Yet again another "hunter" messing with my gear

I've got 100 acres up in northern NH I got awhile ago, maybe 15 years, I only go to it once every couple of years but will eventually build on it. The last time I was up there in the fall of 2013 I found a guy living on it in a camper, had built a fence and a little shed had a nice little yard going there in the middle of my land. asked him politely to move off in the next 30 days, he told me to go F myself. Had to get the authorities involved to get him moved. Now I have signs up....

70 acres of land and they found all 6 of your cameras? that is some bad luck.

good luck finding them man.

People get complacent, they have a sense of ownership about it having used the land for so long. I don't get the being *******s and ruining the land part but I can understand the feeling of somewhat ownership after respectful use of the land for decades. Also, most pieces of land that large are way outside of what most Maine people could afford in their lifetime. That's where the resentment comes in, and yes, it comes down to life choices, if they moved to MA and became a union carpenter instead of a non-union sub in Maine they might be able to afford it. However they look at it as the people "from away" bringing all their city money, buying up all the land and not allowing the locals to use it after they have been for decades. That's bound to breed some resentment, the piece I was talking about earlier that I've been hunting for over 20 years got bought by a guy from NH. He immediately posted it all and leveled like 4 acres to build his dream vacation home and private hunting preserve. It sucks, and I was disappointed, I'm not going to damage it and maybe I'll ask if he'll let me hunt the spot once he gets settled but I was pretty annoyed when I found it.

While I believe the behavior of shitting on other peoples land is indefensible you should try to understand why someone can have a mentality that they do. It helps in generating an argument against it.

Sorry - can't empathize. If some of the locals don't like the "foreigners" buying land - I wonder how much they would like it when their schools go to shit and their roads aren't repaired because they lack the tax revenue. I wonder how much they would like their tax bill when their communities have to get by minus the revenue from "foreigners". I'm sorry - but I can't empathize with that level of self entitlement. Can't have your cake and eat it too... No one is entitled to access land that they don't own, didn't pay for, don't pay taxes on while yet enjoying the benefits of that tax revenue in the form of municipal services.
Would it be sad to lose access to a piece of land... Sure. But don't resent the property owner for it. Be thankful for the time you had and move on.

...I'm not trying to sound like an ass hole here. But such people with such an attitude spend far too much time resenting others for what they have when it could be better spent on improving their own lives to acquire what they want.

Both sides of the argument resonate with me. Most land in ME is owned by someone. Not a ton of it is truly public. If all the private landowners decided to post their land like that Burt's Bees bitch did then a lot of people lose access to land they've respectfully hunted for generations. The open land philosophy in Maine has served everyone well for a very long time.

On the other hand if I ever decided I wanted to buy 100 or so acres in Maine then guess what? It's mine. I can do whatever the **** I want with it. Now, I personally would not be a dick and post the land. If ever did have the money to buy such acreage no one would likely ever know unless they periodically check deeds. I'd probably put a very small one room cabin on it and leave the land open to public use. IF however, I ever came up to camp and found it broken into or started finding broken glass and trash every where then I'd post that land in a heartbeat.

All people have to do is not be dicks about things and it can easily work out for everyone.

I've got 100 acres up in northern NH I got awhile ago, maybe 15 years, I only go to it once every couple of years but will eventually build on it. The last time I was up there in the fall of 2013 I found a guy living on it in a camper, had built a fence and a little shed had a nice little yard going there in the middle of my land. asked him politely to move off in the next 30 days, he told me to go F myself. Had to get the authorities involved to get him moved. Now I have signs up....

Did they give you any grief about booting the squatter? How much of a PITA was it? I've been considering buying some acreage so I'm curious.

Last edited:
Did they give you any grief about booting the squatter? How much of a PITA was it? I've been considering buying some acreage so I'm curious.

It was a little bit of a PITA, not too bad, had to get my deed, plot plan, tax records and fill out a complaint, they actually got everything done in 2 days, I didn't have to give him any time to get off but still did. I had someone check the property a week later and his was gone (left all the shit there though). It's a nice piece of property and there are trails through it, I don't mind anyone using it, but they shouldn't be living on it, lol.

**** you, flatlander. [rofl]

what an *******. that's not his land. some people, man.

It was a little bit of a PITA, not too bad, had to get my deed, plot plan, tax records and fill out a complaint, they actually got everything done in 2 days, I didn't have to give him any time to get off but still did. I had someone check the property a week later and his was gone (left all the shit there though). It's a nice piece of property and there are trails through it, I don't mind anyone using it, but they shouldn't be living on it, lol.

This has the potential to be an entertaining spoof thread.
"******* Landowner Kicks Me off Their Land"

"Go F myself? Well sure why not. By the way your sh*tty camper which is on my land is in the middle of my rifle range. Enjoy the rest of your day."

This has the potential to be an entertaining spoof thread.
"******* Landowner Kicks Me off Their Land"

Lol, I was a little shocked, I knocked on his door and told him I was the landowner and that he had to get off and I would give him 30 days, he never opened the door and told me to F Off. I felt like pulling a Schwarzenegger from True Lies on his camper.

This is one of the reasons I haven't bothered buying land up north.. I feel that you have to live on the property to "own" (read protect, take care of, defend).. Otherwise it's prone to vandalism or abuse.

I'll be honest, being from Maine I know plenty of people with that mentality. Basically, people "from away" coming up, buying all the land, inflating the prices of land then posting it to create private little hunting preserves. People that have been hunting that open land for generations get pissed when that happens. Not saying damaging someone's property is right and I always avoid posted land even if it's stuff I've hunted for decades but it is frustrating. I had a spot I've hunted for 20 years, shot the biggest buck of my life a couple years ago there. It was sold off as one of 4 pieces of a huge chunk of woods about 3 months ago. Showed up on my first day hunting and it was all posted, 160 acres gone. Now even if the other 300 acres stays open access the deer will mostly head to that 160 acres once hunting season starts.

I understand, property rights, freedom, etc. etc. But people react emotionally when something that "was theirs" in their mind gets taken away by some "foreigner".

It's the same way in MN.

Same here in Missouri too. I've always been amazed by the sense of entitlement out there. The best way to hunt is to (a) own the land, or (b) lease it. Here in Missouri hunting leases are very common and not too expensive (ballpark of maybe $5 to $10 an acre for exclusive hunting rights). I've had my land posted for years, but still occasionally find the oddball hunter out there. One thing people do here who don't hunt their own land is lease or just give a single hunter exclusive access, and tell him to make sure everyone else is told to leave. Then you know who to talk to when the gates are left open, ruts are in the field, etc. The best way to keep things under control is fencing and locked gates. Make the trespassers pack in and out, with no 4-wheeler access, and they'll go trespass on somebody else.

Thanks, just seems backwards. If I owned a chunk of property I would think someone would need to ask to use it or they would be trespassing.

You'd be correct in many states, MA is not one of them.

In Kentucky, its strictly by land owner's oral or written permission to hunt private lands, posted or not. If you shoot game and it runs onto private property of another, you may not even cross the boundary of that property to retrieve it without the land owner's permission. Same goes for hunting dogs, the land owner is under no obligation to allow you to even retrieve your dogs if they end up on his/her property.

Crossing onto private land subjects you to arrest and prosecution....and its stringently enforced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I was a little shocked, I knocked on his door and told him I was the landowner and that he had to get off and I would give him 30 days, he never opened the door and told me to F Off. I felt like pulling a Schwarzenegger from True Lies on his camper.

he would have opened the door if teh camper suddenly erupted in flames......

No honey badgers here in New England, but bag up a Paper Wasp's nest and toss that in the door.

Yup, if you snag it at about 30 degrees or so you're safe, tuck it just inside the door of the camper and wait for it to warm up.

I actually know where there is one about 1' tall and 8" diameter 5 feet off the ground if anyone is in need.

So the "natives" resent the flat landers coming in and buying up property? Who the hell do they think sold it to them?[rolleyes]

So the "natives" resent the flat landers coming in and buying up property? Who the hell do they think sold it to them?[rolleyes]
traitors.

My parents had a place in southern NH - Dad would always walk down the driveway pistol in hand, the first time we went up, in the Spring.

Never found active occupants, but one time we found people had lived there over the winter..... And my dad was accepted by the locals.

traitors.

My parents had a place in southern NH - Dad would always walk down the driveway pistol in hand, the first time we went up, in the Spring.

Never found active occupants, but one time we found people had lived there over the winter..... And my dad was accepted by the locals.

Locals are almost like people: Even when they "accept" a person they don't all agree.

Well if I do buy land up there I'll more likely than not post it. If the yokels give me some trouble about it then the added stress it places on me may cause me to forget about the leaf covered bear traps I had strategically put out.

Well if I do buy land up there I'll more likely than not post it. If the yokels give me some trouble about it then the added stress it places on me may cause me to forget about the leaf covered bear traps I had strategically put out.

Two words: punji. stick.
61b0f3d3f6255261197e967767292a56.jpg

Oops.

Two words: punji. stick.

Oops.

That's an intentional trap. I would never do that. But I may wish to do some fur trapping on my private property (posted land). I would have the land posted to protect trespassers from getting hurt on the traps. But if they criminally trespass and get hurt in one of my traps - then I can't see how the landowner could then be held responsible. You see what I'm saying here?

That's an intentional trap. I would never do that. But I may wish to do some fur trapping on my private property (posted land). I would have the land posted to protect trespassers from getting hurt on the traps. But if they criminally trespass and get hurt in one of my traps - then I can't see how the landowner could then be held responsible. You see what I'm saying here?

Cleaning up bodies is messy? That's all I took from that, sorry... [devil2]

There is currently no trap on the market that if a person were to step in or on that would get hurt on. Even if you were trapping K9's with a number 4 it wouldn't happen.
Also if your property is open for the public to use, with out charging a fee, for hunting, fishing, hiking etc... (This does not include mechanical devices mountain bikes, atv's, snow machines and such) you protected from litigation by state law.

...in Massachusetts. But as the thread discusses, we're talking about land up north. As far as the trap goes... I'll leave you with this:

images

http://www.amazon.com/15-Grizzly-Bear-Trap/dp/B00021UX68

Read the first review - about how it's great for thieves as well...

But as discussed - I'm not trying to hurt people. That would mean malicious intent. I'm just trying to make use of the renewable resources on my land. If some douchebag strolls into my traps on my posted land - well that's not my fault or problem... [thinking]

Last edited:
...in Massachusetts. But as the thread discusses, we're talking about land up north. As far as the trap goes... I'll leave you with this:

images

http://www.amazon.com/15-Grizzly-Bear-Trap/dp/B00021UX68

But as discussed - I'm not trying to hurt people. That would mean malicious intent. I'm just trying to make use of the renewable resources on my land. If some douchebag strolls into my traps on my posted land - well that's not my fault or problem... [thinking]
plus douchebags are always in season, by any means you see fit.

Okay They are on the market, I forgot about those as they are not allowed for use here in New England. There is no Bear trapping season in New Hampshire or Vermont.

Maine allows Bear Trapping and these are the allowed methods and that trap is not one of them.

"Black Bear Trapping Regulations'

"You may trap a bear in Maine from September 1 to October 31. One cage style trap or foothold snare set at or below ground level may be used to trap bears. A special trapping permit is required for residents ($27) or nonresidents and aliens ($67)."

So typical of this site, the I Gotcha Game, NOT!!!!!

That looks like a foothold to me...

Back
Top Bottom