean it was carried by most cops at one point in time.

delta elite.
glock 20.
S&W 610.

there's your list.

But wait! There's more!

-- D&D Bren Ten (ok, can't really shoot it due to slide integrity problems, and a pricey C&R to boot)
-- Star Megastar (a nice behemoth -- had one but didn't shoot it much -- weird trigger ergos)
-- EAA
-- S&W 1006, 1066, 1076, 1026 (have a 1066 -- nice)
-- G29 (great for hiking)
-- Various 1911s in addition to the Delta Elite (e.g., Nighthawk, Kimber, Fusion): 10mm in the 1911 platform is a hoot.

Have been wanting a revolver for a while myself...they are just quite pricey. As is 10mm if you do not reload. Have a g29 and custom 1006 that I love....tons of fun, some good fireballs out of them, but a revolver would be nice as the ease going to 40 to plink would be enjoyable

10mm =not fun. I have a pretty rare s&w 1026 and even for a full size piece, recoil was pretty brutal. Not cheap for ammo either as I don't reload myself.

10mm =not fun. I have a pretty rare s&w 1026 and even for a full size piece, recoil was pretty brutal. Not cheap for ammo either as I don't reload myself.

I'm a recoil wuss. I don't mind the recoil in my Delta Elite. I got some Buffalo Bore for a trip to Alaska -- 220gr hard cast at 1175 fps. That's a pretty hot 10mm and I found the recoil was just fine.

I have yet to be bothered by recoil of any 10mm. I just don't get it but I understand that it affects some folks more than others. The 1026 is the 5" 1006 but with a decocker IIRC. The 1066 and 1076 are the shorter "carry" versions (I think there are DAOs too -- the 1046 and 1086, which are exceedingly rare). Anyway, my 1066 (and the 1006 I previously owed) is a pussycat. Triggers need some breaking in though. The Glocks, being lighter, are a bit snappier but again it's never felt more than a 45 to me.

Back
Top Bottom