• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying with meat

Broc

NES Member
Starting this because I had to do a bit of research online and fly twice to work things out.

Also @Spartan65 was asking about this.

From reading, I found 4 ways of doing this:

1. Checking a hard cooker.
Positives: easy.
Negative: have to find a size that fits + around 12lbs will be the cooler. If flying first class with Delta, you can check up to 2 70lbs bags. So this might not be an issue - but one of those 2 bags will probably be your gun.

2. Carry on (1) - backpack cooler. A few companies make these. No weight limit.
Negative: can get expensive. But not bad if you will be traveling often.

3. Carry on (2) - in your suit case inside a collapsible cooler or packed between clothes. No weight limit. Some collapsible coolers can get expensive when buying several.

4. Checked bag with a collapsible cooler inside.

I prefer #3 and #4. I found it to be the easiest way.

Sometimes flying first class is cheaper than paying an overweight fee, so when I went to michigan I flew first class and checked all the meat.
When flying to FL the first class upgrade was stupid expensive, about double the ticket cost so for this trip I am checking part of the meat and carrying a cooler in my carry on with 10lbs of meat.

After a lot of research, I chose the Ice Mule coolers. They are on sale once in a while. I found several videos of the coolers holding ice, in the sun, for over 12hrs. From Michigan to MA, the meat was not frozen, I put it in the cooler around 6pm and didn't get home until almost 2am. I out some ice in the cooler (fine when checking the bag), and the ice didn't melt by the time I arrived home.

Now I am packing to fly back to MA. 3 of the 4 coolers in the checked bag.

FUTURE UPGRADES:
Instead of a hard side checked bag, I will put the coolers in a duffel bag. That will give me around 8-9lbs of additional weight I can use.

Almost 2 pigs. Rest are in my carry on. I could fit the 2 pigs, but I would have had to pay for overweight.

20240106_092222.jpg

Last edited:
TSA looked at my carry on in the scanner for a minute, asked if that was a bone and if I had meat. I told them I had meat and they let it go through. They didn't ask me to open my bag.

First dude thought it was fish. What? ... I guess it makes sense flying back from FL.

Forget flying with it. Pack it with dry ice and ship it to yourself overnight, or 2 day. That's how butcher box and all those online meat order places do it.
Probably cheaper to buy a seat for a large cooler than to ship it.

I’m still trying to figure out how to get 2-300lbs of stereo equipment back here from FL.

Put it in a cooler and fly it?

I’m thinking now that might have been an option!

I’m thinking you, @Broc and I fly to FL together…

Go hog and alligator hunting, I’ll swing by and grab the stereo equipment and we can rent a van to transport all the meat and such back and do a hell of a road trip back to MA…

Post ”IN”

Forget flying with it. Pack it with dry ice and ship it to yourself overnight, or 2 day. That's how butcher box and all those online meat order places do it.
Clearly, you didn't do any research, posting for the sake of posting something.

Did you look at the costs of shipping overnight?

Dry ice requires special packaging, and not every State has easy access to dry ice.

You don't need dry ice to ship overnight, a regular insulated shipping container would be more than enough.

Last edited:

Go hog and alligator hunting, I’ll swing by and grab the stereo equipment and we can rent a van to transport all the meat and such back and do a hell of a road trip back to MA…

Post ”IN”

I should be flying to FL for the final of Copa America in Miami. I will probably go to Tampa, hang out for a couple of days then drive to Miami.

So we could work something out if you want.

Still pending on whenever tickets go on sale.

I should be flying to FL for the final of Copa America in Miami. I will probably go to Tampa, hang out for a couple of days then drive to Miami.

So we could work something out if you want.

Still pending on whenever tickets go on sale.
Hells yeah!

I sense an epic road trip thread in the making….

Good thread! [thumbsup] I like those Ice Mules. Often during my travels I might have something I'd like to bring back but don't have a great way to transport frozen meat, fish, or other food.

Clearly, you didn't do any research, posting for the sake of posting something.

Did you look at the costs of shipping overnight?

Dry ice requires special packaging, and not every State has easy access to dry ice.

You don't need dry ice to ship overnight, a regular insulated shipping container would be more than enough.

I don't need to do research because I've done it before..

Cooler bags and dry bags like in that pic you posted aren't cheap either. Overnight shipping isn't that expensive in comparison.

Dry ice does require special packaging, it's called a plastic bag. It also doesn't melt into water like regular ice does. This has advantages when you don't want water leaking all over the place or soaking your shit

As for the shipping point - see above.

Cooler bags and dry bags like in that pic you posted aren't cheap either. Overnight shipping isn't that expensive in comparison.

Dry ice does require special packaging, it's called a plastic bag. It also doesn't melt into water like regular ice does. This has advantages when you don't want water leaking all over the place or soaking your shit

Point #2. Read the "negative".
not bad if you will be traveling often.

The coolers can be purchased when they are on sale. When you spread the cost across several flights, they are not as expensive and can be used for other stuff, they are not single use.

You have fun shipping over 50lbs of meat and worrying about finding dry ice whenever you go hunting somewhere.

Last edited:
Point #2. Read the "negative".

The coolers can be purchased when they are on sale. When you spread the cost across several flights, they are not as expensive and can be used for other stuff, they are not single use.

You have fun shipping over 50lbs of meat and worrying about finding dry ice whenever you go hunting somewhere.

I'll give you that. If thos will be a reoccurring thing, you're right. Dry Ice is not that hard to find though. For example the fish store down the road from me has it. It's available if you know where to look.

I'll give you that. If thos will be a reoccurring thing, you're right. Dry Ice is not that hard to find though. For example the fish store down the road from me has it. It's available if you know where to look.

Assuming it is always in stock.
Assuming you are somewhere near a place that sells dry ice.

Example: I tried to get dry ice when I was in Michigan, the 3 places that carried it within a 30 minute drive were all out of stock.

This year I am going to Wyoming, we are going far from any cities.

While dry ice could work, and maybe you or someone else doesnt mind paying for overnight shipping, having to find a post office and planning your trip to ship it and leave on a convenient day, it is another thing that needs to be planned. What do you do when it falls apart?

Next time just donate the meat and save yourself some headaches. You can hunt hogs up north that are offspring of escapees. And you can use the cm.

Post ”IN”
In!

My daughter shipped their alligator meat. 75 pounds, 500 bucks! Fortunately, it is impossible get anything shipped to Livingston MT next day so they got their money back.

They can be full of all kinds of shit:

"Feral swine are known to carry at least 30 viral and bacterial diseases and nearly 40 parasites that can be transmitted to humans, pets, livestock, and other wildlife.

The most common way pathogens and parasites are transmitted from feral swine to humans is through handling and butchering feral swine or eating meat that has not been cooked thoroughly. Gloves should always be worn when handling feral swine carcasses, and meat should always be cooked to a safe internal temperature of 160oF in order to kill the parasites and pathogens that the animal may be carrying. Harmful organisms and pathogens, carried by feral swine, which can infect humans include diseases such as leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, brucellosis, tularemia, trichinellosis, swine influenza, salmonella, hepatitis and pathogenic E. coli. If you feel ill after coming into contact with or consuming feral swine meat, contact your physician or health department immediately."

Next time just donate the meat and save yourself some headaches. You can hunt hogs up north that are offspring of escapees. And you can use the cm.
With about 1/50th or less the odds of getting a hog as compared to down south in FL.

Unless your hunting IN Corbin Park...which if you can do that you don't care about the cost of shipping meat anyway.

You want to kill a hog, go south.

I'm going to lose my breakfast.... Disgusting...
Parasites are tasty once cooked to 160F.

Most organic things don't like Phosphoric Acid with a pH of like 2.8.

I'm not sure which is more gross, drinking the Pepsi/Coke or eating cooked maggots.

Marinate in a mix of Coke/Pepsi, Teriyaki or Italian to get the worms out.

Back
Top Bottom