Your New Knife!

I got a Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight with translucent blue FRCP handle, CTS BD1N steel.

Great form factor for my hands. I do think I like the slight softer feel of their FRN handle material a little better than the FRCP that is used on this knife. But a solid construct with no play in the blade, and for an 8 inch (3.37 blade) knife it is amazingly light at 2.8 oz on my postal scale.

UWgasKLh.jpg

BTW while I was online checking on the shipping for this knife I came across a flash sale $83 for a Spyderco Edura 4 Lightweight, it will arrive today :cool:

🐯

So the Endura 4 Lightweight arrived today and first impressions are very good but not quite as positive as the Manix 2 Lightweight.

To start with I ordered a green version on a whim, and while it is OK, once in hand I was not totally sold on the look. That is purely aesthetic and an unforced error; I could have gotten a zome green version for the same dough and now kind of wish I had, but the green is growing on me so OK.

Also if you grab the blade at the tip you can force some slight side-to-side flex. This is not the attachment to the handle at the hilt, that is rock solid, it is in the steel and just the nature of a 3.75" blade that tappers along the spine to a thin point. Up-and-down is solid.

SzMErwhh.jpg

Not to say it is all negative. The blade deploys really nicely and the lockup is very positive. The grip in my hand (XXL glove) is excellent, although the positioning of the first finger grove (index and middle finger) very deliberately has you choking up on the handle with your thumb on the blade at the hilt in that scalloped out area with the spine jimping. It is a very positive grip, but if you like more flexibility it might not be for you. And there is some amount of the handle's tail butting out beyond your palm that some might say is wasted length (8.75" overall); this would be more pronounced for someone with smaller hands.

w9KBrKAh.jpg

One other thing I have mixed feeling about is the stamped style pocket clip. It is very easy to grab the lip of your trouser pocket when stowing it, and it pulls free of your pocket nicely when deploying. However due to the kind of dramatic upturn at the end of the clip it has the potential to snag on my middle finger when gripping the knife. By comparison the Manix 2 Lightweight that I wrote about yesterday has a formed wire style pocket clip, and while it is sometimes annoyingly awkward to clip onto your trouser pocket, it is practically undetectable in your hand while grasping the knife. So pluses and minuses for each.

2JDIjgeh.jpg

Just for fun a comparison of the Endura 4, the Manix 2, and my zome green Dragonfly 2 which weighs just 1.2 oz. and closed to 3.3" I care in the trouser pocket of my suit on formal occasions.

5cmT9eSh.jpg

BTW the blue one, Manix 2, is made in the USA of Carpenter BD1N while the other two are made in Seki Japan of VG10 steel.

🐯

I’m not a fan of the Spyderco clips. I replace them with clips from LynchNW. One tip, Spyderco uses locktite on their clip screws. Do NOT try to unscrew them without first heating them up with the tip of a soldering iron as the screws will strip very, very easily.

Now you tell me!

I’m not a fan of the Spyderco clips. I replace them with clips from LynchNW. One tip, Spyderco uses locktite on their clip screws. Do NOT try to unscrew them without first heating them up with the tip of a soldering iron as the screws will strip very, very easily.

Lynch titanium clips are great especially if you prefer deep carry. Good advice on the screws, you definitely want to heat up any threadlocker that may be in there.

SOG TELLUS FX

Bought one after @CatSnoutSoup posted in the Deals and Steals thread.

Love the knife. Gutted two deer with zero effort. Sharp AF.

A guy at deer camp is a knife snob. The dude has hundreds of knives and always carries 3 knives. He brought his sharpening kit to deer camp. He looked at the SOG and loved it, he is ordering one. He looked at it with such love, I am pretty sure he fapped to the thought of it.

It is not an expensive knife.
It is not a knife you can chop down trees with.
But it is a knife that will cut sh*t when you need sh*t cut clean and fast.

CRKT. Years ago my step-aunt gave me a load of knives, swords, and some machetes. Lots of nice knives and some real garbage. I sold and gave away a handful of the good ones and the rest are in various places at the bottom of my safe and my reloading room.
I carried a similar CRKT but forgot it was in the purse I used when in a sling and tsa sniped it when I was heading to Florida. Not sure which model it is and would imagine it has been out if production for some time.

SOG TELLUS FX

A guy at deer camp is a knife snob. The dude has hundreds of knives and always carries 3 knives. He brought his sharpening kit to deer camp. He looked at the SOG and loved it, he is ordering one. He looked at it with such love, I am pretty sure he fapped to the thought of it.

I just ordered one

So the Endura 4 Lightweight arrived today and first impressions are very good but not quite as positive as the Manix 2 Lightweight.

To start with I ordered a green version on a whim, and while it is OK, once in hand I was not totally sold on the look. That is purely aesthetic and an unforced error; I could have gotten a zome green version for the same dough and now kind of wish I had, but the green is growing on me so OK.

Also if you grab the blade at the tip you can force some slight side-to-side flex. This is not the attachment to the handle at the hilt, that is rock solid, it is in the steel and just the nature of a 3.75" blade that tappers along the spine to a thin point. Up-and-down is solid.

SzMErwhh.jpg

Not to say it is all negative. The blade deploys really nicely and the lockup is very positive. The grip in my hand (XXL glove) is excellent, although the positioning of the first finger grove (index and middle finger) very deliberately has you choking up on the handle with your thumb on the blade at the hilt in that scalloped out area with the spine jimping. It is a very positive grip, but if you like more flexibility it might not be for you. And there is some amount of the handle's tail butting out beyond your palm that some might say is wasted length (8.75" overall); this would be more pronounced for someone with smaller hands.

w9KBrKAh.jpg

One other thing I have mixed feeling about is the stamped style pocket clip. It is very easy to grab the lip of your trouser pocket when stowing it, and it pulls free of your pocket nicely when deploying. However due to the kind of dramatic upturn at the end of the clip it has the potential to snag on my middle finger when gripping the knife. By comparison the Manix 2 Lightweight that I wrote about yesterday has a formed wire style pocket clip, and while it is sometimes annoyingly awkward to clip onto your trouser pocket, it is practically undetectable in your hand while grasping the knife. So pluses and minuses for each.

2JDIjgeh.jpg

Just for fun a comparison of the Endura 4, the Manix 2, and my zome green Dragonfly 2 which weighs just 1.2 oz. and closed to 3.3" I care in the trouser pocket of my suit on formal occasions.

5cmT9eSh.jpg

BTW the blue one, Manix 2, is made in the USA of Carpenter BD1N while the other two are made in Seki Japan of VG10 steel.

🐯
I have one of those mint green Spyderco knives from bladehq also. It’s really nice and I personally get sick of all the black tacticool shit.

I think a legit outdoor knife should be like day glow orange so you can find it when you drop it.

I have one of those mint green Spyderco knives from bladehq also. It’s really nice and I personally get sick of all the black tacticool shit.

I think a legit outdoor knife should be like day glow orange so you can find it when you drop it.
Yes sir, couldn't agree more. My hunting knife is bright orange and has reflective tape. It's a must have.

Got myself an Estwing Tomahawk just because. Also got my 7 year-old son his first knife. A small camo Swiss army.

View attachment 821534
Same reason I bought one. I was a little embarrassed when I was at the checkout at Home Depot, until the female cashier said "Wow, that is cool, I didn't know we sold those. I am going to get one too."

I'd bet a 6 pack the Kalishnakovs will be sub $50 on black Friday. I bought my wife the "Black Widow" last year for a stocking stuffer and paid $49 for it.

Everything but the donut knife is on sale for $45.

Strikes are on sale too.

SOG TELLUS FX

Midway USA.com has these for $24.99 right now.

Back
Top Bottom