• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yugo M48A Disassembly Instructions?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I have the SurplusRifle.com CDs with the Yugo M48 disassembly instructions. However the wood and bands are very different on the M48A and thus I am wondering who might have disassembly instructions for this rifle.

The bands are very wide and I wasn't able to budge them and didn't want to damage the woodwork (which is damn near perfect) by using tools and hammers.

Thanks.

On my M48BO there is one retaining spring that puts pressure on both bands. I'm guessing yours is the same much like a standard M48 has. Only differences are milled and stamped parts.
Some bands are really hard to move. I use the trick Jamie does from surplusrifle and use a block of wood with a hammer to tap the band forward after clamping the front of the spring. Kroil or Break Free helps sometimes.
If its really different try posting a pic so I can tell more what you're dealing with.

Finally got time to shoot and post some pictures. This wide band is s stinker to push and the wood is almost perfect and I don't want to mess it up getting this gun apart.

YugoM48ABarrelBand-sm.jpg

YugoM48ABarrelBand2-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Had the same problem with my RC K98. I think the problem was that the retainer was out of place, and was not moving down enough to clear the barrel band.

If you have a second set of hands available:
- Spray WD-40 at all contact points
- One person uses a punch to apply downward pressure to the retainer
- Second person uses a wooden peg or dowel to gently tap the band forward

Prayer always helps.....

Good Luck!

Once that front band comes off you should be all set because the spring will lift right out, then you can usually wiggle the rear band forward using your fingers and a good grip. I like using a small chunk of pine like from a 2x4 to push against the bands while I hammer on the chunk of wood. Best part about using pine is that it gives before the stock will. Since the stock is elm, its stronger than pine and can withstand a few accidental bumps with a block of wood.

Back
Top Bottom