Yet another gun safety lesson gone wrong...

So.... no one thinks this was a homicide? I mean, I know there aren't enough details in the article to judge either way... but c'mon... [smile]

I know there are seriously stupid people that would actually put a gun up to their head and pull the trigger to show that the gun is unloaded........... but I'm going to go with the wife wanted him dead... shot him in the head... and made up the ironic story of him trying to teach her firearms safety.

[grin]

That thought crossed my mind as well. Although there are witnesses to the teaching method I think she paid them off.

Everybody has missed the cause of his death!

He was demonstrating SAFETY MECHANISMS and the differences between them.
ie put the gun on safe and asking his girlfriend to identify if it would go off if he pulled the trigger.

moral of the story. NEVER TRUST THE SAFETY ON ANY GUN!

I would bet you that it was not his first time putting what he thought was an unloaded gun to the head. Idiots do it all the time and sometimes they even photograph it. He was probably used to doing it but didn't realize it was loaded.

I always follow the safety rules and it would set an alarm off in my brain if I ever did that even with an unloaded gun. I would never want to learn that muscle memory.

Here's the situation. (Girl hates him)

He does a great job of teaching her how to load and unload correctly.

She does a fabulous job learning.

He forgets the bullet is in the gun.

She know it is in the gun.

"Honey, will this hurt?"

She says "Not at all dear you can pull the trigger."

He takes her word for it and blows his brains out.

Either that or they were playing Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic and he went first.

MAU! MAU! DIDI MAU!

I actually think it was a splendid lesson. He clearly demonstrated what happens when you break the first rule of gun safety.

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

See?

I was reading this story aloud to my wife, and my 2 kids (14 & 10) both immediately stated the NRA safety rules to me, with a "How dumb!" comment...

... they make me proud!

Everybody has missed the cause of his death!

He was demonstrating SAFETY MECHANISMS and the differences between them.
ie put the gun on safe and asking his girlfriend to identify if it would go off if he pulled the trigger.

moral of the story. NEVER TRUST THE SAFETY ON ANY GUN!

This is why when I'm casually teaching someone how to shoot (newbie's first trip to the range, etc), I NEVER teach the use of a mechanical safety.

There's only one safety you need be concerned with, and it's attached to your hand between your thumb and index finger.

According to witnesses, Looney was going to take his girlfriend to the shooting range the next day, but insisted on firearm safety the day prior.

Well, I bet that was the best firearm safetly lesson anybody ever gave!!! He might be dead, but he didn't fail in his objective! [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom