• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023 Meat Pole

I will hit it next week with the cold front coming through. That should kick things into gear.

Im with @ThePreBanMan; I haven’t been feeling it this year. The rain, warmth, and having a good sized chunk of lumbar vertebrae removed in may has left me ambivalent this year.

Bob
Same here.....have all my gear ready. However, more into working on moving out of this state, than hunting this year.

I'll get out there end of the week, might take a day off Friday if its nice.

Haven't scouted, no cams out, no expectations of anything really. Which makes it even feel like I'm wasting my time even more, especially in MA. I'm kinda in saving mode and resting on the deer hunting a bit, once I retire out of state....Ill probably go back to it more. Considering I put a lot of big bucks on the wall from in my 20's and 30's.....not a focus for me.

So if I get lucky for once that's great.........kind done working at it and spending time and money on it. At least for now.

Last edited:
Back for an afternoon sit. Bumped about 10 turkeys on my way to the blind. All right by my ground blind 😂
Same here. Maine opener. No deer but about 30 gobblers on my access road. Found the workings of beaver as well.

Soaking wet but the campfire sure feels good

Attachments

• IMG_7754.png
    IMG_7754.png
    12.9 MB · Views: 35
Middle daughter and I drove to Gettysburg for a horseback battlefield tour on Friday. Back Saturday.

On the way out, we saw 15 deer on teh side of the road plus one massive grease-spot in the passing lane. First 2 deer were in. . . . . Rhode Island. South County - including a buck.

The way back, we only saw 7, but traveling later in the day to give teh PA crews time to clean them up. Last one was. . . . . South County. LOL

That SC buck was a fork but he was HUGE. Maybe he had tines snapped off in the hit.

Stats say that 450 deer a day bite it in Penn alone. That's over 160,000 a year to you and me.

My son 8am this morning. Good crock pot deer right there. The tc impact scores another one for the freezer.

25 yard shot he hit a little high but nicked a lung, damaged the spine and popped the diagram. Dropped in its tracks and died before he got to it cant ask for more than that. 20231112_085438.jpg

I forgot to post my successful hunting from this year.
Last Monday night I got no sleep because my dog was constantly shaking her head and in discomfort. So I didn't go to the jobsite Tuesday and went to the vets (she's fine: just an ear infection).
Later that day, I had a Dr's appointment myself, so on the way i voted. 2:45 was my appt, but he gave me an order for blood work (TB test). I figured I might as well get it done now, so I drove next door to the lab and they took me right in and did a draw. My day was totally frigged up.
Anyways, to make a long story shorter, I got home at 4, grabbed the rifle, and walked out to my hut which is about 100 yards from.where I've seen a lot of bucks on my camera.
Here are a couple of them:
f14d01dd-609b-4fde-80d2-58bf16c6e2c7.jpg bf3bfa6b-0e53-4105-b369-249436d1ae8b.jpg Resized_EK000008_311996653184678.jpeg

Well, I wasn't sitting there 10 minutes when I see this little guy come out. Not the one i was looking for, but good enough. I put down the book i was reading and shot him. 20231107_164846.jpg

Bood trail was very easy to follow in the dark after I went back to the house to get my tractor and some lights. Double lung: he went maybe 75 yards.

Not a bad way to end a “totally frigged up” day. Nice work.
that’s what I’m saying! And the luxury to read a book too while waiting.

Pat, did your beech trees produce this year? I’m overrun with them and the deer ate so much beechnut they had diarrhea.

that’s what I’m saying! And the luxury to read a book too while waiting.

Pat, did your beech trees produce this year? I’m overrun with them and the deer ate so much beechnut they had diarrhea.
I swear the beech nuts were 6" deep in spots. I've got a bunch of them around my property.

Sad story - my wife was out walking our daughter's dog, with said daughter, on Sat afternoon. Passed by the neighbor blowing his leaves. "Hey Bob. How's it going."

"Not too good. That deer that was eating my zucchini was in the yard this morning. Nice buck. Pissed me off that it was Sunday."

. . . . . .

It was Saturday. You retirees - be sure you know what day it is.

Sad story - my wife was out walking our daughter's dog, with said daughter, on Sat afternoon. Passed by the neighbor blowing his leaves. "Hey Bob. How's it going."

"Not too good. That deer that was eating my zucchini was in the yard this morning. Nice buck. Pissed me off that it was Sunday."

. . . . . .

It was Saturday. You retirees - be sure you know what day it is.
Or just hunt in nh where they don't have the bullshit no Sunday hunting rule.

View attachment 817330

Good trip in VT this week, the bear are out there we had 4 encounters and this guy gave a shot opportunity 157 LBS dressed. Buddies son got the shot. Just awesome.
I'm jealous! This is my next goal. Maybe this spring. Were you hunting over bait? We can't do that here. It's all spot and stalk.

I'm jealous! This is my next goal. Maybe this spring. Were you hunting over bait? We can't do that here. It's all spot and stalk.
No bait, no dogs. They are just thick in VT these days. I would think next year all five of us fill a bear tag. We were in for deer but the bear have decimated the fawns the last few years.

I missed a shot opportunity on a bear yesterday not being ready. Lesson learned.

Was in NYS 8s for the opening day. Took a big bodied spike and should have filled my doe tag but hesitated. 7 guy’s hunting, 5 bucks taken….Great weekend.

Attachments

• 72230570575__B2A2B6EA-8814-46BF-867E-AC5008DFA165.jpeg
    72230570575__B2A2B6EA-8814-46BF-867E-AC5008DFA165.jpeg
    906.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 72202225469__27EC6D23-239E-49CD-AFB8-B510C22DEE11.jpeg
    72202225469__27EC6D23-239E-49CD-AFB8-B510C22DEE11.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 72202015934__36DA54F5-2674-4433-A36B-707E84E307FD.jpeg
    72202015934__36DA54F5-2674-4433-A36B-707E84E307FD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
Finally tagged one. Not a good shot I'm upset. Tracked him about 100 yards after I waited about 15 to track him. When I got to him he ran.....put another one in him and hit too far back. Gut shot. I did the best I could dressing him out.
Never hit the gut ever. Not sure ehat to expect from this meat.

20231124_085426.jpg

Back
Top Bottom